well are they?

-jim
Aaron Cox
do you have a delay timing light? then all you need is TDC smile.gif

bd1308
i love delay
shaggy
so is that a yes or a no?

i dont own a timing light i borrow one and i have no clue what it is.
alpha434
I think the better question is "how many different friggin fans are there?"

I've held three different ones in my hands for the 914. That doesn't mean that there aren't more. It all depends on the bolt pattern on the crank, and it's position in relation to TDC. If you have a non-stock crank. Or a difference between a 1.7 and 2.0 crank, it's likely that they are different. And who knows? There could've been a new guy in the crank department at the VW factory that day, and he screwed up the angle of the fixture on the turret lathe, that day. Changing a fan to pass some cranks is much cheaper than scrapping a crank because it doesn't match a fan. End story- don't even bother with the timing marks on a fan. Unless it's the same fan that came with your engine (factory inspection certified.) Use delay timing.
Dave_Darling
And how exactly is delay timing supposed to help if the fan is not in the same orientation, so the TDC mark is all wrong? Honestly, Alphie, you should put a little more thought into things....

Stock 1.7 and 2.0 timing is the same. The stock timing marks are the same. There may be "extra" marks on some. The 1.8's timing was set differently, so it will have a different mark. Ditto the Bus engines; the timing was different so the mark will be different.

Pelican has a Tech Article that tells you where the marks go.

The stock fans and cranks have the same bolt holes and "in theory" are indexed the same. In reality, some of the fan castings are a little "off" in relation to others. You can see an example of that in Pelican's 914 timing tech article. Happily, it's still close...

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.