Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Up the mountain in Tennessee
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fat73
Here's a video shot last week driving from Cowan Tn up the mountain to Sewanee Tn on Hwy 41A. driving.gif Nice wide twisty road ascending about 2000 ft. Some good (but windy at times) sounds from the mid-subie-engined 914. rocking nana.gif

Enjoy...

Ed aka W9R1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOo_D5wrmlU

DerekKim
YOu look like you're going about 35 :-P Haha "Refreshing". Looks like a lot of fun!
watsonrx13
Looked like a nice run until you caught up with traffic....

-- Rob
cooltimes
QUOTE(fat73 @ Apr 11 2007, 01:24 AM) *

Here's a video shot last week driving from Cowan Tn up the mountain to Sewanee Tn on Hwy 41A. driving.gif Nice wide twisty road ascending about 2000 ft. Some good (but windy at times) sounds from the mid-subie-engined 914. rocking nana.gif

Enjoy...

Ed aka W9R1

Thanks for sharing. Now that is a road made for a 914. My favorite state too. Is there a way I could get me a copy of your movie? I don't surrender privacy that youtube wants from everyone to fetch a copy there.
I don't understand the lack of people heading into that region more often for a fun time like you had with your 914 on that stretch of 41A. Was that Smoky ahead of you at the end? Nothing like being alone on the road like that. Easy to see where you aren't playing follow the leader.
BTW. I have driven that road a few times too.
Thanks.
Mike Cooley
Oakfield, TN.
fat73
QUOTE(cooltimes @ Apr 11 2007, 07:37 PM) *

Enjoy...

Ed aka W9R1

Thanks for sharing. Now that is a road made for a 914. My favorite state too. Is there a way I could get me a copy of your movie? I don't surrender privacy that youtube wants from everyone to fetch a copy there.
I don't understand the lack of people heading into that region more often for a fun time like you had with your 914 on that stretch of 41A. Was that Smoky ahead of you at the end? Nothing like being alone on the road like that. Easy to see where you aren't playing follow the leader.
Thanks.
Mike Cooley
Oakfield, TN.

I have another one that's even better coming up hwy 56 from Sherwood to Sewanee. Longer and twistier, but I wasn't as familiar with that road. PM me and I'll send you a CD with both, and some great water falls from the Fiery Gizzard.

Ed aka W9R1
fat73
Click to view attachment

Enjoy...

Ed aka W9R1

Thanks.
Mike Cooley
Oakfield, TN.

I won't say WHO was driving but 4th and 3rd gear most of the way up...The cars at the top were doing about 35 so you can guage from that.

The first turn on the bottom was between 90-100. Most of the way it was between 65-80+ or so but could have been much faster. The road was very familiar, but ya gotta be careful ya know.

That road down from Sewanee on hwy 56 to Sherwood is much longer and twister than this but it is one lane and can be very dangerous with one hair pin that's about 190 degrees. There are slide areas with no guard rails. I have a video of that road too but the video is too long to post. There is another road from Monteagle to Pelham which is also two-lane all the way with one big sweeping hair pin called horseshoe curve. There is another road hwy from Tracy City to Jasper on hwy 41, same thing but no huge curves. There is another road hwy 156 from Sewanee to South Pittsburgh. There is another road hwy 50 from Altamont to Pelham, etc...I won't name them all but there are at least 6 roads up there on Monteagle/Tracy City/Altamont area I know of like that with little traffic which means you can wait long enough that nobody's in front of you. If you mapqwest Sewanee Tn you will see all of the smaller roads. Most of those that run north / south in that area are like that. That whole area is mountainous (hillbilly mountains) at about 2200 ft. I can say that because I am one (a hillbilly).

For those of you who like hoofing it, in Tracy City there is the Fiery Gizzard which has a 17 mile hiking trail in Grundy National Forest. That's an awesome place which is like escaping into another world with Sycamore trees that it would take 4 adults to reach around and numerous water falls and cold water pools. Tracy City has kind of been stuck in a time warp since 1972, except for the methheads.

Ed

Oh yeah...and there's some beautiful gals up there too... piratenanner.gif

fat73
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(fat73 @ Apr 11 2007, 08:04 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Enjoy...

Ed aka W9R1

Thanks.
Mike Cooley
Oakfield, TN.

I won't say WHO was driving but 4th and 3rd gear most of the way up...The cars at the top were doing about 35 so you can guage from that.

The first turn on the bottom was between 90-100. Most of the way it was between 65-80+ or so but could have been much faster. The road was very familiar, but ya gotta be careful ya know.

That road down from Sewanee on hwy 56 to Sherwood is much longer and twister than this but it is one lane and can be very dangerous with one hair pin that's about 190 degrees. There are slide areas with no guard rails. I have a video of that road too but the video is too long to post. There is another road from Monteagle to Pelham which is also two-lane all the way with one big sweeping hair pin called horseshoe curve. There is another road hwy from Tracy City to Jasper on hwy 41, same thing but no huge curves. There is another road hwy 156 from Sewanee to South Pittsburgh. There is another road hwy 50 from Altamont to Pelham, etc...I won't name them all but there are at least 6 roads up there on Monteagle/Tracy City/Altamont area I know of like that with little traffic which means you can wait long enough that nobody's in front of you. If you mapqwest Sewanee Tn you will see all of the smaller roads. Most of those that run north / south in that area are like that. That whole area is mountainous (hillbilly mountains) at about 2200 ft. I can say that because I am one (a hillbilly).

For those of you who like hoofing it, in Tracy City there is the Fiery Gizzard which has a 17 mile hiking trail in Grundy National Forest. That's an awesome place which is like escaping into another world with Sycamore trees that it would take 4 adults to reach around and numerous water falls and cold water pools. Tracy City has kind of been stuck in a time warp since 1972, except for the methheads.

Ed

fat73
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(fat73 @ Apr 11 2007, 08:06 PM) *

Click to view attachment
QUOTE(fat73 @ Apr 11 2007, 08:04 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Enjoy...

Ed aka W9R1

Thanks.
Mike Cooley
Oakfield, TN.

Ed

And BIG Trees....
cooltimes
What tree? biggrin.gif
Great photos. Lots of great roads mentioned too. There needs to be a keeper file nested in here somewhere showing where the great twisties are all over the country so 914 owners out doing the roads hit a few while traveling around.
Thanks again for sharing Ed. I am out of the 914 rhealm now though since I just sold my 914 just over a week ago to Dr. 914. I was sad but think I should be glad.
I am slowing my life down a bit now at 71. I can still remember how I loved to drive a twisted road though and video's like yours showing a good driver on a good twisty road will keep me going.

Mike Cooley
Oakfield, TN (where the most twisted thing around is me).

PS I looked at the "punked" video thread by Perrine too. I thought it was cool so be sure and take a peek if you have a fast ISP connection.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.