Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help needed to test my tachometer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgelinas
I want to test my tach without hooking it up in the dash. I just need to know what three wires need to be hooked up to the back of the tachometer on the three prongs. The electrical diagrams are very unclear (at least to me headbang.gif ).

The prongs are labeled

|+12 | +6 (blocked off) | 1 | - |

Here is how I think it needs to be hooked up -
"+12" = 12 volt positive
"1" = Negative from the coil
"-" = Hooked up to ground

If you know, please let me know as I do not want to cook this tach.

The reason I want to test outside of the dash is that I installed an electronic ignition and when the positive and negative circuit is complete, the inline resistor only allows the ignition positive wire to output 8 volts of power to the ignition. Once I verify I can make the tach work, I will add a separate 12 volt positive to feed the wire to keep my ignition wire to the coil/ignition box at 12 volts.

Please advise.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(dgelinas @ Apr 5 2007, 08:08 AM) *

I want to test my tach without hooking it up in the dash. I just need to know what three wires need to be hooked up to the back of the tachometer on the three prongs. The electrical diagrams are very unclear (at least to me headbang.gif ).

The prongs are labeled

"+12" = 12 volt positive

The reason I want to test outside of the dash is that I installed an electronic ignition and when the positive and negative circuit is complete, the inline resistor only allows the ignition positive wire to output 8 volts of power to the ignition. Once I verify I can make the tach work, I will add a separate 12 volt positive to feed the wire to keep my ignition wire to the coil/ignition box at 12 volts.

Please advise.

yup. Just looked at Mike Cooleys old car to verify!!!!!!!!!! (boy it sure is looking good mike!!)
r_towle
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 5 2007, 11:48 AM) *

The prongs are labeled

"+12" = 12 volt positive

Please advise.

yup. Just looked at Mike Cooleys old car to verify!!!!!!!!!! (boy it sure is looking good mike!!)

HIJACK

OK George, now I have you cornered....a perfectly solid car...runs and drives great....drive it to hershey..
You cant say no...you might sell something...hell bring along a picture catalog of all the cars you have for sale and leave it on the 914 table...someone is bound to be looking for a car up at hershey...

Its once per year, and its East Coast...close enough to be part of your selling territory.

So, drive up Mike's car.

Rich
dgelinas
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 5 2007, 07:48 AM) *

The prongs are labeled

"+12" = 12 volt positive

Please advise.

Thanks for the confirmation George, I got it all hooked up.

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.