Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing Front Swaybar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhcb914
So I have drilled the holes and cut the slot but I don't see any reference to welding in the brackets in the pelican tech article. Should I weld them in or just tighten the bolts and not worry?

-Rob
davep
The brackets have to be welded to the body. There are a lot of references to this in previous threads. A poor job will result in the brackets being torn out of the body.
So.Cal.914
It's a good idea, that way if you need to change parts you do not have to pull the

tank to do it. My .02
rhcb914
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 7 2007, 12:37 PM) *

The brackets have to be welded to the body. There are a lot of references to this in previous threads. A poor job will result in the brackets being torn out of the body.

I have seen that some folks have welded them in but I wasn't sure if that was optional or not. I thought the brackets being torn out was a problem if you use the cheap U-bolts that doesn't require the removal of the gas tank. If that is a problem with the triangular brackets too looks like I'll weld them in.

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Apr 7 2007, 12:37 PM)

Good point. I probably won't take it out but if I have to for some reason that would be a real pain to remove the tank again.

Thanks!
Dave_Darling
Welding the brackets in is optional. Without the welding, they still result in a stronger structure than the U-bolt setup. But welding them in will make everything stronger, and will allow you to change bushings or remove the bar without going back in and pulling the tank.

So, "optional, but recommended".

--DD
hwgunner
I actually spoke to some one who makes these nut plates and he did not recomend welding them in unless you know what you are doing. His concern was that a poor welding job would result in very thin sheetmetal at the edges which would be weaker than just bolting them in. Makes sense to me.

orange914
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Apr 7 2007, 09:52 PM) *

I actually spoke to some one who makes these nut plates and he did not recomend welding them in unless you know what you are doing. His concern was that a poor welding job would result in very thin sheetmetal at the edges which would be weaker than just bolting them in. Makes sense to me.

eek! i have the tank out to do fuel lines/f.p. relocate AND was planing to install stock bar. i hadnt heard of the need to weld before. was the factory installed welded? i agree w/ dave darling if not welded by experianced welder it could compramise the sheet metal anyway. maybe spot welding the bolt heads to the inner plate would be a good idea as you could r&r bushings from inner fenders later driving.gif .
So.Cal.914
I am sure you can find someone competent to weld it for you, or get a mobil

welder to come out and do it. welder.gif
r_towle
I have the brackets bolted in, no welding.
They have lasted 6 years of regular autox abuse.
I got the big bar, 22mm and its fine.

Use locktite, and tighten everything up at least once per year.

Rich
Dave_Darling
"Nutting-and-bolting" the mounting plates annually is probably one of the things that has kept yours in good shape. Even if you don't, the plates do seem to hold up pretty well without welding. Welding them in, however, adds more strength (when done correctly).

The stock setup simply has three nuts welded to the inside of the fender, and the retaining bolts thread into those.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.