Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine compartment fuel line pics?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
davesprinkle
I've got a set of Racer Chris' fuel lines in my engine compartment, but I can't remember how the feed line is connected to the passenger-side fuel rail. Can anyone post a pic?

Thanks.
-dave sprinkle
MrKona
Hope this helps you out...

PP hose diagram
davesprinkle
Thanks, MrKona, for the link to the diagram. However, that's not what I need to know. I need the specifics of the rubber line that connects the hard line in the engine compartment to the passenger-side fuel rail. How does it route? How long is it? Does it have any bends? Are my hard lines in the right place? Etc. A picture is probably the best solution. Anybody got any pics? Thanks.
-dave
2-OH!
Dave:

It's not that big of a deal...Just come off the hard line with your FI hose and go to either end of the manifold...Just make certain you don't have any kinks, sharp bends or that the hose is rubbing up against anything else (particularly metal of any kind)...Length is up to you and the way you want to route your hoses back and forth across the engine bay...

Pressure into one end of the 3 & 4 manifold and out the other end...Across the engine bay to the 1 & 2 manifold...In one end and out the other end to the Fuel Pressure Regulator in the back left hand corner of the engine bay...Into the side fitting on the regulator and out the bottom fitting back across the engine bay to the return hard line...

I used the Racer Chris lines as well (good luck flaring them for "B" nuts) (Chris, you should install "B" nuts and flare as part of your kit) and purchased a brass reducer fitting at FLAPS...So, hard lines through the tunnel, 90 degree turn after exiting the firewall and then a fitting to reduce the large line to the same size as the small line...Mild steel hard lines bend and twist up through the engine shelf...There are two oblong holes in the shelf right under the battery tray...Must have grommets (buy new at FLAPS if the old ones are shot) through the shelf to protect the hard lines from chaffing on the shelf...Connect hose as above...

I do have pictures at home, but I am not smart enough to post them on this site...Sorry...

Good luck...

2-OH!

davesprinkle
QUOTE(2-OH! @ Apr 6 2007, 11:53 AM) *

Dave:

It's not that big of a deal...Just come off the hard line with your FI hose and go to either end of the manifold...Just make certain you don't have any kinks, sharp bends or that the hose is rubbing up against anything else (particularly metal of any kind)...Length is up to you and the way you want to route your hoses back and forth across the engine bay...

Pressure into one end of the 3 & 4 manifold and out the other end...Across the engine bay to the 1 & 2 manifold...In one end and out the other end to the Fuel Pressure Regulator in the back left hand corner of the engine bay...Into the side fitting on the regulator and out the bottom fitting back across the engine bay to the return hard line...

I used the Racer Chris lines as well (good luck flaring them for "B" nuts) (Chris, you should install "B" nuts and flare as part of your kit) and purchased a brass reducer fitting at FLAPS...So, hard lines through the tunnel, 90 degree turn after exiting the firewall and then a fitting to reduce the large line to the same size as the small line...Mild steel hard lines bend and twist up through the engine shelf...There are two oblong holes in the shelf right under the battery tray...Must have grommets (buy new at FLAPS if the old ones are shot) through the shelf to protect the hard lines from chaffing on the shelf...Connect hose as above...

I do have pictures at home, but I am not smart enough to post them on this site...Sorry...

Good luck...

2-OH!

10-4, 2-OH, roger that. I've got the: main hard lines, 3/8" rubber line, 5/16" rubber line, 3/8" to 5/16" adapter, grommets, engine compartment hard lines, rebuilt injectors, new injector seals, new 90' injector feed hoses, new clamps.

I'm aware that the injectors don't care HOW the rails are plumbed so in that sense I could route the feed line to any of the four rail-ends. The closest rail-end to the end of the hard line is at the rear of the passenger-side rail and seems to be the most obvious solution.

But my case, with the way I've got everything installed, this routing would force an awkward bend in the tubing. Sure, I could run the line elsewhere, but I suspect that the factory didn't want great loops of fuel line running all over the engine compartment, and neither do I. So that is what motivates my question, to wit: Does anyone have a pic of factory fuel line routing from hard line to passenger-side fuel rail? Come on, guys, this can't be that hard. Surely some kindly CW-type can post this for me? Humor my compulsion this once. Thanks.
-dave
2-OH!
Sorry Dave, I tried to get a picture, but you just cannot see the area after all the stuff is in the bay...My pressure line is the hard line closest to the passengers back...I came off that to the end of the manifold closest to the passengers back...There is no kinks, bends or turns, just a nice arc, probably 180 degrees, 8" long...That way, I could come out the back side of the manifold, run across and back against the back wall with the long runs so the hoses don't show very much...

This photo shows the hard line installation before the car went back together...

2-OH!

Click to view attachment

By the way, those are not kinks in the line but rather "Magic Marker" points for marking points to use for bends...
davesprinkle
QUOTE(2-OH! @ Apr 6 2007, 08:54 PM) *

Sorry Dave, I tried to get a picture, but you just cannot see the area after all the stuff is in the bay...My pressure line is the hard line closest to the passengers back...I came off that to the end of the manifold closest to the passengers back...There is no kinks, bends or turns, just a nice arc, probably 180 degrees, 8" long...That way, I could come out the back side of the manifold, run across and back against the back wall with the long runs so the hoses don't show very much...

This photo shows the hard line installation before the car went back together...

2-OH!

By the way, those are not kinks in the line but rather "Magic Marker" points for marking points to use for bends...

Thanks, 2-OH, for the pic. A few observations:
1. Looks like you're using compression fittings on the lines exiting the tunnel, rather than just clamping down on the line?
2. Your engine compartment lines terminate a few inches above the engine shelf. The engine lines from Chris run about a foot further into the compartment and terminate just short of the rear firewall. This is the crux of the problem -- Chris' line ends about 2" from the fuel rail, at a 90' angle. I suspect that Chris (because that's how Chris is) made his lines to be near exact replicas of the factory part. Yeah, I could hack them off and thereby obviate this whole painful conversation, but then I'd lose the sweet flare he put on the end.
3. Nice engine compartment. Very nice. Feeling a bit inadequate here.
4. Is that a bloodstain on the towel?
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Apr 6 2007, 07:09 PM) *
But my case, with the way I've got everything installed, this routing would force an awkward bend in the tubing. Sure, I could run the line elsewhere, but I suspect that the factory didn't want great loops of fuel line running all over the engine compartment, and neither do I.

Ah, now you get to a specific question that is easy to answer.

The fuel goes in to the rear-most fitting on the passenger's side fuel rail. The tubing does bend, but it's not "awkward" in my opinion.

--DD
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Apr 6 2007, 09:17 PM) *

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Apr 6 2007, 07:09 PM) *
But my case, with the way I've got everything installed, this routing would force an awkward bend in the tubing. Sure, I could run the line elsewhere, but I suspect that the factory didn't want great loops of fuel line running all over the engine compartment, and neither do I.

Ah, now you get to a specific question that is easy to answer.

The fuel goes in to the rear-most fitting on the passenger's side fuel rail. The tubing does bend, but it's not "awkward" in my opinion.

--DD

Thanks for confirming that, DD. Any chance you've got a pic so I can see where my setup mis-conforms? Thanks.
-dave
2-OH!
Yep, I could not use Chris's, short line kit, so I made my own from mild steel...Easier to bend, flare and work with...The original plastic lines varied in length but most terminated roughly in the area you see in the picture...Plus, it sure makes it easier...

Brass AN fittings with flares and "B" nuts...

No, not blood on that towel, but I have others that do, believeeee me...

2-OH!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.