Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need Help ID'ing Springs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
I thought I would stiffen the backend of the green 74 with 180LB springs and lower it in the process. When I took the old springs off, it took very little compression to remove them.

As I compared them with the new 180LB springs, I see that they are exactly the same length as the current ones. I don't know what the current springs are. I thought they were stock but they look a lot different than the stock springs I took off the 71.

The 71 stock spring is on the right, the currrent one in the center and the new spring on the left. I measured the spring diameters:

71: 0.382 inch
74: 0.442 inch
180LB: 0.479 inch

The 74 springs have red paint on each of the coils. Can someone tell me what I have on the car?

It looks like I can lower the car a bit with the lower perch. The ring is on the center groove and there's another groove about 1/4 inch lower.

Thanks,
Spoke
r_towle
Stock on right
Middle is either 140 lb or 180 lb
Left is a progressive spring that gets stiffer as you compress it, so it will be stiffer than the middle one.
Joe Ricard
Only stiffer when you really lean on the suspension. soft while running around like a sane person. Not great for Autocross in my opinion as it allows too much wieght transfer in fast transition moves.

Sorry got the next event on my brain.
Spoke
OK, the easy part of this job was that the springs didn't need compressing before removal plus the shock bolts were recently removed during 5-lug conversion thus came right out. Took about 10 minutes to change the springs.

The sucky part is that the new springs didn't lower the car one bit. I guess I'll just have to put a bigger hunk of a motor in the back to compress the springs some more. dry.gif

Now that this job is complete, it's time to start re-working the fenders to smooth the flares out and paint.

Spoke
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.