Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: California Speedway 03-24 and 03-25 POC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentCalifornia Speedway interior roadcourse, 1.8 mile March 24 and 25, 2007, POC short track series . My son Matt and nephew Shane co-drive the '74 2.0 in CI class.
This was the "Father and Son " project 914 from last year (from 914 club) , now at its 3rd STS event.
Marty
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentGrid line up for CI class, we are behind #40, green car is Jeff E. from Aase Motors, and first black 914 is Reagan S. , she is quite a hot shoe in the class!
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentIn the front straight, the course is 1.8 miles long and really works a 100 hp engine.
Momentum is the key word !
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentGetting the chicane into the front straight = a decent drag race !
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentI couldn't resist the interior shot , just finished the belts for this event.
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachmentThe interior road course can be demanding on big HP cars. There is not enough "Soft" run off areas at this track, lots of concrete K rails, chain link fence, etc. This 911 in Red class went off in the first set of turns after the front straight. He got off course, went thru the grass and gravel and smacked right up into the concrete, driver not hurt ( the cage did its stuff). This happened almost in the same vicinity as the ill fated CGT in 2005 that claimed 2 lives (NOT a POC/ PCA event). Rumor is that the track ownership won't do anything about softening up the interior road course. So I guess that you best come well prepared safety-wise at Ca. Speedway , but one helluva fun track!
Marty
drew365
Glad you had a good time. I didn't attend, I hope to be ready to run the weekend of the Tribute in two weeks. The red 911 that hit the wall is in my class. We often run together and are usually very competitive with each other. He's a good guy and a good driver. I've never worried when we were in tight quarters trying pass each other. That must have hurt. It's usually the walls on the banking coming out of two that worry me more than the infield.
Maltese Falcon
Drew, yes that driver is a nice character, we garaged near his red 911.We were wondering why it took so long for his return from the run group, then we heard the bad news about the mishap.
We should be up at Willow/ Tribute also, Matt and I will be with the Aase Motors folks, doing pit duties.
Marty
yarin
Nice pics, thanks for sharing!

Keep an eye on the PCA rules. I believe in 2008 they will not allow harnesses with stock seats. And the passenger must have the same configuration safety equipment as the driver.

I'll be working my 2.0 this weekend at Pocono...
john rogers
I was looking at the interior picture and noted the shoulder belts go around the headrest of your stock seats. I would recommend getting a chest strap that connects both shoulder belts together so your sholders will not pull out if you have an impact. This happened to a driver of a VW Bug at an HSR West race at Willow Springs a few years ago and his belts went around the top part of his seat. When he T-boned the Datsun his shoulders came out and he hit his face in the steering wheel, very hard. His strap was behind the seat where a VARA tech had told him to install it as he was too tall for the regular seat belt slots to work!
sean_v8_914
ouch. I would recomend race seat for competitive driving. It allows you to use your hands and arms to drive rather than holding on for dear life. my car is in CS and I had a hard time staying in teh seat in teh corners. she sticks sooo good on Victorracers. with the Hoosiers, I ended up in teh passenger's seaton hard lefties
Maltese Falcon
Eventually we will do a solo racing seat. My kid needs to drive this to high school daily, so I want it kinda stock looking for now. The bolsters down in the seat are fabricated SS sheet metal, then worked around with stiff foam and upholstered in German vinyl. The butt stays put pretty good--I agree nothing beats a dedicated race seat--this will do for this season.
The euro P/C s go in for 2008, should be a rocket at 115 bhp biggrin.gif
Marty
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.