Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914 V8 ad keeps getting flagged off Craigslist
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
Ok, someone emailed not to mention Brad R. who worked on my car so I deleted that. I revised the ad and got flagged for the second time. What else should I remove? "914world.com" or "Renegade" references?

Here's how it was posted.
1970 Porsche 914 V8 357cid Renegade Conversion w/Chalon body kit

This 914 was purchased non-running 22 years ago with the sole intent of converting it to V8 power influenced by all the V8 magazine articles of the time. It has a modified fiberglass "Chalon" 911 Carrera-look body with cut off b-pillars and fabricated aluminum boxed rockers. In 2003 it was professionally sorted for $4000 labor, who installed a Renegade Hybrids Radiator, ($1000) tall geared transmission ($1500), welded in a chassis kit, and refurbished the brakes, struts, and did other work to make it road worthy. I drove it to the a 914 West Coast Classic event in 2004. I replaced the 283 in early 2005 with a high performance 357cid engine, new Renegade conversion kit ($2000) and accessories, Borla exhaust mufflers ($300), and many more parts. It has a great power-to-weight ratio, parts reliability and availability, and lightweight body. The car now has a professionally built custom engine and personally installed with the latest Renegade conversion parts listed. I have a detailed rebuild thread on 914world.com. The engine sounds awesome with the performance parts, Milodon gear drive (not too high pitched) and Borlas. While a 930 transaxle is ideal, the costs to modify it to work in the 914 would be in excess of $9k. This modified 914 transaxle should be durable enough with careful driving and is much less costly to repair or replace.

Vehicle Condition

Most rust areas were patched in 2003, small cracks in dash, interior has typical wear. Don't expect a modern or quiet ride. The lighter doors are flimsy and windows don’t roll up easily. The body was professionally painted in 1987 but was not garaged or covered so it could use a repaint. There are small dents and scratches throughout the body. The hood was replaced with an off color hood when the original lock mount broke. There is rust bubbling at the front left fender (common) and paint peeling at the base of the targa band. The interior is worn but complete. VIN# is 4702906294. It has a salvage title probably because it was not running when I bought it. It has a California BAR tag from a referee station (all pre-75 are now smog exempt.)

Engine, Drivetrain, and Cooling Modifications
• Professionally custom built 357 cid10:1 Compression, Ross Racing Pistons, 6 inch Eagle H Beam connecting rods, 2.02 - 1.60 Edelbrock RPM Aluminum Heads, Forged crankshaft, Milodon gear drive, Edelbrock Cam Hydraulic Flat Tappet, 1.5 Aluminum Roller Rockers, High Volume oil pump, New Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum intake manifold, New Accel HEI 8.8mm spark plug wires, New HEI 500k coil distributor, New Bosch plugs. This engine was built ~3 years ago at the cost of over $7000 and dyno tuned at 402hp w/FI,. It sat idle for 2 years and had limited miles when ran in a street and track 914 V8.

• Renegade engine mount, new Chevy rubber engine mounts, solid transmission mounts
• New Edelbrock 750 CFM carburetor, Holley air cleaner
• New Renegade billet aluminum V8 conversion bell-housing adapter.
• New rebuilt Holley Blue electric pump, clear fuel filter, and regulator
• New Renegade Harmonic balancer, Gates belts
• New Renegade high torque mini starter
• New Renegade 9” Kevlar clutch upgrade, pressure plate, TO bearing steel mount, and flywheel
• Corvette Hooker Competition ceramic coated headers
• New Borla 2 ½ stainless steel mufflers
• New Renegade water pump and bracket
• New Renegade filler expansion tank, inlets, outlets
• New Renegade alternator bracket and Chrome Hitachi high amp alternator
• New Premium Renegade Hybrids aluminum radiator with dual fans and thermo-switch. I have a manual toggle switch that can be connected as well
• New Gates green stripe lines routed under the chassis directly to the engine to eliminate air pockets, purchased in 2003
• Rebuilt 4-speed transmission (possibly Rod Simpson or Bobby Hart) with stronger tall gears for V8 rpm’s – no documentation except a technical thread link and pictures during inspection. The front windshield glass and aluminum trim have been replaced but needs a few clips at one corner
• Koenig sport driver's seat made to fit the 914 back pad
• Formuling France steering wheel and Porsche adapter hub, horn does not work
• Tachometer calibrated by North Hollywood gauge
• 2” VDO water temperature, clock, and voltmeter gauges mounted under dash
• Short shift adapter, sport red shift knob
• Dash mat

Body and Suspension Modifications

• Chalon fiberglass kit includes front and rear bumpers, 911 lenses, slope nose Carrera shaped fender flares (new kits are $3000)
• Custom aluminum boxed rockers ($200)
• GT full mesh engine lid for better cooling (new are $200)
• Hella fog lights ($75)
• Chassis stiffening kit
• European tail lenses ($200)
• Porsche rear center lense, needs some studs fixed ($75)
• Rear AA trunk fiberglass wing ($120)
• Rear trunk lid gas strut kit – Ken Schipper ($60)
• Optima battery relocated to Rear Trunk with billet aluminum holder ($250)
• 911 steel space saver collapsible spare, leaks needs sealant ($75)
• 911 drivers side mirror ($75)
• 911T Boge strut Front Suspension ($200)
• Koni adjustable shocks ($200)
• 911 m calipers, installed 2003 ($100)
• 911 19mm master cylinder, brake line “T” , installed 2006 ($100)
• 15x8 American Eagle Porsche Fuchs style wheels with low miles ($400)
• Kumho Ecsta 225 50HR – 15 tires with low miles, purchased 2003 ($250)
• Weltmeister 22mm adjustable front sway bar, purchased 2006 ($200)
• Stainless Steel Brake hoses at calipers, purchased 2003 ($100)
• Bilstein rear shocks with height adjustable spring perchs ($250)
• New Renegade Hybrids 190 lb blue rear springs, purchased 2003 ($150)
• Steel 5 lug spacer/adapters in the rear ($100)
• Computer four wheel alignment done by a Roger Kraus Racing. ($250)

Needs:
• The new gas hose can be re-routed in the tunnel. I currently run it through the right rocker box.
• I have exhaust tips that need to be installed
• The windshield seal is split but can be glued, some trim needs installation
• Brakes need to be bled
• The new carb has manual choke (no cable yet) and I have an electric choke module. It needs precise ignition tuning.
• Some rust appears at a location under the car long, it needs to be addressed
• Speedometer stopped working. The gear at the transmission was replaced and I have a new cable yet to install. I have a spare instrument cluster too.
• The windshield wipers don't work. I’ve replaced the motor but needs the connectors corrected or switch checked
• The door panel vinyl needs gluing
• There is no heater but I have a small Capri core that mounts in the air box or you can purchase V8 heating systems from Renegade Hybrids.
• The wiper motor/blades were replaced but needs correct wiring.
• The roll cage needs flanges welded and bolted into the car

• Spare parts (race doors, gas tank, instruments, headlight asm., etc.
• Reciepts (work in 2003 was documented but receipts were not provided)
• Large soft copy collection of Porsche conversion magazines articles
• Large soft copy collection of 914 conversion examples
• Safety Systems bolt-in roll cage with removable door bars, needs 2 flanges welded ($450 value)
Will consider best offers. I can't take trades at this time...
New fiberglass replacement body parts are still available for the Chalon body. If you don’t like the Chalon body, you can transplant everything into a clean and usually inexpensive tub. The drivetrain and parts are worth well over $10k.
SirAndy
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Apr 9 2007, 09:46 PM) *

Ok, first someone emailed not to mention Brad R. who worked on my car so I deleted that. I revised the ad and got flagged for the second time. What else should I remove? "914world.com" or "Renegade" references?

i haven't used CL in years. what does "flagged off" mean? and by whom? an admin? normal users?

and if and when, don't they have to give you a specific reason as to why?

confuzzled ...
confused24.gif Andy
machina
maybe its just too verbose for a craigslist ad. i've never seen an ad that long on there. try a shorter ad with a link to additional info and see how it flies.
McMark
Users reading the ad can click a link to 'flag' an ad as inappropriate. You might try contacting someone at craigslist.org. Maybe I'm a cynic, but it sounds like someone is playing childish games with your ad. At least they're free to post! wink.gif
3liter914-6
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Apr 10 2007, 01:46 AM) *

Ok, someone emailed not to mention Brad R. who worked on my car so I deleted that. I revised the ad and got flagged for the second time. What else should I remove? "914world.com" or "Renegade" references?

I think it may be the fact that you don't have a price listed. But who really knows, there are lots of pricks out there on CL with agendas, and the need to exert their authority over others. I wish there were some way to reign in some of the users, maybe a karma system or a limited number of flags per user per day.

Andy:

CL has flagging, where you can flag posts as spam, prohibited, etc. After more than one flagging (I don't know if there's a set amount), the posting will be "removed by the craigslist community". If a user has one posting flagged off, I think it's easier to have subsequent postings flagged. It has potential, but it in some sections, there are groups who try to hijack the system. They flag down and bully any poster that doesn't meet their strict, arbitrary, and unwritten standards. It can lead to a lot of frustration and confusion for someone who somehow catches their attention.
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 9 2007, 09:56 PM) *

Users reading the ad can click a link to 'flag' an ad as inappropriate.

without anybody double-checking? WTF.gif

who came up with that ingenious plan?
huh.gif Andy
boxstr
Felix, Either shorten the ad, that is a novel. People don't want to see all of that on CL. Or put in a hot link to the information.
CCLINMYLIST
PRS914-6
agree.gif
I usually put a brief description and one or two pictures with a link to my web site that contains all the info. I just did that with my motorcycle and sold it in 2 days
EdwardBlume
They're just jealous of your car and they have no nuts. I've had success on CL by being brief with positive spin.

Hope it sells fast !
brer
list it in another city.
you're being messed with and thats just not cool.

dont rule out someone flagging till you get pissed enough to unload it cheap.
Crazyhippy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 9 2007, 10:59 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 9 2007, 09:56 PM) *

Users reading the ad can click a link to 'flag' an ad as inappropriate.

without anybody double-checking? WTF.gif

huh.gif Andy

It takes more than one flag to have it removed... chairfall.gif
siverson
Andy

I think his name is Craig. smile.gif

-Steve
JRust
The also have the ability to ban you from an area. For some reason on seattle's Craiglist I had an add flagged. I tried reposting & it was flagged. After trying multiple posts & having them all flagged I quit trying to post there. I think if you are set to ban the system will let you post your add. Since it takes up to 15 minutes for it to show up. I think the system catches that it is you & deletes it. I could be wrong but I don't see why some jackass would sit in front of his computer just to flag your add for 2 hours straight. Do make sure you aer not breaking any rules. Like posting in multiple cities with the same add. Good luck
tyler
Could be a "porscheapheliac" dude disgusted with what you did to the 914.
propricer
Felix ... take the word Corvette out ... it's appearing under the Corvette section and they probably don't want to read about Porsches.
Try using the word Vet and see if it still appears when you type Corvette in the searchword.
Good luck with it ... Ed
Jenny
Because craigslist trolls are asshats. That's why. I recently got my post flagged and removed by "the craigslist community" because I voiced my opinion about a dumbshit that posted something stupid. I don't bother with craigslist so much anymore. Half of what's posted are from flakes, the other half from Nigerians. The best of section is killer tho.

Jen
Ferg
Yep, I've been flagged before, seems like a silly policy for self policing the site.

But it did work to my advantage too, someone was selling a car stupid cheap, it was flagged right away as a scam. I showed up and paid cash, (it was stupid cheap) seller could not figure out why he didn't get any other calls besides me.

Yes I'm going to hell happy11.gif

Ferg biggrin.gif

cooltimes
I can see your ad all the way over in Tennessee.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/309152338.html

Maybe those complaining are using slow connections.
But then again, Craigslist is full of lurkers wanting to piss on others ads or feed em lots of spam.

SirAndy
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Apr 10 2007, 01:27 PM) *

I can see your ad all the way over in Tennessee.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/309152338.html

Maybe those complaining are using slow connections.
But then again, Craigslist is full of lurkers wanting to piss on others ads or feed em lots of spam.

well, what do you know ...

that link works for me as well ...
confused24.gif Andy
neo914-6
I've shortened the ad and may do more...
Added a price
Removed "914world"
Removed "Renegade" from the title
I previously changed "Brad Roberts" to Brad R and then completely removed it
Shortened "Corvette"

I've had mostly positive experience from CL and with multiple ads posted this is the only one flagged and done so twice. confused24.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.