Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metal lines that exit fuel tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
The metal exit line on my gas tank has some pitting from rust. It coud also use a new filter/sock/screen or whatever it's called. The return line isn't that bad, but if possible I'd just like to replace the both of them including the caps that fasten the lines to the tank. Are these parts still available new somewhere?

Also, where's a good place to have a fuel tank flushed out?

Thanks! beerchug.gif
swl
The sock is available at all the usual suspects but I don't think I've seen the hard lines. There was someone, possibly a member, that was selling the hardlines with AN fittings on them so they must be available. I'd check Pelican Parts or Auto Atlanta.

The POR folks sell a kit to clean and seal your tank if you are so inclined. http://www.por15.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1467/.f?...mp;category=180 There is an instruction sheet at the bottom. They claim that there stuff is 'enviromentally friendly'
914werke
sad.gif Dont do that. Take it to Performance Radiator -
2121 Pacific Ave, Everett, WA (425) 252-4323

They will boil it out for you.
Cap'n Krusty
As is often the case, if these parts are available, the dealer will be your best shot. After all, that's where the aftermarket parts guys get them. The Cap'n

I have some, BTW. Not new, but in real nice condition.
swl
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 7 2007, 10:24 PM) *

sad.gif Dont do that. Take it to Performance Radiator -

That's interesting Rich. Is your concern about the effectiveness, cost, or environmental impact? Perhaps a bit of each?
rjames
Take it to Performance Radiator -

Thanks Rich & Steve-
I should have been more specific- after cleaning the tank I would like to rust proof the inside as well as it looks like there is a bit of surface rust in there. Not much, but that will only get worse. I'll check the place out in Everett (or another radiator shop here in Shoreline) and I'll take a look at the product made by the makers of POR15.

I have some, BTW. Not new, but in real nice condition.

PM sent, Cap'n.
rjames
yikes. I just read what is involved with the sealing the inside of the tank:

http://www.por15.com/Data%20Sheets/fuel%20...ealer%20pdf.pdf

Doesn't look like something I want to tackle without a proper disposal area.

Any chance that brown stuff inside the tank isn't rust? dry.gif

Maybe the way to do this to have the radiator place boil out the tank, and then I won't need to do all that rinsing myself and can then just pour the tank sealer in (after the metal ready stuff, which I already have a container of). I guess the car won't be back on the road by next weekend....
Gint
What if the sealer chips or flakes off? I wouldn't use the POR or any other treatment kits. Boil the tank and use the gas and you won't ever need any of those sealers. BTDT, works great just as the original.
rjames
[/quote]What if the sealer chips or flakes off? I wouldn't use the POR or any other treatment kits. Boil the tank and use the gas and you won't ever need any of those sealers. BTDT, works great just as the original.[quote]

I've thought about that too (the sealant flaking off), but what about any rust that is in the tank currently? Boiling the tank is just for cleaning it, (or prepping it to be treated with a sealer) no? Won't any rust that's currenty in there stay in there an get progressively worse? Eventually rusting the tank from the inside out?
914werke
No. itll remove the rust as well. Used them twice now. relitivly inexpensive.
Done right. thumb3d.gif
rjames
Boiling removes rust? Boiling water? How does that work?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.