Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Rod Set Screws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
Will regular set screws work until I find suitable replacements?

My set screws are boogered up (stripped out somehow)....

I need some set screws....is this a Porsche stocked item?
SGB
Porsche should have 'em, and they aren't just set screws b/c they taper- cone screw is the term. I don't think they are at Home Depot, but I haven't looked...
Joe Ricard
Just spend the money
get the from any of the 914 parts houses
911quest
I have the rear shift rod with coupler and new bushing it might still have the set screw come pick it up with those heads and other misc. crap
Bartlett 914
Hi Britt.

I plan on making them. I have a couple you can have. Let me know if you want them and how you want them shipped.
Gint
You can make a temp cone screw out of a regular bolt. Got a grinder?
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 6 2007, 08:30 AM) *

I plan on making them.

Why would you go to the trouble? They are only 2 bucks at any Porsche parts place.
Gint
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 6 2007, 08:14 AM) *
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 6 2007, 08:30 AM) *

I plan on making them.
Why would you go to the trouble? They are only 2 bucks at any Porsche parts place.
Speaking for myself, if I wanted to get my car on the road right now and a Porsche dealer wasn't handy, I'd whip one up until I could get one. I don't think I would use one forever, but I found one on the zambeziteen that has worked perfectly well for the more than one year that I've owned and driven the car.
TheCabinetmaker
If I was down, I would too. It sounded like Mark is gearing up to make them to sell. Maybe just the way i read it.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 6 2007, 07:22 AM) *

If I was down, I would too. It sounded like Mark is gearing up to make them to sell. Maybe just the way i read it.

I may sell them. At $2.00 each there is not a lot of motivation. When you need something like this, shipping costs or driving takes time and money. I have a small shop and I can make these faster and cheaper than I can buy them.
Tobra
that is why I bough spares. They are so cheap, why not get 4 instead of two when yo uorder them, toss the ones you remove from the car and have brand new ones to use, just in case.

DOn't forget the blue loctite
brer
If it doesn't fit right or is loose it is a short walk to having a worn out shift rod.

the vibration from the transmission will wear the tapered hole the set screw fits into.

BTDT
TravisNeff
The set screws have a hole in the side (where the threads are) where they press in a plastic dowel, it acts sort of like nylock. Only so many R&I before you need to replace them.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Apr 6 2007, 08:36 AM) *

The set screws have a hole in the side (where the threads are) where they press in a plastic dowel, it acts sort of like nylock. Only so many R&I before you need to replace them.

I have never seen that. I will look for it. That is simple enough and is a very good idea.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 6 2007, 07:30 AM) *

Hi Britt.

I plan on making them. I have a couple you can have. Let me know if you want them and how you want them shipped.

Why? Howya gonna do the plastic locking insert? The Cap'n
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 6 2007, 09:12 AM) *

Hi Britt.

I would drill a cross hole and press in a small nylon pin.. The loctite blue is still probably the best solution but the pin is still interesting. As to why..Who knows? For that matter, why am I repairing this old rusty car?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 6 2007, 10:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 6 2007, 09:12 AM) *

Hi Britt.

I would drill a cross hole and press in a small nylon pin.. The loctite blue is still probably the best solution but the pin is still interesting. As to why..Who knows? For that matter, why am I repairing this old rusty car?

I dunno about you, but MY time is certainly worth more to me than the couple of bucks you're gonna save, and the OE pins fit right, have the correct taper to assure a snug fit and to orient the rod correctly, and they don't fall out. And you don't NEED loctite! The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 6 2007, 10:16 AM) *

And you don't NEED loctite!

The Cap'n is right. they're self-locking when new. the only time i use loctite is when i don't have a new setscrew and i have to reuse the old one.

in a perfect world, they are a one-time use only item ...
bye1.gif Andy
Bartlett 914
Sure enough, there is a small plastic pin to lock the thread.
911quest
One thing I do on the rear coupler coming out of the body is put a hose clamp around the set screw to keep it from backing out.
sww914
I just smash the hell out of the whole assembly with a small hammer to peen it in. It'll never come out that way!
Brando
QUOTE(Tobra @ Apr 6 2007, 08:48 AM) *
that is why I bough spares. They are so cheap, why not get 4 instead of two when yo uorder them, toss the ones you remove from the car and have brand new ones to use, just in case.

DOn't forget the blue loctite

Loctite? Try anti-sieze... How many screws have you had to drill out because that cone screw's head has stripped out because the screw rusted in place? Drilling then having to repair the rod or the coupler.

chair.gif
bd1308
My screw is stripped out....

im goign to try a oversized allen wrench (5mm) then go to the easy outs.
911quest
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Apr 6 2007, 06:17 PM) *

My screw is stripped out....

im goign to try a oversized allen wrench (5mm) then go to the easy outs.

If that doesn't work buy a set of reverse drill bits they will catch the screw and usually spin it out
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(911quest @ Apr 6 2007, 12:51 PM) *

One thing I do on the rear coupler coming out of the body is put a hose clamp around the set screw to keep it from backing out.

A couple of passes of electrical tape work, too. The Cap'n
Tobra
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Apr 6 2007, 08:36 AM) *

They will still back out without blue loctite, ask me how I know wink.gif

They won't be as prone to rust if you put the boot back on to the firewall. When I did my shifter bushings, had no trouble getting cone screws out, and they clearly had loctite on them
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.