Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In-car 914 AutoX Video 4/8/07
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
I shot some in car video yesterday at a local autocross, threw in some pics and uploaded the final cut... here is the link. For a lower res on myspace click here.

The video includes 3 runs: First and slowest, middle and sloppiest, last and fastest.

For some reason the engine wasn't running right, almost sounded lean during the first run at top end. Afterwards it smoothed out. I upgraded the firmware to Megasquirt 2.6x and restored my settings but something may have changed.

This was the first event that I towed my 914 to with the rennenmetal tow adapter, empi tow bar and 4" drop hitch.

Weather sucked, high temp of 42F, low of 32F in the morning. Light snow scattered throughout the day. I tested out my ebay Hoosier A6s, even though it was cold they still felt much stickier than the old ass BFG R1s I ran last year.

For purposes of comparison, my brother autocrossed his '89 944 Turbo (~290rwhp, aggressive suspension, street tires). He's a faster driver, normally by about 1/2 to 1sec on an autox course. His best time was a 53, my best was a 48.2. FTD was in the mid 45s. I'm still learning the car and getting used to real R compounds, but this car has potential!

Check it out!
DanT
linky confused24.gif

got it now 6:24pm PST
jimkelly
just watched the myspace link -worked fine - nice driving - jim

yarin
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Apr 9 2007, 07:22 PM) *

linky confused24.gif

I embedded the links.. look up..

http://stage6.divx.com/user/yarink/video/1...NE-AutoX-4-8-07

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...eoid=2021055990

For you Adobe Premiere people, what format do you export the video in? I can't seem to find a comprismise between quality and size.
Allan
Nice video.

Why does it sound like you have a bunch of conduit rolling around in the trunk?

BTW, nice run...
yarin
QUOTE(Headrage @ Apr 9 2007, 10:37 PM) *

Nice video.

Why does it sound like you have a bunch of conduit rolling around in the trunk?

BTW, nice run...

They invented the expression "rattles like a tin car" after listening to my car idle.. trunk is empty, engine compartment is solid.

The biggest contributor are the damn door handle rods... they rattle like all hell, especially where it connects to the door handle mount. The passenger side harness might have been rattling around as well. The Lexan rear window I just put it in a little tight, so it creaks against the top. The remainder of the rattle might be the tires picking up rocks.
ConeDodger
Either the track is full of "shittage" or those A6 tires are sticky sticky!!! Why does it sound like you are going in to third gear going into the first gate? Is the track much bigger than it appears? Nice video. Always love to see the in-car stuff...
Joe Ricard
I hate little bitty slow courses.
There is a bunch of more potential for your car. A6's are cool huh?

Your car sounds like mine. Must be the white dots make the car louder.

Why did you remove your top?

I'm thinking I would have stayed in 2nd for most of the course or spend allot of time 2-3-2 shifting.

yarin
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 9 2007, 11:41 PM) *

I hate little bitty slow courses.
There is a bunch of more potential for your car. A6's are cool huh?

Your car sounds like mine. Must be the white dots make the car louder.

Why did you remove your top?

I'm thinking I would have stayed in 2nd for most of the course or spend allot of time 2-3-2 shifting.

It was cold as hell, but the A6s did OK. White dots do make our cars louder! I want to ditch the loud ass flowmaster muffler and slap on something a bit quieter. I usually run without the top... why run with it? Get some sunlight in there(or in my case snow flurries), also makes it easier getting in and out of the car.

The course was pretty boring, not very technical at all. MetroNY PCA runs some of the tighest most challenging courses I've been on. Tons of fun!

The torque really drops off after 5krpm, 3rd gear worked out OK. The top end stumbling kept me in 3rd gear even after it dissapeared.

The lot is fairly crappy, so a lot of the noise was from the tires picking up stones.

The 3rd gear thing getting to the first gate was probably tire spin. For the first time ever I spun the tires in first gear. Matter of fact it was difficult not to spin the tires when launching first few runs in the morning. NO TRACTION! driving.gif Temp was about 35F, hehe. I'm jelous of all you cali and AZ guys that get to autox year round.
ConeDodger
I find myself "thinking" about third gear here on the California courses... But seldom go there. I was under the impression that your engine was stockish 2.0 with MS? I would leave the top on if you can. Contributes to chassis stiffness. That is what I think Joe is getting at.
DanT
at our Alameda and Candlestick AXs I get third gear quite often...tired 2.0L with stock gears.

Many times I am in and out of 3 gear at least 2-3 times.

many of our courses last year were right around 60seconds +/-.

just for the record....I never remove my top... biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Apr 9 2007, 09:33 PM) *

at our Alameda and Candlestick AXs I get third gear quite often...tired 2.0L with stock gears.

Many times I am in and out of 3 gear at least 2-3 times.

many of our courses last year were right around 60seconds +/-.

just for the record....I never remove my top... biggrin.gif

Dan is right, Alameda which is off limits this year? and the 'Stick are both 3rd gear courses. It is tough to tell scale from the video but you didn't sound too wound out so I wondered about the shift...

Dan, DO NOT let me go through the season without making it down there for a GGR event or two... my next event will be the two day Zone Weekend at Santa Rosa. The six is on the trailer and ready to go. The engine is still in short block stage for the four cylinder car. I think we have sorted out the deck height problems and should be together in a week or two. Then, getting it set up in the car will be the chore.
yarin
Regarding the top off, I've got a roll cage so I really doubt the top does anything at all. biggrin.gif Do you guys think it does?

Yes i'm running a relateively stock motor with Megasquirt. In the future i'll wind it up some more, for now i'm still growing some nuts, hehe. Last year I was bumping off the rev limiter, but there is really no power up there.
yarin
A little eye candy...

yarin
a 1/2 ass shot..

ConeDodger
The GT cars had cages and they bolted in the tops. Yes the top still adds stiffness. Nice car by the way... I agree, there is no power to be had up near redline in the stock 2.0. The problem is that there is much to be lost in shifting... The 901 is notoriously bad shifting. Although if you have replaced all of the shift bushings and especially if you have gone to the Rennshifter, you probably don't have too much trouble. It also never hurts to have the skill to shift to third when you need to. Love the Panosports by the way... I had them on my 240Z at one time.
race914
QUOTE(yarin @ Apr 10 2007, 04:56 AM) *

A little eye candy...
IPB Image

Your camera "Stabilization System" looks just like mine beerchug.gif

johannes
QUOTE(yarin @ Apr 9 2007, 06:14 PM) *

linky confused24.gif

For you Adobe Premiere people, what format do you export the video in? I can't seem to find a comprismise between quality and size.

PC or MAC ? ... Depends on version of premiere you own.
I found out the best results between quality and size using the microsoft media encoder.
Quicktime does also excellent job but you have to pay for the pro version
I think recent versions of premiere can manage it directelly.
I own a very old 6.5 version of premier, so I do it in two steps.
I export as DV avi . This gives you the same quality as the original file and it is fast.
Then I use windows media encoder to encode for the web. There are a lot of presets. This tool is free. You can download it here.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...er/default.mspx
yarin
QUOTE(johannes @ Apr 10 2007, 04:10 PM) *

QUOTE(yarin @ Apr 9 2007, 06:14 PM) *

linky confused24.gif

PC or MAC ? ... Depends on version of premiere you own.
I found out the best results between quality and size using the microsoft media encoder.
Quicktime does also excellent job but you have to pay for the pro version
I think recent versions of premiere can manage it directelly.
I own a very old 6.5 version of premier, so I do it in two steps.
I export as DV avi . This gives you the same quality as the original file and it is fast.
Then I use windows media encoder to encode for the web. There are a lot of presets. This tool is free. You can download it here.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...er/default.mspx

I have premiere 2.0 Pro for Windows. I'll try encoding my full DV file with windows media encoder. Thanks for the info!
turboman808
Dam the season started already.

I got to get over to some autoxs and start filming.

Been dating a girl in Texas so I am only in NY/NJ area every other weekend and when I am here half that time I am having a party going on. So filming so far has been kinda sucky. If there is something going on this weekend though I am definetly gonna be there to film it.

Oh and if your talking editing I am using Vegas myself. Kinda laid out like protools so I am use to it. Just did my first HD project last week. The regular DVD release is selling in hte super speeders booth at the NY autoshow right now. I'll be down this week with some models and the camera!!!
yarin
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 11 2007, 12:34 AM) *

Dam the season started already.

I got to get over to some autoxs and start filming.

Been dating a girl in Texas so I am only in NY/NJ area every other weekend and when I am here half that time I am having a party going on. So filming so far has been kinda sucky. If there is something going on this weekend though I am definetly gonna be there to film it.

Oh and if your talking editing I am using Vegas myself. Kinda laid out like protools so I am use to it. Just did my first HD project last week. The regular DVD release is selling in hte super speeders booth at the NY autoshow right now. I'll be down this week with some models and the camera!!!

Sup Nathan!

Yes you do... I'm going to Pocono this weekend with metroNYPCA.

Weekend after (Sun 4/22) i'll be at the meadowlands again with NNJR-PCA. Def come out to that if you can.

Long distance relationships are tough!

Do you have an online preview/clip we can see? Description? What did you film?
turboman808
QUOTE(yarin @ Apr 11 2007, 06:53 AM) *

Sup Nathan!

Yes you do... I'm going to Pocono this weekend with metroNYPCA.

Weekend after (Sun 4/22) i'll be at the meadowlands again with NNJR-PCA. Def come out to that if you can.

Long distance relationships are tough!

Do you have an online preview/clip we can see? Description? What did you film?

I might try to make it down to Pocono this weekend. I haven't been there in awhile. I'll be in Texas the next week LOL

I really don't have anything online I can show right now. I do however have some photos from my party last saturday if any likes half naked women like I do biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Reasons for keeping the top on during Ax runs

Air flow over the car and not hitting the back window

I sneak my windows up as far as I can too.

Shade.... It is freaking hot down here.

I have two tops one with holes cut in the back to let air out and removed a buch of fiberglass and foam material. probably 2 pounds less than even an early top. and one is stock with all the gaskets and stuff.
crash914
kool...

sounds too quiet though....get some noise!!!
yarin
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 11 2007, 01:54 PM) *

Reasons for keeping the top on during Ax runs

Air flow over the car and not hitting the back window

I sneak my windows up as far as I can too.

Shade.... It is freaking hot down here.

I have two tops one with holes cut in the back to let air out and removed a buch of fiberglass and foam material. probably 2 pounds less than even an early top. and one is stock with all the gaskets and stuff.

Good for that extra 1/10? I didn't have the rear window problem up until about a week ago. I just installed a lexan window, a bit easier on the ears now.

What do you prefer? Too hot or too cold? It was 35F in the morning when we started running. Started snowing a few times during the day.

My car is FAR from quiet.. i need a new muffler. Right now my config is a 4-2-1 header running into a small flowmaster. No chance in hell of passing sound at limerock, that and its really raspy/annoying at high revs decelerating.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.