Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Curil T
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Need to connect oil lines (3/8" NPT) and oil psi sensor extension. Is Curil T OK for this application?
r_towle
I dont think so.

I think that Curil T is the anarobic sealer that only works under pressure.

I ordered the locktight high temp thread sealer..up to 600 degrees.

Rich
Aaron Cox
i didnt use any sealant on the oil pressure sender relocation hose. its a tapered pipe fitting iirc (1/8 NPT), no leaks.

on my 3/8 npt elbow for the fullflow back into the case, i used teflon tape.. let me know if i need to pull it out and use a sealant.
Matt Romanowski
NPT doesn't really need anything, but teflon tape or putty is the right stuff. Really anything would do it on a npt thread (some are better than others). Anerobic is not correct. I would go with a teflon paste as made by loctite.

Anerobics don't need pressure, just the lack of oxygen. Some have other properties that they need something from the metal to start setting.

Aaron, you have to be careful that non of the tape is too close to the end and can come off. If it gets into the oil passages......
Aaron Cox
yep, no danger of it coming off... started at the tail end of thread 1.
yeahmag
Crap. Somewhere I read to use Curil-T for the case halves. Am I screwed?

brer
So what are the proper uses for Curil T?

its characteristics?

other uses? Let's hear it. rocking nana.gif
StratPlayer
The only place that I've used Curil T. I applied some on the bottom of the cylinders where the gasket fits and also on the bottom bolt washer of the heads. I sealed my case with Curil K2. Don't think Curil T is used for sealing cases.
DBCooper
Be VERY careful with teflon tape on tapered threads into castings. lt's very easy to overtighten without realizing it and cracking the case or, more common with the oil sender, pulling out the threads. And good luck trying to re-thread it. NPT is close, but not exactly the same pitch. Teflon tape (not sealer) is also a pretty good insulator, meaning you won't be getting any readings from that sensor anyway unless the threads have broken through the tape. When that happens people tend to lean a bit harder tightening the sensor, making things worse.
Jake Raby
No, Curil T is not for thread surfaces, it is a flange sealant... Use loctite 565 for those threads or a similar Teflon pipe threadsealant.
mike373
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 5 2007, 06:00 AM) *

No, Curil T is not for thread surfaces, it is a flange sealant... Use loctite 565 for those threads or a similar Teflon pipe threadsealant.

Is Loctite 565 PST the same thing????

Mike
r_towle
Loctite PST 592
High temp up to 400 degrees F
Thread sealant.

LOCTITE® 574™ seals close fitting joints between rigid metal
faces and flanges. The product cures when confined in the
absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. Provides
resistance to low pressures immediately after assembly of
flanges. Typically used as a form-in-place gasket on rigid
flanged connections, e.g. gearbox and engine casings, etc.
The thixotropic nature of LOCTITE® 574™ reduces the
migration of liquid product after application to the substrate.

Curil T is a Non-Hardening, Temperature Resistant Sealing Compound and forms an excellent seal where abnormally high internal pressures exist even at extreme temperatures. It is particularly suitable for sealing against mineral oils, synthetic oils, greases, diesel and motor fuels, alcoholic solvents, gases, air, water and seawater. For applications, Curil T has a synthetic base which is ideally suited for sealing combustion engines, turbo blower exhausts, turbines, generators, gearboxes, pumps and other power units as well as threaded connections of all kinds. This is especially appropriate for sealing the square Wasserboxer Cylinder Head Seal to the Crankcase. Temperature Range of Curil T is approximately -40c to approximately +250c.

Curil K2 is a Non-Hardening Sealing Compound which can be applied with an excellent sealing effect on assemblies which require minimum torque loss and where high surface adhesion is required. Components with groove surfaces can be sealed efficiently and will remain functional under conditions of mechanical, chemical and thermal stress. The components can be easily dismantled. Curil K2 can be applied with a brush with the optional hand-pump that screws to the tin can it comes in. It insures great effectiveness in the sealing of internal combustion engines, gearboxes, pumps and other power units and particularly at disconnecting points such as cylinder head base gaskets, gearhousing gaskets and threaded connections of all kinds. This is especially appropriate for engine crankcase halves, cylinder base, alternator/generator tower and fuel pump mounting base. Also for the Cylinder Head Nuts on the Wasserboxer where they have to be sealed when torqued on. Temperature Range of Curil K2 is approximately -40c to approximately +200c.

John
I regularly use curil T when assembling flanged surfaces with gaskets such as chain tensioner housings.

I use loctite 574 for case halves with no gaskets.

Here is a link to some Elring sealing compounds:

Elring Sealing Compounds

P.S. for threads, I would either use pipe dope, or a sealant designed for the task (not curil k2) I haven't had too many pipe connections leak. Be careful not to over tighten.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.