Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Ford GT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
Oh yeah. I can vouch for it.

I got a ride in a Ford GT today from one of my clients. It was spectacular. Ford did that one right. Also saw a 2007 Shelby GT500.....

I've never paid too much attention to Ford but WOW, the GT is a real exotic.
So.Cal.914
Was this a new one? Saw a program that was released before they went on

sale to the public, building of the prototype, damn.
jasons
QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Apr 10 2007, 12:06 AM) *

Oh yeah. I can vouch for it.

I got a ride in a Ford GT today from one of my clients. It was spectacular. Ford did that one right. Also saw a 2007 Shelby GT500.....

I've never paid too much attention to Ford but WOW, the GT is a real exotic.

My friend flys some guys PJ (Citation X for you plane guys). PJ owner keeps a Ford GT in his hangar. Friend took me for a "quick" ride on the taxi-way. All I can say is FAWK! I love that car.
EdwardBlume
My ride was short (through the streets and expressways of Sacramento) but yeah. It has the look of an exotic. The practicality of an exotic. It throws you back like a muscle car, but has all the features of a modern car.

For those of you who have an spare $150K (I don't) I highly recommend it.
EdwardBlume

No, this one was a 2005. I believe they are done with production (2005-2006 only).
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Apr 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *

No, this one was a 2005. I believe they are done with production (2005-2006 only).

The Ford GT 40 came out in the 60's, Dan Gurney drove one. The new one's came

out in 2005 I believe. Thats what I ment by 'New one". Cool Car.
Aaron Cox
none of you could fit in the original....
shaggy
the original had sub par aerodynamics and would get light around 150.

the new ones are nice!
really torquey.
supercharged 5.4L v-8 550bhp 500ft/lb

they are very large inside.
comfortable and not too loud, you can hear the super though.
production began in 2004 only 4000 were to be made.
200 in the special gulf throw back colors.
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
the original had sub par aerodynamics

av-943.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(shaggy @ Apr 10 2007, 04:50 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Yup, the aerodynamics look screwed up to me, must have been hell at 210 mph.

Just can't understand why they were so successful. huh.gif

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 10 2007, 04:37 PM) *

Thats why the Gurney bubble.
Brando
Yeah, it might be fast and all... But it's still a FORD... Quality must be sub-par (using all fords I have been around lately as relevant expreience).
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Brando @ Apr 10 2007, 06:30 PM) *

Yeah, it might be fast and all... But it's still a FORD... Quality must be sub-par (using all fords I have been around lately as relevant expreience).

The result was the GT-40-so named because it was only 40 inches high-and in 1966 it swept Ferrari from the winner's circle at the famed 24 hours of LeMans race. Capable of reaching 220 miles per hour...

Yup, a real Piece-O-Crap, they only dared run it for 24 hours. biggrin.gif
73Phoenix20
Yep, the Ford GT (new one!) is fast, but not quite that fast... 4 seconds plus to 60 mph, but I guess that's splitting hairs...

And it's okay on the inside but not big enough for a 6'4" dude... I had to slouch badly to close the door... 6 feet is tops if you want to drive it with any degree of comfort...

Maybe with a different seat base???

And the quality is Very Good, but sort of "Race Car"... nice but rather "brutal" looking, up close... which suits me just fine... Interior is not up to $150K level, but maybe I'm picky... a 73 911T had a nicer interior, IMHO.

This one is Titanium Grey... doesn't attract too many cops... Enjoy the "Real World" photo!

Click to view attachment
Brando
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Apr 10 2007, 06:54 PM) *
QUOTE(Brando @ Apr 10 2007, 06:30 PM) *
The result was the GT-40-so named because it was only 40 inches high-and in 1966 it swept Ferrari from the winner's circle at the famed 24 hours of LeMans race. Capable of reaching 220 miles per hour...

Yup, a real Piece-O-Crap, they only dared run it for 24 hours. biggrin.gif

Not talkin about the GT-40. That was a real masterpiece and worth every penny invested into it's R&D and production.

However, all of their newer vehicles seem to be sub-par in production quality and parts quality. I highly doubt even their new top of the line Mustangs will be nearly as reliable as their 30-years-ago older siblings.
Eric_Shea
doesn't attract too many cops

I can see why... huh.gif

biggrin.gif
drive-ability
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Apr 10 2007, 06:28 PM) *

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 10 2007, 04:37 PM) *

Thats why the Gurney bubble.

So.Cal.914,
A little racing trivia I had forgotten driving.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(shaggy @ Apr 10 2007, 03:50 PM) *

the new ones are nice!
really torquey.
supercharged 5.4L v-8 550bhp 500ft/lb

they are very large inside.
comfortable and not too loud, you can hear the super though.
production began in 2004 only 4000 were to be made.
200 in the special gulf throw back colors.
Click to view attachment

Sub par aerodynamics...as opposed to what? An arrow...they seemed ok on the Mulsanne straight in the day..... confused24.gif
EdwardBlume
I thought the cockpit was wide, but not much height. Getting in and out is kinda tough with most of the roof on the door.

As far as a Ford and quality and all... the Ford quality crap was a fact like 15-20 years ago, but taking a lesson from Honda / Toyota etc, its all automated now. The GT is nowhere close to a production street car so its tough to throw it in with the bathwater. Perception is what it is though.

I can tell you, I would love to have that much 1st gear power in my 993, 914, or anything for that matter. The suspension is tuned perfectly and gives positive and stable feedback. It is also exotic. That kind of bling, and the balls to back it is really cool.
dflesburg
as the owner of a 2003 cobra and a porsche, I can tell u my experience...

The ford quality may not be as good as the Porsche, however, show me a new 173mph convertable Porsche for $40,000

Or a new Mid Engine 190mph Porsche for $140,000

They aren't Porsches but then again they aren't Chevy's...

jasons
QUOTE(dflesburg @ Apr 11 2007, 08:09 AM) *

They aren't Porsches but then again they aren't Chevy's...

How would the Z06 figure into all this? Isn't it really the most bang for the buck?

confused24.gif
LS6/914
Would that be a C2, C5 or C6 ZO6 ? I have been at speed in a MK2, not light at all at 189. It is a beautiful piece of history as are the 904, 906 and those prancing stable guys cars. Hard to enter? Yep. Try the same in a 904. Or for that matter a new Lotus Eliese. ....I love em all, especially at speed. Larry
TJB/914
FORD GT-40's are beautiful. pray.gif They had a gathering last year locally & I was able to park my lowly 914 in their presence. The thing that amazed me was how quiet the motor was upon startup. In today's newspaper one is for sale, 2005 blue/white @ $145k. A little out of my current budget.

Tom
orthobiz
Tom, uh, yours is the yellow one, right?

Paul
smg914
Brings back great memories of the day I had a Ford GT all to myself for 2 hours. I absolutely loved the car and didn't want to get out of it. My buddy that owns the car has broken the drive shaft twice in this car.
EdwardBlume
Nice picts! I've seen all of these color combinations in person, and I would say that the blue and orange is excellent.

BTW - Is the 914 taller than the F-GT ???
jasons
I'm not really a car stereo person, but this was one of my favorite features. McIntosh car stereo, that is...

TJB/914
QUOTE(Rob Ways @ Apr 15 2007, 07:14 AM) *

Nice picts! I've seen all of these color combinations in person, and I would say that the blue and orange is excellent.

BTW - Is the 914 taller than the F-GT ???

Rob,

Yes my 914 is about 4"-5" taller. Here's another side by side that gives a better view.

The other pictures show more of the GT-40's. Note the one of the engine compartment. The gathering started at FORD world headquarters & Bill Ford Jr. signed his name on the engine brace. He was treated like a rock star. Good PR.

Tom
BTW: Paul, yes that's my 914 (beauty & the beast).
TJB/914
More photo's of these beautiful cars.

T
TJB/914
last photo

T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.