Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - 968 engine in a 85.5 and newer 944?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
Does anyone know what it takes to swap in a 968 motor into a normally aspirated 85.5 and newer 944?

tia,
-sean
Allan
This is a 914 board... biggrin.gif
Brando
It's doable.

You need the (complete) engine, trans, driveshaft (complete), shift coupling and anything else that has to do with the drivetrain. The spline-count on the shaft is different between the 944 and 968 driveshaft/clutch assembly. On an S2 they're the same.

You'll also need the DME, complete engine wiring harness, and a big fuching shoehorn to finagle the engine around. I would advise going with the 968's brake master cylinder and booster as that's a very possible tight collision point. I think there are issues making it work on the front crossmember in early 944s, can't exactly remember for later 944s.

And I think that's it! Guages should still work the same, but you may want to get wiring diagrams for both and do comparisons.
EdwardBlume
Its been done.

I saw a 944 converted to a 968 motor. It was a 944s owned by Barry Prangle here in N Cal. Don Wise can tell you more about it. Look up Don's Autowerks in Campbell CA.

From what I can remember, they said its much easier to convert a 944Turbo since most of the plumbing doesn't have to be redone. Find a 944Turbo with a blown engine and bat a bing bat a boom !
racerbvd
QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Apr 9 2007, 10:22 PM) *

Its been done.

I saw a 944 converted to a 968 motor. It was a 944s owned by Barry Prangle here in N Cal. Don Wise can tell you more about it. Look up Don's Autowerks in Campbell CA.

From what I can remember, they said its much easier to convert a 944Turbo since most of the plumbing doesn't have to be redone. Find a 944Turbo with a blown engine and bat a bing bat a boom !

Let me know if you need an engine.
seanery
Byron, tell me more...
racerbvd
QUOTE(seanery @ Apr 10 2007, 02:38 PM) *

Byron, tell me more...

flag.gif

968 Engine, Everything to Swap!!
A PCA club racer has a 968 motor 1992 w/69,000 includes brain, harness fuel-rail, basicly everything needed to swap out an early car. The only thing he would take in trade is a 964 engine,but would sell outright. His name is Ray, contact him directly at
(904)923-4777
alpha434
How about a Cayenne turbo motor into a 928?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.