Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SCCA Runoffs this Sunday
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
maf914
I just thought I would remind anyone interested in racing that the SCCA F Production race will be broadcast on Speed this Sunday, Dec 7, at 12:00 EST. Checking the SCCA sites results, the race had several 914's, but I noticed that three were DNFs.

Congradulations to Chris for first in class. The 914 class! smilie_pokal.gif

BTW, I've been taping and watching the 12 races broadcast so far. There have been some excellent racing, and only a little dirty pool, as far as I've seen. The GT2 race was fantastic, even if two of the three 914s were DNS.

Mike
Gint
The Tivo box is all set up....

I've been watching most of the SCCA runoffs as well. Some great racing.
Curvie Roadlover
I want a Formula 500 car wub.gif Those things look like a ball to drive
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Dec 3 2003, 05:19 AM)
I want a Formula 500 car wub.gif Those things look like a ball to drive

The snowmobile engines with CVT drive train sound just awful though. The engine is near peak revs as long as your foot is on the gas pedal. The TV coverage is nothing like being near the track when they are running. ar15.gif
Curvie Roadlover
Peak torque, though, is the goal, right? with the torque converters. I used to race shifter karts so the noise wouldn't bother me. The speeds might, though, if they're slower than the karts. We used to turn 1:28's at Mid Ohio using the chicane on the way to the keyhole. Know what kind of times the 500's run?
steve@ottosvenice.com
They are probably like the malibu Grand Prix Cars you hold the gas to the floor and use the brakes to adjust the speed
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Dec 3 2003, 07:53 PM)
We used to turn 1:28's at Mid Ohio using the chicane on the way to the keyhole. Know what kind of times the 500's run?

The fastest race lap was a 1:31 and change. No chicane.
Curvie Roadlover
Well there you have it. If I decide to get back into racing I'll get another shifter kart. No better bang for your buck in racing. Large fields too. Thanks Chris.
ChrisFoley
BTW, mine is the only one of five 914's in the race that actually still looks like a teener. I have a windshield and roof and the other guys all cut them off.
Andyrew
That is low...

blink.gif

You must have some very stiff stuff!!!

Nice car!

Andrew
URY914
Chris,
Are those Centerlines?
7" or 8"?

Paul
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 6 2003, 06:47 PM)
Are those Centerlines?
7" or 8"?

Keizer 7 x 15. Approx. 4 1/2" backspace.
redshift
Your car kicks ass.. looks like the Devil's teener.

happy11.gif

M
URY914
Keizer= very pricey but lightweight.

Nice.

Paul
r_towle
Way to go Chris!!!!!

Congrats on finishing....looks like all the other teeners DNF'd

Looks like you need more HP (I happen to know where to get some wink.gif )

Lose the windshield...no one else had a shield...just the honda and you!!!

Rich
fiid
Great footage of you at the end. I watched 2 of the races. This stuff is way more interesting to watch than F1 - I wish more of it was on.

I was interested at the number of MGs and how they were finishing. Are 914's at a rules disadvantage in FProd??

l8r,

Fiid.
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(fiid @ Dec 8 2003, 12:10 AM)
Great footage of you at the end. This stuff is way more interesting to watch than F1 - I wish more of it was on.

agree.gif clap56.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(fiid @ Dec 8 2003, 03:10 AM)
I was interested at the number of MGs and how they were finishing.  Are 914's at a rules disadvantage in FProd??

My 15 minutes of fame have begun. laugh.gif
I was beginning to think there would be no footage of my race when the winner crossed the finish line. The contest ahead of me for 5th place was pretty good, so I guess it was only fair they concentrated on those cars.
Then, lo and behold, there I was on national television. What a hoot! I was all over that yellow Lancia for about the last 5 or 6 laps, and they showed the last half of the last lap. between his greater horsepower and familiarity with Mid-Ohio, and my brake issues I couldn't find a way past. In retrospect maybe I should have tried to go around the outside in the carousel. I'll be replaying that a few more times.

The Midgets and Sprites are the traditional car in FProd and are well developed, especially the Huffaker cars. I think it's pretty easy for them to build an engine at the limit of the rules. That red Spitfire had everybody covered, though, until he pulled off on lap 11.
I think it just takes more money to fully develop a 914 for Production racing. There's about 30 more HP available to me if I can find the funds. Also a bit more suspension work, and track time, and I'll be running some of those guys down.
eresener
Way to go Chris...I watched the event....

seems that I saw on Jakes website someting about racing engine sponsorships...I think if you need to push it to the limit...Jakes the man to get you there...
Ed
fiid
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Dec 8 2003, 04:02 AM)
Then, lo and behold, there I was on national television. What a hoot! I was all over that yellow Lancia for about the last 5 or 6 laps, and they showed the last half of the last lap. between his greater horsepower and familiarity with Mid-Ohio, and my brake issues I couldn't find a way past. In retrospect maybe I should have tried to go around the outside in the carousel. I'll be replaying that a few more times.

Awesome.

It would be great if you could get hold of the footage of the rest of te race - I bet having an outside eye of one's performance during a race would be invaluable for dissecting and figuring out improvements.

Do you run an in-car camera??

Man - I need to get some more seat time and start running some events.
Scott Carlberg
Chris Foley,
GREAT job at the runoffs, AND for getting your Name & Car ALL over the Speed coverage.

They must've mentioned your name almost 1/2 dozen times.

My question about the runoffs....
How does one get invited to the Runoffs?
Do you 'have to' win a national race, or is it about the points you accumulate during the year?
Gint
I watched it too Chris. Nice job! Looked like you were thinking about going around that Lancia at one point.

looks like waaay more fun than scraping paint.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(fiid @ Dec 8 2003, 11:07 AM)

Do you run an in-car camera??

Yes, and I'll be putting a short video on my website soon.

How does one get invited to the Runoffs?

Top ten season points within one's division. One of my goals is to win the division. Top 3 get tow fund money for attending the Runoffs.

Looked like you were thinking about going around that Lancia at one point.

That's all I thought about for the last five laps.
Gint
Looked like you were thinking about going around that Lancia at one point.

That's all I thought about for the last five laps.

Well, thanks to the coverage, I only got to see half a lap. You were right on his six lookin ready to bust a move.
maf914
Chris,

I watched my tape again and tried to keep an eye out for your car. In the program intro, I think your car is sitting behind one of the cars they feature. This is a head on shot, but your distinctive headlight intakes are noticeable. Then in the warm-up lap I spotted your car twice, but a very brief twice. The final lap was the crowning moment. Finally some real screen time! smilie_pokal.gif

By the way, what ever happened with the oil cooler/air intake controversy?

Mike
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(maf914 @ Dec 9 2003, 09:34 AM)
...your distinctive headlight intakes are noticeable.

By the way, what ever happened with the oil cooler/air intake controversy?

In the program intro, I think your car is sitting behind one of the cars they feature.

The headlight intakes are for the oil cooler. That is the result of the controversy last spring. I actually think I came up with a better system anyway. smile.gif
The rules are vague and kind of hard to interpret without finding out the hysterical (historical) reason for each rule. It takes a lot of research to reach the edge of the envelope as far as car prep is concerned, without crossing the line unknowingly.

I was on the false grid directly opposite from the top cars, which were featured in the intro. I wondered if they would get my car when they were taping, but I didn't notice the first time I viewed the race. I'll have to check again.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.