Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Regarding rear wings...........
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Dominic L
Would like some opinions from people who have tried the rear wings in autocross. Is the difference noticeable?
Joe Ricard
Course dependant.
The last event was on a runway so it was fast lane change and slalom we were in the top of zd 3rd with thoughts of going to 4th. in this instance yes it helped allot.

Slow courses not so much. if a region makes courses that keep me in 2nd gear I usually don't gop back.

One thing we noticed is there is hardly no rubber dust collecting on the back of the car now. Over 100 MPH it is very stable once I added the 6" splitter blade.
URY914
I worked on my big rear wing last night. It will be 68" wide and dual plane (two wings). biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Pics Paul ??????
How many Sq. ft. will that be?
Dominic L
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 5 2007, 09:11 AM) *

Course dependant.
The last event was on a runway so it was fast lane change and slalom we were in the top of zd 3rd with thoughts of going to 4th. in this instance yes it helped allot.

Slow courses not so much. if a region makes courses that keep me in 2nd gear I usually don't gop back.

One thing we noticed is there is hardly no rubber dust collecting on the back of the car now. Over 100 MPH it is very stable once I added the 6" splitter blade.

Joe, ever considered a biwing for more low speed down force like the one on this mazda? I know it looks like a parachute and needs more hp to drive but it may help in the lower speed sections of the course. I'm going to look into one and see how i fare. Too much time on my hands I guess!!

BTW, I looked at your car on putfile. Nice ride! One question. Can you mount the side dams on your wing with the bigger side up? I would think less air would spill off the sides of the wing that way. Just a thought.
Joe Ricard
I don't think there is much air spilling off the ends of the wing.
Limit is 6" above the roof like including the end plate. I am at 4" now when I put the angle at full tilt and I re-level the endplates.

Close enough till I redesign it. Limit on end plates is 200 Sq in. I made the plates under the old rules 100 sq in. they have a great effect against rearend sliding. plus the solid stands it feels like I have a rudder.
Dominic L
Thanks for the replies, Joe. Good luck in your racing!
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 8 2007, 10:18 AM) *

I made the plates under the old rules 100 sq in. they have a great effect against rearend sliding. plus the solid stands it feels like I have a rudder.

Great info! Watching these threads and seeing the wings on dirt track cars I had a strong feeling that our oversteer happy 914s would really benefit from big side plates on a wing in AX. You can just imagine the rear end trying to swing out and then pushing against the extra air up there, producing the rudder effect. beerchug.gif
URY914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 6 2007, 06:06 AM) *

Pics Paul ??????
How many Sq. ft. will that be?

bye1.gif
Joe Ricard
Cool your fiberglass skills amaze me.
Nice looking tool.
What kind of internal supports are you going to use in the final product.
I think it might collapse if it is hollow.
URY914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 10 2007, 05:50 AM) *

Cool your fiberglass skills amaze me.
Nice looking tool.
What kind of internal supports are you going to use in the final product.
I think it might collapse if it is hollow.

Actually the corrigated cardboard is very stiff when bonded to the ribs.
I'm going to leave it hollow and cover it with a couple of layers of f/glass cloth.
Joe Ricard
You know I might have to order one of those pending your testing results.

Well as soon as you get to attend another Event. I am up over about 100 runs on you since we bought them fancy slicks last year.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.