Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tow Bar / Hitch Height ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
Here is a pic of my tow bar setup on my Yukon with a 4" drop mount. I want to make sure the range of motion is acceptable and it won't bind up. (ie: Yukon goes over speed bump, 914 is till at ground level). Notice in a free hanging state the range of motion holds the bar 1" off the ground. Should I get a 6" drop mount?

Thanks

Also, do I need to grease the ball or anything?

BTW - the tow bar method worked really well. I towed it to an autocross yesterday, absolutely a piece of cake! Really glad I didn't drive it given that I have no windows or heat and it was 32F out.

Ferg
I'm no expert, but yes, you need a bigger drop!

Gint has a HUGE drop 8-10??? behind his Titan.

Ferg
Aaron Cox
i used a 4" drop on my nissan frontier..... gonna go with a 6"

trying to get the tow bar as low as possible, as when i hit the brakes hard (panic stop) the car pushed the rear of the truck up.... limiting braking ability, and making it a bit squirley.
Gint
QUOTE(Ferg @ Apr 9 2007, 09:54 AM) *

Ferg
Mine is 11" and it still is long enough. wink.gif

That might be OK. Hook it up to the tow bar bracket on the car and see how close to level you are. You might want more drop. Having your tow bar level is ideal. Doesn't strictly have to be level, but that's where you'd like to be.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 9 2007, 11:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ Apr 9 2007, 09:54 AM) *

Ferg

That might be OK. Hook it up to the tow bar bracket on the car and see how close to level you are. You might want more drop. Having your tow bar level is ideal. Doesn't strictly have to be level, but that's where you'd like to be.

agree.gif phrase better than i put it.

with the tow bar level, all the force is put laterally into the tow vehicle, when it angles upward, it tends to lift the back end of the tow vehicle a bit.... more pronounced feeling on a pick up truck with little weight over the rear axle.

here is mine.
IPB Image
DanT
Wow, you definitely need a bigger drop...like at least an 8"er....
You have an aftermarket bumper and hitch set up. The stock bumper and the hitch sit lower on my Suburban...
this was taken when I had my 2" drop... I now have a 4" drop and could probably go to a 6" to get the neck of the bar totally level....
Again close to level is best but not absolute. the folks using this set up with the drawtite type tow bar will never get it level because the bar does not have the goose neck arrangement.
with 6" you should be fine...it is really about not lifting the rear of the tow vehicle during braking.
With the Yukon, or in my case the Burb, you have a lot more weight over the rear of the tow vehicle than on a PU truck.
Gint
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 9 2007, 12:13 PM) *
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 9 2007, 11:59 AM) *

agree.gif phrase better than i put it.

with the tow bar level, all the force is put laterally into the tow vehicle, when it angles upward, it tends to lift the back end of the tow vehicle a bit.... more pronounced feeling on a pick up truck with little weight over the rear axle.

here is mine.
IPB Image

Partly true... On a fixed tongue vehicle, yes. On a hitch bar that pivots at the vehicle being towed, it doesn't shift the weight.

It's still as issue with this type of bar though because the flapper in the tow bar's hitch that comes in contact with the lower part of the ball will dig into the ball's shaft if the angle is too great. It also is a little unsafe. If it's level it won't have that problem. A little off level is OK though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.