Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two dead cylinders ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JBart
OK here we go

The car was running good it's a 72' 1.7 with dual 44mm Webers yes dual 44's but thats what the PO had on it when I bought it and it ran good .

I drove the car for five months give or take with NO problems till one day some body was showing me about the main jets in the carbs we took out one main jet and I've nothing but problems sence.

I can place my hand over the carb on the left side and the car doesn't know i've choked all the air away and the ex. on the left side is cold . I put new plugs in the car less than a day ago with not change yet the plugs are wet.

Any help would be much appreciated sence I can't drive the car now.

Thanks,
jbart
bd1308
I bet your idle jets are clogged.....

happens quite frequently on webers too
JBart
Thanks, I'll check them and let you know .

Thanks again.
type11969
Check the balance from side to side especially if you have been messing with the idle speed adjustment screws.
rhodyguy
wet plugs and cold pipes... check for spark at the plugs first to rule that issue out. also check for correct wire placement if you had the wires off to examine the plugs. even with plugged idle jets, you should have fire above 3k rpm.

k
Joe Ricard
I bet the idle jet is plugged.
Should be unrelated to main jet messing. However if the main jet is not seated correctly it could be screwing with the mixture.
bd1308
Yes! smile.gif
BMXerror
If your plugs are wet then I would suspect the ignition system, especially the points since it's only one bank. First try checking for spark on both sides. If you have it on one side and not the other, I'd dig into the points, check the gap, make sure they're clean, ect.
Mark D.
JBart
OK this is the story

I know the carbs are too big so I jetting the idle with 47's rather than the 50's that came stock in the carbs. BUT the problem started before changing the jets.

Sence i'm new to the porsche thing I only pull one plug wire at a time but i check it anyway I have spark at all four cyl. (checking at the cap) brand new wires.

I checked the gap on the points they where tight opened them up to .016 or what ever the book said I can't recall now they are good.

I have sprayed carb cleaner around the carbs looking for vaccuum leaks and have found none .

Can I blow air in where the idle jets go from a compressor to blow what ever might be in there or do I just take the carb apart ? That would just scare the sh** out of me!!

The car runs fine at high RPM when I can get it there.

I feel I am headbang.gif
Gint
You take the idle jets out of the carbs and blow them out. Then reinstall them.

In my experience, if you start dickin around with carbs (take the filters off, start undoing screws or main jets, twiddling in general), you'll end up having to clean the idle jets a few times over the coming weeks. Eventually (a week or two of clearing jets) whatever crap got shaken loose that was plugging the jets will clear and the car will run great again and usually stay that way for a good long while. Until you start messing with the carbs again. wink.gif
JBart
Gint ,

I took the idle jets out a couple days ago and they looked fine but I did not blow them out . could they be dirty even though they don't lok like it ? would it hurt to blow air into the carb where the idle jets go ?

Thanks,
jbart
Gint
Idle jets are really small. It doesn't take much to plug them. I would shy away from blowing compressed air in the carb bodies or passages with the carbs installed in the car and loaded with fuel. You could end up blocking a passage somewhere with the very crap your trying to blow out. If you decide to go that route, lower the pressure on your compressor. You don't want 90 psi going through there.

I would just blow out the idle jets and see where it goes from there.
JBart
Gint ,

Thanks I don't want to cause any more problems thats why I was asking I'll stick to blowing the jets out and let you know .

Thanks Again,
jbart
rhodyguy
adding the "runs fine at high rpm" tells alot. pick up a can of Dust-Off (compressed air) at office max or a similar store or turn your compressor way, way down. pull the culprit jets, blow them out. if you get a can of air stick the red plastic straw into the opening that houses the jet holder and give it a few blasts. if the same issue re-occurs, on the same carb, you prob have a bunch of debris in the float bowl and you'll have to clean it (them, as the other bowl prob has crap in it too).

k
Joe Ricard
You can also improve your odds of getting the crap out of the idle circuit by pulling the Idle mixture screws and idle jets. blast carb cleaner through the holes. goes in top where idle jets live. and comes out bottom. Then put the mixture screws back in and blast carb cleaner in top hole again and watch what comes out the progression ports in the carb throat.

If this does not improve thing dramatically Then you are going to have to take the carbs apart and check the opening of the air correction jet in the idle ciruit. (brass jet pressed into the crab top cover)
rhodyguy
blow the jets out backwards, as in from the metered end to the open end so you don't risk jamming the crap in further. have you checkd your fuel filter lately? the fuel is going to fly when you put the air to the carb, shield where you're blowing with a paper towel.

k
Joe Ricard
I have gotten quite good at cleaning idle jets. I also think I have started to get used to having a bit of a gas taste on my lips. Part of the joy of owning carbs.
rhodyguy
icon8.gif . must be a mississippi thing.

k
JBart
A BIG THANKS to everybody,

Unforyunately I can't work on the car this weekend sad.gif . It's my anniversary today
11 years and she still wants the WHOLE weekend . What's up with that??? Thats just not right . Just kidding wouldn't change a thing .

Now back to the car I have alot of things to try and I will get back you as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks Again,
jbart
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.