Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which 911 Front Suspension?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chuck
I just purchased my first 914, a 73 1.7 that will need the typical rustoration. The plan is to do a Subie swap, flares and a 5 lug conversion. My question is which 911 suspension should I be looking for the front and where is a good place to find one? I will likely purchase PMBs rear arms/5 lug setup for the rear with rebuilt rear calipers.

Thanks,
Chuck

p.s. As per my earlier post about the new car, pictures will be forthcoming. smile.gif
wbergtho
I believe a mid 80's to 88'or 89' 911 set up w/ aluminum calipers would work just fine for you. The best bolt in set up is the late model 78-88 930 turbo front suspension...but it generally costs more than it is worth. I have the 930 front suspension complete only because I stole it from someone in DTW for $400. You could buy almost any 74-89 911 front suspension and upgrade the rotors & calipers to big reds for about the same money as 930 bits...maybe less. This may be over doing it with a stock Subie motor...but then again...have you ever had a car with too much braking capabilities?
Eric_Shea
I believe a mid 80's to 88'or 89' 911 set up w/ aluminum calipers would work just fine for you.

Those will not come with AL Calipers. Just A-Calipers which are steel wink.gif

I agree, it's a nice strut. I don't think the turbo strut is the best choice (in my book).

From what you mentioned (flares, suby etc.) I'd recommend a 3.5" caliper spacing which would be an early S-strut, either Koni or Bilstien (Orange or green respectively) or the later SC strut with the steel A-Caliper.

Keep your 914 A-arms and get new ball joints.
Eric_Shea
FORGOT!!!

welcome.png
Chuck
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 6 2007, 08:48 PM) *

I believe a mid 80's to 88'or 89' 911 set up w/ aluminum calipers would work just fine for you.

Those will not come with AL Calipers. Just A-Calipers which are steel wink.gif

I agree, it's a nice strut. I don't think the turbo strut is the best choice (in my book).

From what you mentioned (flares, suby etc.) I'd recommend a 3.5" caliper spacing which would be an early S-strut, either Koni or Bilstien (Orange or green respectively) or the later SC strut with the steel A-Caliper.

Keep your 914 A-arms and get new ball joints.

Thanks. Eric, when the time comes, I will be using your rear trailing arms with the 5 lug conversion already done. I just wanted to know what I should be looking for on the front and where to start looking. It has been my experience that if you start looking well in advance of actually needing something, you can usually find a better deal. So, all of the bodywork will get done this summer, along with suspension if I can find it and swing the cash, then the actual motor swap will likely occur next spring/summer.

Planning on doing the turbo 2.0 suby rather than the NA 2.5.
blitZ
Sorry about the hijack...

What''s a typical going price for a 80's front suspension?
Chuck
QUOTE(blitZ @ Apr 7 2007, 05:05 AM) *

Sorry about the hijack...

What''s a typical going price for a 80's front suspension?

Blitz,

Not a hijack. I'd like to know as well. Would also like to know where people usually find them. I see LA Dismantlers on ebay running different fronts from $850-$1500 but haven't really seen anything else.
Eric_Shea
Just look for the struts. You can find them for $250 a pair if you're frugal.

Don't call the usual (dismantler) suspects. Call the race-shops that take apart a lot of cars. Many times they have them sitting in a pile out back not knowing what to do with them and not thinking that anyone would actually pay for them. wink.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(Chuck @ Apr 7 2007, 12:18 PM) *
I see LA Dismantlers on ebay running different fronts from $850-$1500 but haven't really seen anything else.

With patience and a little luck, you should be able to do much better. It seems the Porsche dismantlers ask for top dollar for bits and pieces.

Here's my $450 ebay purchase: 88 or 89 911 front end (struts, hubs, A-arms, aluminum crossmember, 3.5in A calipers, steering rack, swaybar, and horn) and poorly done 4-5 lug converted rear. The front end was worth the purchase price. With Eric's nice 5-lug hubs and bearings, I'm set. The seller was going through a divorce and was liquidating his stuff.

Spoke
Aaron Cox
i paid 150 for a boge front end off a 73 911, koni's and steering rack included smile.gif

but i had to drop it from the 911 myself smile.gif
lotus_65
But Dave-o was telling me to look for a pre-74 911 sway bar (or a stock 914 one). Design changes made the later ones not as good on our cars?
Eric_Shea
Correct, that's why I recommend struts only. Also, I wouldn't say not as good... just not preferred. The geometry could be better and there really aren't many custom sizes to choose from. I'm a big fan of through body bars.

That being said:

1. Many 914 A-arms do not come with the u-tab for the preferred through body (stock style) sway bar. You can weld them on. They are fairly inexpensive.

2. The later 911 a-arms can just as easily have the u-tabs welded on and their under body mounts cut off.

Not "that" big of a deal... wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.