Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: GPS systems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sparky
I'm looking for a GPS system and was wondering if anyone had one that they would recommend. What features should I be looking for? Best bang for the buck? Easiest to use? I am after all a CSOB so the cheaper the better...

Thanks for any input folks!!

Mike D.
Sparky
Aside from auto-route and touch screen what else should I be looking for?
VaccaRabite
What do you want?
Do you want a hand held? In car only? 6 inch screen, or is 2 inch okay? Marine use? Is color inportant?

There are TONS of options for GPS at this point. I have a Garmin 76s handheld that I have used for about 4 years now. it kicks ass, has lots of bells and whistles and is relativly cheap (now), and it floats. But it does not have color, and won't read your directions to you.

Zach

r_towle
TOMTOM
seanery
Magellan Roadmate series. I've got a 300 and love it! I also have a Magellan Explorist XL (handheld for bike and motorcycle) and a bluetooth GPS so I can use Microsoft Streets & Trips on my pc and Ipaq.

I'm kind of a GPS junkie biggrin.gif
The Roadmate is the easiest to use, but the Explorist is cool, too.
mikelsr
I have a Garmin 2610. It must be plugged into the car (no batteries). It came with a 64MB memory card, it takes 2 GB to hold the maps for the US and Canada (so I bought one). Some of the newer ones have a hard drive built in to hold all of the maps and data. Make sure you can see the screen in bright light.

I like the turn by turn voice. I am thinking about a hand held unit for geocaching.
jim_hoyland
If there is a Staples near you, checkout the Finepoint 400.Our local store has one on display,they are around $299 with a $100 rebate; Don Traver has one in his 6 and showed it to us at one of Joe Sharps BBQ's.

Plugged into cig lighter and has a suction cup for windshield mount. Not to pricey.

Jim
Sparky
I'm looking fo something that will be used in the car only, has voice prompts, autoroute, is easily updated, atleast a 3" screen, and not going to have to sell my first born to purchase.
DonTraver
I've got a Magellan 760 that I paid $800 for and the Finepoint one I paid $299 with a $100 rebate at Staples. I like the Finepoint one better. The both have the 20 gig internal hard drives, so they both have the US and Canada preloaded.

The Staples rebate can be applied for on line and they will send back a confermation email back that they recieved it. Took about 3-4 weeks to get the rebate check.

Best deal I've seen yet.

Later, Don
computers4kids
QUOTE(Sparky @ Apr 6 2007, 06:29 AM) *

I'm looking fo something that will be used in the car only, has voice prompts, autoroute, is easily updated, atleast a 3" screen, and not going to have to sell my first born to purchase.

If you own a laptop you can buy a gps kit for around $125 that turns your laptop screen into a speaking gps. Basically it's an antenna that you plug into a usb device on your laptop and lay the antenna (about the size of a matchbook) on your dash (no other cords)...download your maps extra into your laptop and your'e set. Two of my colleagues each have one and I've been in a car and seen them work...pretty cool...now you have a 15" gps color screen.

I'm planning on getting one when I travel up to Washington this summer...it's a great deal if you have a laptop.

Do a search or go to a Office Depot...they should have them.

I off right now on Spring Break...but if you need a name remind me in a week and I'll ask.
Good Luck,
Mark
ConeDodger
I am on my 2nd GPS. Garmin 2620 I believe. It is a lifesaver. Do some basic programming for your preferences so it knows what language you want and if you want shortest distance or fastest time. Tell it if you want voice promts or simply map prompts. The voice prompts can be annoying.

I just ordered Yopu a TomTom... I guess they are a bit friendlier to the user who is less in to going in and setting menus...
Scott Carlberg
Andrew & I both have this Portable GPS

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4996371?s...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

$189 with FREE shipping
Sparky
Thanks for all the replies guys. I ended up ordering a TomTom 710. When push came to shove the reviews on it are great, TomTom just released a map update and this has all teh features I wanted plus some. I'll post a review once I recieve t and put it to use on a trip in a week.

My best to all,
Mike D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.