Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: battery relocation help or hinder?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
whats the general thought about relocating the battery to the front. i've got konis heavier springs and am putting in stock front bar. does the battery relocation actually help or hinder weight distribution? where did you mount your forward battery?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(orange914 @ Apr 4 2007, 07:16 PM) *

whats the general thought about relocating the battery to the front. i've got konis heavier springs and am putting in stock front bar. does the battery relocation actually help or hinder weight distribution? where did you mount your forward battery?

only the factory location. With an optima battery acid spill is a thing of the past and with the tough coat we apply to the tray, then the poly paint and the battery mat, we have a battery located where we do not have to do any special routing of wires, it is close to the starter, it is ventilated and provides the best weight distribution.
jd74914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 5 2007, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ Apr 4 2007, 07:16 PM) *

only the factory location. With an optima battery acid spill is a thing of the past and with the tough coat we apply to the tray, then the poly paint and the battery mat, we have a battery located where we do not have to do any special routing of wires, it is close to the starter, it is ventilated and provides the best weight distribution.

Best weight distribution? blink.gif

The car is a little bit rear heavy. Kenny, why would you want to relocate the battery? Unless you are doing a lot of AXing (and even then its not that big a deal for a daily driver car) I think you should leave it in the back. Its just an unnecessary hassle to run the wires to the front and you also loose some trunk space.
Borderline
the best spot I've seen was on Nathan's car. He mounted a small battery between the seats right next to the fire wall. This will lower the CG but still not need the weight of a super long battery cable.
Spoke
Mine was moved to the trunk and when I repainted the trunk, I relocated the battery back to where it came from. Didn't have an OEM replacement tray so I used the aftermarket tray that came with the car.

Mike D.
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 5 2007, 12:49 PM) *

Mine was moved to the trunk and when I repainted the trunk, I relocated the battery back to where it came from. Didn't have an OEM replacement tray so I used the aftermarket tray that came with the car.

Does your 914 have a sink? blink.gif

poke.gif
Joe Ricard
Sink... funny

I put my Odessy PC680 on the engine tray against the fire wall laying flat. 12lbs that is lower and still between the wheels is best I can do.

Even a PC680 laying flat on the stock tray would be an improvement.
machina
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Apr 5 2007, 03:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 5 2007, 12:49 PM) *

Does your 914 have a sink? blink.gif

poke.gif

too big for a sink drain, must be the wastewater main. av-943.gif
IronHillRestorations
Unless it's a race car, I wouldn't do any other location than stock. As George pointed out the Optima solves acid corrosion problems, and odds are pretty strong that once repaired your 914's battery tray won't see the problems that have brought it to it's current condition.

FWIW I had an Optima last 11 years in a 914! Don't know if you'll get one to last that long, but it didn't eat up the car either.
davep
I'm with George on this also. Keep the starter cable as short as possible. If you double the length, then double this cable diameter (or run two in parallel).
Tobra
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 5 2007, 06:16 PM) *

I'm with George on this also. Keep the starter cable as short as possible. If you double the length, then double this cable diameter (or run two in parallel).

straight up physics thumb3d.gif

Dude, why would you want to start cuttin' up that pretty signal car to move the battery?
orange914
QUOTE(Tobra @ Apr 5 2007, 07:22 PM) *

QUOTE(davep @ Apr 5 2007, 06:16 PM) *

straight up physics thumb3d.gif

Dude, why would you want to start cuttin' up that pretty signal car to move the battery?

i thought i'd aleast research the idea before buttoning up the tunnel from the fuel line conversion. got the pic, thanks thats where i thought the pump would go. tight fit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.