Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fried: alt diodes or voltage reg?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Goge
OK, bonehead move here. Let's just say it involved alot of beer, and a battery that didn't originally come out of my 914 (reversed posts).

Anyway, I hooked it up backwards. There- I said it.

The alt light stays on, with no key in the ignition.

Did I fry the diodes in the alternator, or did I fry the voltage regulator? Any easy tests to see which is the most likely?

Thanks for the help...

-Todd
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

Goge: Your not alone i did the same thing. In just a min. or 2 ,fried the diodes, Alt. was junk, ruined the alt. wireing harness,fuse in line saved the radio. Figure checking every fuse,those inline to. New Alt. wireing harness,( i have a brand new one for sale ) . Voltage Reg. checked out O.K. ,but need replaceing in a yr, there cheap throw in a new one to be on the safe side. Get busy and all will be right soon. BUT you will never do that again, right . Dave slap.gif
Goge
Thanks for the reply Dave! It's good to know I'm not alone in making that mistake. Hated to admit I even did it.

My car will start, so the damage can't be too bad at least. I guess I'll have to dive into the enviable task of replacing the alternator. Hopefully I won't find anything else wrong!

I have a spare alt, so I'm going to take it somewhere to have it checked before installing.

Thanks again,
-Todd
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.