Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rusty Original 2.0 Muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
I'm pulling my original 2.0 muffler off and am OK with keeping it. It seems solid but completely surface rusted.

Any chance of restoration? I would ideally want to paint it gloss black to match all the powder coating in the future.

Ideas, tips, appreciated.
skline
I would have it blasted and then ceramic coated, it looks way cool and should last forever. But, that's just me. smile.gif
DanT
QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Apr 8 2007, 08:48 PM) *

I'm pulling my original 2.0 muffler off and am OK with keeping it. It seems solid but completely surface rusted.

Any chance of restoration? I would ideally want to paint it gloss black to match all the powder coating in the future.

Ideas, tips, appreciated.

Bead blasted and ceramic coating or at least a very good High temp paint.

Media blasting really does wonders and removes surface rust with out damaging the orginal metal...
EdwardBlume
Where's a place in the Bay Area I can get it done, and how much is it going to run?
pbanders
FWIW, most of the OEM mufflers like yours that have been on the car for 30+ years have bad/loose baffles and are far noisier than they should be, regardless of how good they look externally. Mine looked a lot better than yours and was still bad internally. Rather than spend additional money on it, you may want to consider replacing it with a new OEM equivalent Dansk. I just had one installed and the difference is obvious - great sounding without being too noisy under acceleration, and very quiet when cruising at constant speeds.
Aaron Cox
how about no baffles smile.gif

IPB Image
im sanding/sandblasting and using POR 20 grey high temp.
EdwardBlume
Baffles? Is the old muffler likely junk?

Send my regards to the great state of California, but the noiser the better.

I just want it to look good.

Dansk is about $380 in grey. How much to ceramic coat it or chrome it?
EdwardBlume
how about no baffles

im sanding/sandblasting and using POR 20 grey high temp.

Looks very good.

Did you just weld the tips on? Can you chrome them? What about a valance?
DanT
Rob, since you are running heat exchangers do you want the muffler to remain stockish?
I know someone that will bead blast it for you. you could also have it opened up and debaffled if you want...he also knows how to do a twin pipe configuration on the original 2.0L muffler.

smile.gif
EdwardBlume
Rob, since you are running heat exchangers do you want the muffler to remain stockish?
I know someone that will bead blast it for you. you could also have it opened up and debaffled if you want...he also knows how to do a twin pipe configuration on the original 2.0L muffler.

You nailed it. Stockish, good looking, doesn't need to do much more than hang there. I refuse to build it to be a CW, but its a tribute to my Dad so it will be caressed and cared for. By all means, I need references. How loud does a stock muffler get with the baffles removed and two or three pipes?
DanT
if it were me I would have it bead blasted and run it just like it is. If the sound isn't a biggy the twin pipe sounds a lot like an old 356 when they ran twin pipe mufflers.

You need to contact Mark (owner) at Sportech....408-377-8055

tell him that Dan Thompson referred you.

he can take a look at it and tell you if it is worth working with. Looks pretty good from the pic you posted other than the surface rust. Let him know what you want to do with it and he can take care of it... He has a bead (media) blaster in his shop. He did all of my engine tin etc before it was painted.
He can also let you know the best paint to use to make it look nice after bead blasting.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.