Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How Do I Remove Tach Needle?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Spoke
This is not a "How to" but instead a "How do I" remove a tach needle. I want to swap tach face plates to get the individual R and L turn signal indicators. The needle on the car is the black center type and my extra tach is the chrome center type.

I tried to pull off the tach needle but it wouldn't budge. Before I break something just thought I'd ask how to remove the tach needle.

Also remember a thread to add capacitors to stabilize the needle during operation. If there's a thread on this, please point me to it.

Thanks,
Spoke
Spoke
OK, found the Pelican article on how to remove the needle. Needle is off. Still looking for the modification for stabilizing the needle in use. I think someone added some capacitators.

Spoke
markb
I don't think the later cars are wired for 2 signals on the tach. How are you going to make that work?
Spoke
QUOTE(markb @ Apr 7 2007, 10:39 AM) *

I don't think the later cars are wired for 2 signals on the tach. How are you going to make that work?

The turn signal indicator light and parking brake indicator are on the same relay. I'll just disconnect the turn signal indicator light.

Since the front and rear turn signal lamps are connected in parallel, I'll just connect the new R & L turn signal dash lamps in parallel with them. This way when a turn signal is on, the proper indicator lamp will flash.

The early cars had some strange arrangement with the L & R indicator lamps such that each lamp has one connection to the front and rear turn signal lamps, and the other side of the lamps were connected together and connected to the flash unit. The flash unit was supposed to pull the common connection of the indicators to ground when the turn signal was on.

On my 71, this common connection in the flasher was not working when I purchased it and both lamps would flash at 1/2 brightness when either turn signal was on. After coming to the conclusion that the flash unit was faulty, I simply disconnected the common connection from the flash unit and attached it to ground.

I'm not sure what function I disabled with the move of the common connection but things seem to work ok and nothing fried.

Spoke
marks914
I would just swap needles to make things easier on yourself.
Here is an early tach:
IPB Image

Here is a late tach
IPB Image

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.