Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much wood in a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
race914
No... not what happens when you look at one...

But how much wood is used in the construction of a 914?

So far I know about the driver side floorboard and just discovered more in the targa top while adding a high pressure "vent" for the race car.

Click to view attachment

Anyone else know of more?

Does the manual recommend a timecycle for termite prevention? poke.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Front trunk spare "cover". (you knew that, but just forgot)
race914
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Apr 10 2007, 11:41 AM) *

Front trunk spare "cover". (you knew that, but just forgot)

Oh Yeah.... It's been out of the racecar for so long I forgot!

Just remembered that the center console is wood too, so here's the list so far:

Front trunk spare tire cover
Driver side floorboard
Center Console
Targa Top core

Any one else want to add to the list?

I didn't realize I had so much of the 'Black Forest' in my car blink.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
Balsa hood stiffeners in a /6 GT .
watsonrx13
Door panels...

Glove box....

Back pad....

Lower driver's arm rest...

-- Rob
JeffBowlsby
Center console frame
dr914@autoatlanta.com
could depend on how good looking the babe in the passenger seat is
r_towle
I would guess the top flap of the drivers door compartment thing.

Rich
i love porsche
early door impact reinforcement....at least for my car chairfall.gif
rjames
How about the pieces of wood that push out the outer rocker covers near the rear tires? Or are the ones I found on my car not OEM?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 10 2007, 04:26 PM) *

How about the pieces of wood that push out the outer rocker covers near the rear tires? Or are the ones I found on my car not OEM?

What ARE you referring to? Got a pic? Never saw that before!

Oh, wait a minute! This is BS isn't it? Ya got me!
rjames
Actually no, not BS. I'll look for a pic. The were small pieces of wood about 5x1.5" that were glued to the rocker cover and the rocker panel itself. Looked like they used that insulating foam stuff to 'glue' them into place. They kept the rocker covers pushed out so that they would resist the covers natural tendancy (at least on my car) to lean inward/under the car.

Yeah, I know my description is horrible. Lemme see if I can find a picture of 'em...
Eric_Shea
Am I the only one biting my tongue every time I see the title of this thread? confused24.gif
rjames
Here ya go...
The gum looking stuff is the foam/glue used to hold it in place vertically inside the rocker panel cover in order to push the lower part of the panel outward (thereby keeping the cover nice and straight) by the rear tire.

The car had been repainted before I bought it, but I had thought that by the look of the panels they had never been removed before. So these weren't 'stock' on our cars then? dry.gif
jimtab
[quote name='Eric_Shea' date='Apr 10 2007, 06:53 PM' post='886817']
Am I the only one biting my tongue every time I see the title of this thread? confused24.gif
[/quote

In a word....no.
jimtab
. So these weren't 'stock' on our cars then? dry.gif
[/quote]
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif Welcome to the wonderful world of 914 "modification"......
rjames
Does that mean Porsche never used frisbees for steering wheels either? chairfall.gif
ClayPerrine
Do Curt's bumpers count??? poke.gif

Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Apr 10 2007, 02:32 PM) *

could depend on how good looking the babe in the passenger seat is

George - you're bad! Really, really bad!

That's why we should have some drinks nexxt time I'm in Hotlanta. Need fuel lines - Pm me, please. Pat
sww914
Yours has more than some.
When we built your engine at Guy's, we had to use some pieces of wood to replace little pieces that we lost.
Nothing big really, just a couple of dowels for pushrods and one for an oil pressure relief valve, IIRC. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
race914
QUOTE(sww914 @ Apr 11 2007, 06:57 PM) *

Yours has more than some.
When we built your engine at Guy's, we had to use some pieces of wood to replace little pieces that we lost.
Nothing big really, just a couple of dowels for pushrods and one for an oil pressure relief valve, IIRC. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

So that's why my lifter clatter went away.... always wondered about that

And that explains why it revs higher too since the wood dowels weigh less! biggrin.gif
nola914
I seem to remember that there is a 4" x 3" block shaped like a building keystone somewhere underneath the gas tank. But I'm suffering from old age....
Teknon
How about the trap door in the 70-71 foot well.
So.Cal.914
My 71 didn't have a trap door, but it did have an ejection seat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.