Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you read these torsion bar markings?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rotary'14
I have a set of 18mm torsion bars from a 911 that doesn't seem to have an "L" or "R" mark. It does have this arrow and other mark tho.

Can anybody give me any advice on installing these? which is left and right,,, which side goes in first,, etc.

thanks,,
-Rob
Crazyhippy
Those look like the same side to me... Is there any marking on the other side?

BJH
Rotary'14
QUOTE(Crazyhippy @ Apr 11 2007, 12:20 AM) *

Those look like the same side to me... Is there any marking on the other side?

BJH

Nope,, no markings at all WTF.gif

-Rob
Aaron Cox
I think the arrow indicates which way compression travel is designed to go.

so one arrow at the front (drivers side), and the other one flipped 180, so the arrow is at the back.

Dave_Darling
Doesn't work--you can turn the bar 180 degrees and the torsion is still in the same direction.

The bars themselves are non-directional. With use, they take a "set", and if they are stressed in the "other" direction they will fail sooner. That's the reason for the markings. If the bars are new, put them in any way you want--but mark which one goes where, for next time! If they're used, and you cannot determine which one went where, then put them in any way at all and be alert for any suspension changes.

--DD
Mike D.
It looks to me that both of them have an L on them for "left side", but with the arrow it should be on the right.

I know, no help what so ever, sorry
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.