Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing late style bumpers - to 2 do it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
I have a 76 parts car with NICE bumpers. How do you remove them? I tried doing a search on the site here, but I must be doing it wrong because the search results showed every thread on the site. huh.gif

Thanks.
914nerd
Pull the 2 vertical bolts per bumper that connect them to the shock assemblies
Then, pull them straight off (taking care not to tear the rubber covering)
After the bumpers are off, pull the 3 bolts per shock assy (2 assys per bumper) and remove them as well
That's all there is to it
The attachment points for the schock assys are in the front trunk and underneath the rear trunk
If you want more infor or pics or such, I can probably provide something
skline
Make sure you peel off the sides where it is hooked by the front turn signals. Do that first and then pull them off so as not to tear the rubber. The bolt holes can be seen when you lay on the ground looking up at the bottom of the bumper.
roundboy914
By taking the '76 bumpers off, and replacing them with fiberglass early style bumpers, how many pounds will be lost?
blitZ
I replaced my 76 wubba bumpers with early steel ones, must have shaved off 100 lbs or so. You can really feel it, since the weight was removed from the extreme ends.
roundboy914
cool, that was what i was hoping to hear.
914nerd
I did exactly that recently and I would say that with the early f/g ones, it probably shaved closer to 150 in total (with all of the extras too)
boxstr
Actually I weighed a front and rear late model bumper with mounting components a year ago.
Front bumper=43.2 lbs.
Rear bumper=44 lbs.
Mounting parts=9.2 lbs.
Total= 95 lbs.
CCLIN914NATION
914nerd
Good information to know
I never got around to weighing mine
100 lbs in a 2000 lb car is significant
VaccaRabite
So... What is the weight of the early bumbers? The stock ones, not the uber lightweight fiberglass ones. Would be good to know the weight savings.

Zach
black73
I recently had an early front bumper sent to me and it weighed 17.1 lbs., including packaging, so I would guess about 15 for the bumper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.