Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I buy a Part Washer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigkensteele
Since they are not very expensive, it seems that it would be very useful to have a parts washer in my garage, but I have a lot of questions that google has not been able to answer. I have searched on the board, and wasn't able to get the info either. Would be great if you guys in the know could weigh in.

- Where do you buy a drum of solvent and how much is it?
- How long does it last?
- How do you know when it is time to replace?
- When you replace, do you have to call the EPA and have guys in HAZMAT suits come by, or is it a simple chore?
- Are there different solvents, and if so, which is better for the hobbyist?
- Will my garage and everything in it smell like industrial solvent?
- Do the Harbor Freight models stack up to the ridiculously expensive brands such as Snap On?

Answers to any or all are appreciated.

Ken
bd1308
the local VW place uses Diesel Fuel...the guy swaps out fluid every 5 years....the sediment goes to the bottom and isnt very rough on the hands

and who doesnt love the smell of diesel fuel?
krazykonrad
I don't know any details, but I sure wish I had one!
Konrad
John
You can buy solvent at any Grainger Industrial Supply (it comes in 5 gal pails)

The solvent (that I use) lasts for a long time (until it evaporates)

I replace when the pump can no longer pump (it has evaporated below the pump inlet)

I installed a filter right after my pump (before it comes out of the brush). It recirculates continuously and lasts for a long time. I do not replace. I just add.

There are a slew of solvents from water based environmentally friendly to really bad shit. You may want to stay with an environmentally safe solvent.

How large is your shop? I have a 36'X 60' shop and it does not reek like a parts washer any more than any other chemical. Used gear lube is a worse smell.

Mine is a 35 gal? drum type (made in USA) and was a cheap one. It was a present from my wife 10 years or so, and has held up well. I would opt for a steel unit (I think they hold up better to heavy use) I don't know of real differences between the name brand and off brand units. As I said before, my pump has lasted a long time so far.
sww914
I have one similar to what John described. Sometimes I wish I didn't have it because I don't use it enough to warrant the waste of space.
I'd say if you've been building at least one engine or tranny a year, it might be worth it. If not, just use a bucket with a gallon of diesel in the bottom and dump the diesel in a creek full of endangered wildlife when you're done with it.
bd1308
nice!
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(sww914 @ Apr 6 2007, 10:13 PM) *

I have one similar to what John described. Sometimes I wish I didn't have it because I don't use it enough to warrant the waste of space.
I'd say if you've been building at least one engine or tranny a year, it might be worth it. If not, just use a bucket with a gallon of diesel in the bottom and dump the diesel in a creek full of endangered wildlife when you're done with it.

No no no! You use the used diesel slop to marinade your VW engine case so it will light more easily. Geez, newbies! slap.gif

laugh.gif
Brian_Boss
IMHO, it's like an air compressor, once you have one, you wonder how you lived without it.

If you are concerned about cost or space, you can always get one of the 3 gallon bench top units.

Now that Varsol is hard to find, I just use mineral spirits in mine.

In my area, you can drop off the used solvent at the city hazardous material facility (no charge). If you make a reasonable effort not to put too much really nasty stuff in without scraping the worst of it off first, the solvent lasts until it evaporates.

The submerged pump in the cheapo units is the week link.
watsonrx13
Ken, can you post a link to some of the washers you're looking at?

-- Rob
Eric_Shea
I never liked or used mine... threw it out.
burton73
I just went through this. Decided to buy a 30-gallon unit from Harbor freight. They did not have it at the stores so they had to freight it out. The delivered price with tax was like $250. Harbor freight had some different units that where bench top for less. I was used to the 30-gallon drum type. $164. Plus shipping+ tax, they have different units that cost less and may be less to ship because they do not use the big drum. http://search.harborfreight.com/

The Safety Solvent that is the same as safety-Kleen is available fro McMaster Carr this is the good stuff I got a 5 gallon can. The shop next door that is doing my Paint work and helping with restoration puts old solvents in with old gas and oil for pick up with there oil pick up people. That is where my full tank of 16-year-old gas went. My thinking was I could sell it and my fancy glass beading cabinet when my car is done if I want to space back.

Bob
terrymason
I've got a 3 gallon (tiny) parts washer that I use every other year. It's OK, but not incredibly useful. Be careful where you keep it, as whatever you use in it can really stink (30 gallons of diesel in your garage). I did find this at the local northern tool:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...970_33400_33400

It actually smells good, and works well. I made the mistake of spilling some on my front drive way, and it ate the finish off my concrete.
GeorgeRud
I've had a Harbor Freight parts washer for many years now, and wouldn't be without it. I use the old fashioned shop solvent (Stoddard solvent?) and it lasts a long time. If you don't have one, you're always wiping off greasy parts, if you have one, they come out really nice and clean. Kind of like a sandblasting cabinet, you don't miss it till you've had one, but once you do, you don't want to be without it. Just be sure to get a large enough one, not just a small benchtop unit.
RockinOldSchool
I wouldn't worry about weather it's metal or plastic. I'm a mechanic at a local shop. We have two parts washers, both plastic, and haven't had any problems with either. One we've had for two years, the other for about six. Keep in mind that these are being used in a 12 bay shop that's open 86 hours per week. And we're continually using them.

And we use Ozzy Juice for our fluid. A bit on the pricey side, but good stuff and lasts forever.

914werke
I tried solvent in mine for a while and when it came time to replace it was
PIA mad.gif so I switched to the HD Water sol. detergents. Works just a good
and you dont get high. Cheaper & when its time to dispose of you dont have to worry (as much) about killing the wildlife.
Bartlett 914
I bought a cheap one from Enco. You will see similar ones from Harbor Freight. Total junk. It came with 10 galons of solvent. It was the worst solvent ever. Didn't clean well and in 2 minutes gave me a terrible headache. I now have a real tank from Safety Clean. The solvent works O.K. I wish it was a little more powerful but it works. It is also recycled annually.
woobn8r
I had a Safe T claen unit...used it a few times but it was more trouble than it was worth...

I gave it to my nephew who is constantly rebuilding dirt bikes...

I plan to replace it with a media blast cabinet.
orcadigital
One thing you will want to be careful with... The cheaper parts washers use plastic gearing in the recirculation pump, and the more aggressive mineral based solvents will dissolve those plastics. Its also something to keep in mind if you are cleaning parts that are plastic.

The water-based solvents usually dont smell as bad, usually dont clean as well, and are usually 4-5x the price, even after being diluted with water (usually you buy it concentrated). The water based stuff also isnt flammable, wheras many of the mineral based ones are. If you are stepping into one and not using water based fluids, you may want to get one with an auto-close top, that will close if a fire starts.

All that being said, i have a blast cabinet and a parts washer, and love them both. It is a cheaper parts washer (200ish) and i use the water based solvent. I usually knock of the major stuff first, soak/clean in the parts washer, hose off the solvent (with water), then use the blow gun from the air compressor to blow the water off. That removes almost anything that resembles grease/dirt. Then into the blast cabinet or using wire brushes to remove any rust or big stuff that shouldnt be on. Then refinish as you choose (powder coat, etc).
bigkensteele
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Apr 7 2007, 04:55 AM) *

Ken, can you post a link to some of the washers you're looking at?

-- Rob

Rob, not looking at anything specific yet. I have casually glanced at the selection at Harbor Freight and wanted to get some feedback before narrowing my selection criteria. I have a spare transaxle and 2.0 that I want to learn to rebuild myself, and the thought of me out there with a 5 gallon bucket and toothbrush was not appealing, not to mention the fact that my neighbors think that we live in 90210 and would probably call the EPA if they saw me out in the driveway scrubbing an autopart and rinsing it off into the storm sewer.

Lot of great feedback here, which I greatly appreciate.

From what I am hearing, the washer itself should be sized according to my need, have a quality pump, but it is the solvent that is the real variable. My friend's brother happens to be a sales rep for ZEP. I will hit him up. He may even give me a drum for free. I am leaning toward the eco-friendly stuff due to the fact that it won't catch my house of fire.

I also have a blast cabinet that I bought on ebay several years ago. I think that I probably got screwed, but it was only $99 and is all steal. It is not as large as I think that I would like, but I believe that I can make it work with some modifications.

To answer another question, space is somewhat of an issue. I have a standard (not deep) 3 car garage, I think 20+ deep by about 30 long. The wife and kid's crap taking up one full bay. The 911, 914 and all other parts take up the other two. I will be getting creative with space management in the near future, however a blast cab and a parts washer are pretty stationary devices.

Thanks to all,
Ken
andys
I've got both a 3 gallon and a 25 gallon parts washer. I frankly rarely use either of them.

I use Shell parts solvent normally sold to professionals. Not nearly as good as the old stuff that was available some years ago. The new "friendly" solvents are nearly useless, IMO. Perhaps I've been spoiled by what *used to be* available. Detergent and hot water are arguably better unless you're doing gearbox internals; again IMHO.

Andys
bigkensteele
QUOTE(andys @ Apr 8 2007, 06:14 PM) *

I've got both a 3 gallon and a 25 gallon parts washer. I frankly rarely use either of them.

I use Shell parts solvent normally sold to professionals. Not nearly as good as the old stuff that was available some years ago. The new "friendly" solvents are nearly useless, IMO. Perhaps I've been spoiled by what *used to be* available. Detergent and hot water are arguably better unless you're doing gearbox internals; again IMHO.

Andys

Andy,
What type of detergent do you use. Dish, clothes, what brand?

I took my transaxle up to the local car wash bay and spend a few dollars with less than the expected results. I assume that this is the eco-friendly stuff they use, so am I farting in the wind by looking at this stuff.

I know in the old days, you could probably just put a part in there, and whatever chemical it was would just eat away anything that wasn't metal. I am fine with a little scrubbing, so please tell me how the way you clean parts is easier than using a washer.

Thanks,
Ken
andys
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 8 2007, 08:20 PM) *

Andy,
What type of detergent do you use. Dish, clothes, what brand?

I took my transaxle up to the local car wash bay and spend a few dollars with less than the expected results. I assume that this is the eco-friendly stuff they use, so am I farting in the wind by looking at this stuff.

I know in the old days, you could probably just put a part in there, and whatever chemical it was would just eat away anything that wasn't metal. I am fine with a little scrubbing, so please tell me how the way you clean parts is easier than using a washer.

Thanks,
Ken

If you go to the self car wash, first spray greasy stuff with one of the engine cleaner sprays available at you FLAPS and let it soak for a few. Home sized stuff I use Tide, because that's the brand my wife uses. The secret is hot water; the hotter the better. Once the big stuff is removed, 409, a scrub brush, and again hot water. 409 works well on aluminum, better I believe than does Simple Green.

Perhaps someone else has a better method.............?

Andys
NoEcm
Perhaps someone else has a better method.............?Andys

Not a better method but a lot less work for smaller parts.

From an earlier posting:

Just a suggestion (not as good as a hot tank but it works):

1. Look for a "Free" or cheap ($10 - $20) 24" portable dishwasher in your local Craig's list postings.

2. Go to Sam's Club or Costco and buy some of that $5.00 per gallon concentrated degreaser (water based). It's usually in the section with the commercial cleaning supplies.

3. Connect a high quality garden hose from your hot water tank directly to your portable dishwasher (use the drain valve at the bottom of your hot water tank).

4. Run the dishwasher drain hose into a large bucket (I use an old garbage can). When the dishwasher is done I'll pour the contents of the garbage can into a couple of 5 gallon buckets and let the water evaporate. The left over sludge is collected into a container and taken to a hazardous waste place. Most communities or neighborhoods will have a hazardous waste mobile trailer there once or twice a year.

5. Put your parts to be cleaned into the dishwasher and add 3 or 4 cups of the degreaser to the dishwasher.

6. Start your dishwasher and go have a cold one while your parts clean. (sometimes you'll have the wash the parts twice if they are really bad)

7. When done, wheel the dishwasher back into the garage.

It's a cheap and easy solution for cleaning parts

Good luck!!!
alpha434
Parts washer??? 5 bucks and he's yours...

IPB Image

cool_shades.gif I'm joking. The sale of mexicans is definately not legal here in Colorado. Additionally, if it is legal somewhere else, please pm me.
sheeplove.gif
Luke
I love my old 50 gal washer .. of course I have a lot of projects of varying sizes ...

I run paint thinner in mine for solvent .. about half the cost of the official stuff ...

It's wide and deep enough to put a full transaxle in or any other parts without getting grease and oil all over the walls and floor..
half the the time the top becomes a overflow work table ...

I hate working on greasy dirty parts .. or trying to clean them in a little tiny tray on the floor .. then what to do with the used cleaner .. no thanks ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.