Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail to side shift motor mount question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
94teener2

I posted a WTB in the classifieds for the mount, but thought more people would see my questions if I posted here.

Need to change the motor mount (which I need to find) to accept a side shift cross member. Can this be done with the fan shroud in place? In reality it's can I put the fan shroud on now and finish the motor assembly or should I wait?

Also I have a couple of 1.5" dia X 1.3" tall aluminum pieces that I thinking of using as solid mounts for the cross member. Are these tall enough, too tall, I can mill them down if necessary.

Thanks
rhodyguy
th round mounts have a squared portion on the shank near the rubber that fits into the squared off mount hole on the bracket, that locks it in. the brackets can be installed shroud in place but it's much easier with it off. i think with those solid aluminum mounts there would be some shakin' in the seat of your pants. you might find it annoying. the late stock rubber mounts are pretty cheap.

k
94teener2
This is going to be a track car so I'm not to worried about the vibration. I can square off the tops to create a boss for indexing. Any Idea if the height is about right?

thanks for the reply

A
type47
make it easy on yourself and drop the engine. since it's a race car, you need the practice biggrin.gif

really, what does it take... 2 hrs to drop an engine? (experienced droppers...) and to have to work around all that stuff when the engine is in the car will add more than 2 hrs of aggravation.
r_towle
wait till you find the mounts.
The bolts along with the socket wrench dont fit , you can probably fit an open ended wrench in there...but I would wait.

Let me go look and see if I have a set.
You just need the brackets, right?
I think I may.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 9 2007, 06:48 PM) *

make it easy on yourself and drop the engine. since it's a race car, you need the practice biggrin.gif

agree.gif did it once with the engine in the car. not worth the pain. dropping the engine is quicker ...

smash.gif Andy
rhodyguy
this used mount measures 1 1/8"+-. there's a little compression on one side. you can see the square portion i refered to.

k
94teener2
Verrry Coool! man I love this site.

A

PS I have the engine out now and was wondering weather to put all the tin and crap back on.

rhodyguy
check your pms.

k
Chris Pincetich
Hey, you're in Livermore!
I just did the mount swap and am getting ready for the tell-all thread from my side-shift conversion project. With advice from McMark, I dropped the engine to change mounts and get the forward shift rod in. To get a socket wrench in to the mount, or get more than 1/32 of a turn on a open wrench, you'll want to remove the fan and pull the housing back, but NOT off, just enough so it hangs on the long mounting bolts. Photo below shows alternator belt off, fan off, fan screws (use 12 pt just like CV bolts)
Chris Pincetich
Here is the socket on the old early mount I wanted to swap out, looks OK here, but loosening the bolt and removal means it goes all the way back and barely squeezes out of the gap.
Chris Pincetich
OK, I'm on a roll. I JUST STARTED MY 914 after a MONTH thanks to this site, so time to give back the karma. Last shot is my powdercoated late mount bar, with rubber mounts and brackets mocked up for easy inspection beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.