Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric Impact Gun
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
I've seen a few guys use impact guns at an autocross and felt as though I should give my hands a break. Changing tires manually spinning a socket takes a hell of a long time. I could use a + lug wrench but would rather go the electric route.

Any suggestions? Brands/models to avoid?

I'd like to keep the price under $150 if possible. I don't mind cracking the lugs manually, but regardless the lugs will torqued with a torque wrench.

I don't see that many +12VDC guns, not enough juice?

The idea of a drill with a 3/8" adapter would work fine running off an AC inverter. Anyone go this route? Certainly the budget way of doing things.

Here are a few links: http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAct...mp;Category=357

Thanks
r_towle
IC loads of cordless ones.

I am getting one this year..
Just found this one...

http://www.toolprice.com/product/7948H?met...CFRaHgQodxhx5wg

rich
Matt Romanowski
If you have a cordless drill, just buy an adapter for it. Then you can break the lugs loose and use the drill to take them off. Better than buying a whole impact.
DonTraver
Check here

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/...ributeSearch.do
Spoke
I bought Craftsman electric impact wrench from Sears and took it back the next day. Unless I was doing something wrong, I couldn't remove the lugs from the wheels which is why I bought it. Unit costed something like $165.

Spoke
DonTraver
You need a +250 ft lb impact wrench to bust loose lugs that have been on a while, try breaking them loose with a lug wrench first. Never over torque lug bolts with a impact wrench, always use a torque wrench to get to final torque.

Later, Don
sww914
I had a cheapie, got rid of it.
I've used a snap-on, they're around $400.00, they're really good.
Hard to justify that expense.
racerbvd
I have a $300 Dewalt and love it!!!! Remember, you get what you pay for!! And it really does work on the tough frozen lugs too!!!
race914
I've used a Harbor Freight #46701 for over two years now and it's great.

It looks like it was discontinued (worked too good) but this one appears close

Not saying all harbor freight items are wonderful, but some are good. The trick is to weed out the gold from the crap.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Apr 10 2007, 08:10 AM) *

If you have a cordless drill, just buy an adapter for it. Then you can break the lugs loose and use the drill to take them off. Better than buying a whole impact.

I agree, this is what I do.
autohausdolby
QUOTE(sww914 @ Apr 10 2007, 10:05 AM) *

I had a cheapie, got rid of it.
I've used a snap-on, they're around $400.00, they're really good.
Hard to justify that expense.

The guy who rents the shop next door to mine has the Snap On one. It's about 20 times better than my best air tool - I soooo want one.
shaggy
i dont know how often you change tires but when i have been at track days we change tires at every race (5-6 a day) we have an electric one for back up but its torqueless and the battery goes pretty quickly.

if you but an electric impact wrench plan on having power to recharge it often and if thats the case why not buy a small compressor and a inpact wrench?

it has helped in a few emergencies but thats about it.

i would go the compressor route before the electric unless you plan on breaking them by hand and then using a drill to take em off.

if i were to buy a drill id buy milwakue(<-sp?) 18v anything less dosent have enough torque.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.