Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Throttle Cable Removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tracks914
Yup, mine broke and jammed inside the tube. It was so old that I think the nylon sheathing material broke apart and while pulling it through it jammed up with the head of the cable. I couldn't push it back so I had no choice but to pull it until it broke! headbang.gif headbang.gif
Now about 1/2 way inside the tube I have a bunch of cable, nylon and a section of thread all stuck and it won't drive out. So far I have tried taking 2 - 12" welding rods (welded together) and was able to drive it about 3 " until it just got too tight. I tried welding a small drill bit to the end of the rod but as you can guess, it didn't last too long until it broke.
Next I am going to try a grease fitting on the end of the tube and pump it out but after that I am afraid I will have to surgically remove the tube from the car and replace it. sawzall-smiley.gif
Any thoughts????
I'm giving thought to trying a Hilti Powder actuated tool to blast it out (22 cal) ar15.gif but I think it might just blow the tube apart!!!
r_towle
jeez, what did you get yourself into.

Down here at the local hobby shops or the local harware store, you can buy 3 foot (1 meter) sections of brass rod in loads of diameters..

Go for that, the tube is not that long...

Rich
tracks914
I must add this. With 3/16th welding rod as a driving member, if I have any more than 2" sticking out of the tube at the rear (while holding it with vise grips) and driving it with the largest ball pean hammer in my box, it still buckles and bends the rod.
I might try the grease gun first, if nothing else it might lube the tube in the forward section of the line and if that doesn't work I'll see if I can put some heat to the tube in the tunnel to soften up the nylon.
tracks914
Well I'm done with it. After 4 hours of trying to drive or drill it out I gave up.
I cut the tunnel behind the center support (between the rear firewall and the center support) and cut out the section that was plugged/jammed.
Now I am going to cut the throttle tube just in front of the heater cable tubes and run the new throttle cable through the right heater cable tube to the throttle cable tube and hope I can keep it all clear from the shifting mechanisms.
marks914
I had the same problem
I ended up using some hard brake line and fabbing a new tube right next to the old one. I also tried to use an old heater pull tube but the throttle cable kept getting caught on the clutch cable.

Mark
tracks914
QUOTE(marks914 @ Apr 6 2007, 05:02 PM) *

I also tried to use an old heater pull tube but the throttle cable kept getting caught on the clutch cable.

Mark

How was it getting caught? I was thinking of using the front 1/2 of the throttle tube and cut it and bend it over to the heater tube??? Was yours getting caught in the tunnel or behind the fire wall?
Tx
marks914
Mine was etting caught in the tunnel up by the clutch pedal pull.

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.