Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BREAKING NEWS: Quick Vic Comes to 914World.com!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Eric_Shea
BREAKING NEWS: QUICK VIC COMES TO 914World.com!!

Click to view attachment

Same teener time, same teener channel:

What Day? - Sunday May 6th
What Time? - 8:00PM EST - 5:00PM PST
What Site? - www.914World.com of course!

Join us for a live chat with racing legend Vic Elford. Sit back and enjoy from the comfort of your own living room as Vic logs on and answers "your" questions!

For those not "in the know" here's a little tic about Vic:

Born on June 10th 1935 in London, England is perhaps the greatest all-round driver ever. By 1967 Quick Vic was "the man" for the Porsche Factory Team. Victories in the Geneva, Stuttgart-Lyon-Charbonnières and Tulip rallies coupled with podium finishes on Monte Carlo and the Tour de Corse, all in a 911, assured Vic Elford the European GT Rally Championship.

Click to view attachment

Podium finishes continued to abound in this, his first season of circuit racing, winning the British championship and his international debuts in Porsche 911R, 906 and 910 at Le Mans, Mugello, Reims and Nurburgring.

Vic finished the season on a high note with "Le Marathon de la Route" at the Nurburgring. Driving a 911R Sportomatic, he drove an amazing four consecutive 7 1/2 hour rain and fog filled nights around the Sud/NordSchleife track, to win this mind-boggling 84 hour event.

1968 saw victory in the Monte Carlo Rally in a 911, followed a week later by victory in the 24 hours of Daytona in a 907, Porsche's first ever outright win in a 24 hours race.

At the Targa Florio, despite starting the second lap of the ten lap, 720 km race more than 18 minutes behind the leading car, Vic and co-driver Umberto Maglioli came back to win by more than a minute. Porsche, in recognition of his efforts, dedicated their traditional victory poster not to the car, but to the driver. The only time a Porsche poster ever featured only the driver - not the car.

Click to view attachment

Drawing on the experience of all those hours at night on the Nurburgring the year before, Vic followed up with victory, the first of three, in the 1000kms of Nurburgring, associated with Jo Siffert in a 908 Coupe.

By 1971 Vic had become one of the very few drivers to have won both the American Crown Jewels of endurance racing, the 24 hours of Daytona and the 12 hours of Sebring.

Lap records included:

• Targa Florio
• Nurburgring
• Daytona
• Sebring
• Norisring
• Monza
• Buenos Aires
• Road Atlanta
• Laguna Seca
• Riverside and
• Le Mans - where he was the first driver to lap at over 150mph in the Porsche long-tail 917 in 1970!

Click to view attachment

Vic was one of the select few Porsche 917 and Ferrari 512 drivers hired by Steve McQueen to do the high speed close-up action driving for Steve's film "Le Mans". During the 24 hours of Le Mans, when a Ferrari crashed in front of him, Vic stopped in mid-race to extricate the driver from his burning car. T.V. cameras caught the action and Vic was named Chevalier de l'Ordre National du Mérite by French President Georges Pompidou for his act of courage and heroism.

Need more?

Who wrote the book on Porsche High-Performance Driving? Why, Vic Elford of course. The Porsche High-Performance Driving Handbook was and still is the "Bible" for many wanting to improve their times at the autocross track, the rally course or the road course.

Add to that Vic's latest literary achievement Reflections on a Golden Era of Motorsport You "must" get an autographed copy of this book before the event! Get both! Vic mentioned in one of his emails that there are no ghost writers... you get the real Vic Elford in these books.

Brought to you by the friendly admins at 914World.com wink.gif

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
Allan
NICE!!!
seanery
AWESOME!!!

...and timely...great article in Excellence as a prelude thumb3d.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
willie b signing our decklids from cyber-space? laugh.gif

This will be vet-t-t-ty interesting to hear his rememberance of those glory days of Porsche's evolution from spear carrier to front runner. His recall of the 914 from that era should prove interesting as well.

Kudos to the admins for arranging this clap56.gif
URY914
Here is a picture of him after winning the 1968 Monte Carlo rally.

He is on the far right in this team picture.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 9 2007, 06:33 PM) *

He is on the far right in this team picture.

i'm just glad no one fired that cannon ...
huh.gif Andy
Dave_Darling
How the heck do you get great folks like this to chat with us? This is just freaking amazing!!

--DD
Aaron Cox
Z does a good reach around.
SGB
Kowabunga!

He's my idol! I got signed shit, posters, models, saw him at Rennsport II. This guy is more real than than the rest of us. I'm going to be on the road on the 6th, but I can at least watch via smartphone.

Great work! Who do we thank for this?
Chris Pincetich
This World is great, if it were a Club I'd probably join right now.
Eric, this one's for you beer3.gif
Soooooo, uuhhhmmmmm, did he ever race a 914? Not that it reeeaaalllly matters.
Eric_Shea
did he ever race a 914?

Yes, and I believe the 914 lost. w00t.gif

Thanks Chris wink.gif
So.Cal.914
You most definitely rock Eric.
Rusty
This is awesome! smilie_pokal.gif

I checked out the link for the Driving Handbook... if you get one at his site, he'll dedicate and sign it for you. Count me in... I'm going to get one today.

Damn, this is cool. biggrin.gif
rhodyguy
too bad nothing interesting ever happens here.

k
drew365
Glad you called him back. biggrin.gif He has a lot of great stories to tell and tells them well.
pbanders
Amazing. The master of the 917 to speak with us. Guys who drove cars of that era were incredibly brave, the cars were insanely fast yet lacked nearly any safety features. Add in that the courses like Spa and Le Mans were complete death traps, too.
jgara962
WOW!

Eric_Shea
Peeps...

Please log on and grab one of Vic's books, DVD's, prints or posters. As mentioned by Uncle Rusty, he'll personally sign them for you! You simply can’t beat that.

The most celebrated Porsche driver in history is coming to 914World to chat with you “gratis”. Please, please, please show him your gratitude by purchasing one of his books.

I'm getting the new book as I already have Porsche High-Performance Driving Handbook. I can tell you this; the lessons gleaned from just one paragraph in that book are worth the price of admission.

Again, please support Vic on this and, let him know where the best group of Porschephiles resides.

Click Here for Vic's Store
seanery
I just purchased 3 books (and mentioned the 914world chat, too wink.gif )

1. Reflections on a Golden Era of Motorsport
2. Porsche High-Performance Driving Handbook
3. KINGS OF THE NURBURGRING DER NURBURG-RING: A HISTORY 1925 - 1983
iamchappy
This is great! Only thing better that I can think of is bringing Mark Donahue back from the dead to join us...
Eric_Shea
I just got "Golden Era" smile.gif
Pat Garvey
Eric,

You sucked us right in earler (well, not really. My fraternity DID know Vicky Elford, and she WAS fast, just couldn't be handled)

Great stuff!
Pat
Eric_Shea
I'm still not talking to you for that "older than dirt" comment mad.gif

biggrin.gif
seanery
The books I ordered yesterday afternoon shipped this morning! w00t.gif Jumpy.gif w00t2.gif w00t1.gif
TROJANMAN
very cool eric clap56.gif
Eric_Shea
Thanks Greg,

Got another email from Vic today...

I'm looking forward to our online chat. A new experience. Should be interesting!

Best regards,

Vic Elford
www.VicElford.com
URY914
Does anyone know where Vic lives?
I thought he was in Miami.

Anyone know?
Eric_Shea
Yes, he's in S. Fla.

I asked if he wanted a facilitator (I was think'n about ya) but he said no. He wants to do it all himself. wink.gif
URY914
Here he is on the right.

BKLA
I must first preface this story with the fact that Vic Elford was one of the finest Porsche drivers ever to push the loud pedal. As a youngster, my friends thought I was crazy. Their favorite drivers were people like Mario Andretti or Mark Donohue - mine was Vic Elford.

Many years later, imagine my glee that Mr. Elford was to become the 1985 IMSA Renault Cup manager, the last year of the series. He was a great guy to talk and work with. Because of his help, along with others - I was able to place in the top ten a number of times that last season. We became friendly and kept in touch until about 1989 when I ran a formula ford out at riverside before it formally closed. (old turn 8 was already gone, but a revised 7,7B complex was there and was still fun to drive.) He was there coaching a young driver and we talked about what we were both involved with, career wise. After that, I hadn't talked with him until...

Five years later in 1994, I ran into him at Sebring 12 hour. I was glad to see him again and said so. We chatted briefly, but he was very disappointed that I had put on some weight and wasn't driving as much as I had in the past. ( I wasn't there to drive, although I brought my gear "just in case" the opportunity arose.) The conversation became quite personal and I was dumbfounded, having not spoken to him for nearly five years.

I will never forget that conversation. I was shocked and hurt about what was said. Even the extraordinary among us have issues that we deal with in our lives. What it taught me was that all of us are human. I doubt that now he would even remember me, or that conversation.

I have seen him at many races since, but never approached him. Sometimes, it is better not to meet your heros.

Quick Vic is and will always be, one of the finest Porsche drivers of all time. I have a number of signed photos that I have purchased over the years as he is still one of my favorite drivers. Enjoy the email chat. He has great stories!!!

Like you and me, however, he is human.
Part Pricer
I took this picture of Vic during the "Great Road Races" session at the Amelia Island concours last month. It should help everyone picture the man who is sitting in front of a computer answering your questions.

Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif
Eric_Shea
Got my book yesterday! Signed to me with some extras thrown in!!

Awesome...
Eric_Shea
icon_bump.gif anyone else visit Vic's store?
Chris Pincetich
Yeah - I can't decide whether to save my $$$$ for autographed 917 slot cars, a full art poster, that new front window seal that just came out, or rebuilt calipers to go with my powdercoated struts (are they done yet?)????????
All are great choices, I think I can afford the book right after I finish filing taxes beerchug.gif
carr914
Vic's a very cool guy, with a wicked sense of humor. I got to spend time with him a few years ago when he worked for Skip Barber. Milka Duna then hired him as agent and coach. Heard she stiffed him on the money side.

T.C.
carr914
I always thought that Vic and Hans Stuck were the Masters of car control.

T.C.
grantsfo
COOL!!!!! He is one of my racing hero's! I saw him race the "Sucker Car" back in the 70's when I was a kid. We have to get him to talk about the 2J. I think he was one of the first guys to go under 1 minute lap times on the old Laguna Seca course. That car was quite controversial and I'd love to hear his stories about the car.

IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Coming up on the two-week mark gang... wink.gif
carr914
I had forgotten that Vic drove the 2J and I can't believe how many die cast cars I have. I saw the 2J debut at the Glen.

T.C.
Eric_Shea
I have a 1/10 remote control version of that... I use it to vacuum the house with w00t.gif
johnlush
icon_bump.gif

Got my copy of "Reflections on a Golden Era of Motorsport" today. Looks like a great read! Looking forward to the chat.
ClayPerrine
icon_bump.gif

Waiting for tomorrow night.

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Apr 22 2007, 03:13 PM) *

I had forgotten that Vic drove the 2J and I can't believe how many die cast cars I have. I saw the 2J debut at the Glen.

T.C.

That car Sucked...
TROJANMAN
Is this tonight?

bump for update.............smile.gif
orthobiz
I have other plans and will have to read the after-the-fact transcript, BUT I absolutely applaud the efforts of our administrators to get these first-rate events going. It's just another part of what makes this the best 914 site on the web!

Paul
Eric_Shea
Tonight is the night.

Vic seems ready to go... I was emailing him yesterday.

Thanks Paul.
URY914
He's ready to go...

blitZ
So, how do we get to the chat?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.