Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need IMI starter wiring pics!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
i have everything ready to go back in the car other than wiring the IMI high torque starter.

depending on how fast i get responses i hope to have the engine in tonight!

id like pictures or a good explanation.

wires i have:
clip from the ignition harness
wire from - battery terminal
wire from alternator
some other red wire that ends in a clip that i think goes to the hot start

i know the hot start is only a bandaid, but before the car came apart it had the hot start and id like to put it together like it came apart.

please help!!!!
this project is a few hours from being done and over a year in the making!

-jim
shaggy
anyone?
bd1308
hey Jim, did you find anything out yet?

I say nix the hot start relay
shaggy
nada...

im not taking the hot start out...
i just need a few pictures...

i dont have anything to do on this car until i get pictures...
shaggy
icon_bump.gif
bd1308
there were pictures here.....

use the force Jim.....

I thought there was a tech article on PP, but I couldnt find it
ottox914
See if this helps: The BIG wire from the battery goes to the starter. As do the red wires in the factory harness. From this point you make a red jumper wire to go from this post of the starter to the left post of the solinoid. The factory yellow wire goes to a middle post of the soliniod. From the post opposite where you made and attached your red "power" jumper, make a yellow jumper and go to the spade clip on the starter, where the factory yellow would go.

When you start the car: power goes from the battery to the starter in the big cable. power also goes to one side of the solinoid with your red jumper. The factory Yellow opens the solinoid, to allow all this clean happy power to move across the solinoid to your yellow jumper, and to deliver a nice jolt of power to the solinoid on the starter, to give it a good kick to get it to spin the starter.

Hope this helps.
904svo
I think this is what your looking for.

Click to view attachment
pin31
Get rid of the hot start stuff, you don't need it (or want it).

Large wire from + battery and Alt wire on the screw terminal. Yellow wire from ignition SW on the spade terminal. That's it.

Make sure your tranny gound strap and other ground and battery connections are clean and soild.

Also if you have a '74 bypass the seatbelt interlock relay (under the passanger's seat) by connecting the large yellow to the large yellow/red with a butt crimp connector.

Let me know how you make out (I've want to install an IMI starter too). Did you have to mount it in such a way the the connections are on top of the starter?
shaggy
thanks.

so i take both the battery wire and the alternator wire and put them both on the same terminal?
SLITS
The + battery cable and the large red wire from the alternator harness both go to the top terminal on the solenoid. An alternator needs current to "excite" the field coils to produce electricity.

With the IMI starter you SHOULD NOT NEED the hot start band-aid. If you continue to have problems in starting, the problem will be in the ignition switch or wiring from the switch to the relay board to the starter ..... or the grounds are bad (strap from tranny to body or engine ground itself).
pin31
QUOTE(shaggy @ Apr 11 2007, 12:59 PM) *

thanks.

so i take both the battery wire and the alternator wire and put them both on the same terminal?

Yes !!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.