Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 V8 timing question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmmotorsports
Since there are no timing marks on the balencer I figured I could use the valves to find TDC. I have a stop in #1. #1 Both valves are closed. #8 both valves are closed. #4 exhaust is closed,intake is about 1/2 open. I am thinking that should be TDC on #1. Fireing order is 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 Can any of the chevy experts out there tell me if I am right or wrong or if there is a better way to do it.

Thanks,
Jerry
skline
I would mark the flywheel with the timing cover off, when both valves are closed on number 1 in the compression stroke and the marks line up on the timing gears, you mark the flywheel so it can be seen on top of the transmission hole. That is just how I do it. Others may have a different way?
jmmotorsports
The engine is in the car so the gears are no help now. I will put a timing mark on when I am sure it is at TDC

Thanks,
Jerry
drive-ability
If you have your piston stop in place (TDC) make a mark, then rotate the engine in the opposite direction until it stops again and mark that spot. Between the two marks is TDC. There is as you know and can likely feel a few degrees between the pistons up turn and down turn. This way gets it closer. The truth is time it as far advanced as you can without feeling it whiplash when starting. Normally thats going to get you where you want to be. I know, you really want to know down the the last degree, truth is most pointers are just indicator's at best. Race motors a different story... thats my take on this, I'm no expert drunk.gif
Howard
Kinda like finding the 'G' spot. I just twist it till it sounds right, back off a bit if it detonates. Wish I could help you more.
jimkelly
finding the G spot on a tranny is hard - but it can be done - don't ask me how I know : )
skline
Well, as I said, TDC is when the piston is at the top of the compression stoke with both valves closed. Good luck.
jmmotorsports
Thanks to all that replied. I was not trying to set timing,I use an Electromotive ignition so there is no dizzy. I needed the most accurete way to find TDC to set my crank trigger. The most accurete is the way drive-ability said.

Jerry
andys
At the point you're at, the piston stop method, as drive-ability explains, is your best immediate solution. You can actually get pretty darned close. Valve timing is way too vague and it is subject to timing events ground into the cam.

Andys
LvSteveH
I just ran into the same situation with my V8 914 two weeks ago. I used the piston stop method as mentioned, and marked the harmonic balancer from under the car. I also marked the FW through the hole on the bottom of the trans.

You have to have the car in the air to set timing, but it's very accurate, and easy to see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.