Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Visual Inspection? Hydraulic Lifters? Noisy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I've just got this new to me 2ltr with some sort of rebuld in and running in my 914. The valves seem noiser than what I'm use to. I adjusted them to .006 ond .008 exhaust when the engine was cold before I dropped the motor in.

Now that it is running, I need to go back and re-adjust the valves. I must have the valves a bit loose (clanky) or could the PO have put in hydraulics and their not pumping up? I've read several threads on everyones preference on adjusting hydraulics, ranging from 1-2 turns after 0 lash...but they know they have hydraulics.

What is the easiest way to tell?
Ferg
Does the noise go away when warmed up? Usually the hydros get quieter after the motor warms up.

Ferg
computers4kids
QUOTE(Ferg @ Apr 11 2007, 01:24 PM) *

Does the noise go away when warmed up? Usually the hydros get quieter after the motor warms up.

Ferg

Doesn't appear too...I've only run it around the block an handful of times after the motor warmed-up and the CHT seems to never get higher than 325.

Matt Meyer
IIRC if you adjust hydraulic lifters using the solid lifter procedure/specifications the lifters will destroy themselves quickly.

If the hydraulic lifters have collapsed, and they will if they sit too long, then they will be very noisy.

I don't know how to tell if you have hydraulic lifters. Sorry.
TheCabinetmaker
Pull valve cover, pull one rocker section, remove one pushrod and tube, remove lifter and visually inspect for type of lifter. Put it all back together and readjust valves according to lifter type.
ahdoman
It may be too late for this but... If the engine has sat for awhile (possibly a day or two) try this;
1) Put any cylinder to TDC.
2) Loosen the tappet adjusting screw so that it barely touches the valve.
First test..
try to push on the PUSHROD end of the rocker arm. Does it compress? If so, you probably have Hydros.
Second test option... (this will work even if you have run the engine)
tighten up the tappet adjustment screw. If you turn it about 2 turns and it DOESN'T OPEN THE VALVE (compress the spring) then you may have hydros. DON'T GO MORE THAN 2 TURNS OR YOU MAY PUSH THE VALVE INTO THE PISTON IF IT IS AT FULL TDC!

There is also a visual difference in the thickness of the pushrods but if you haven't seen it before it's hard to tell. The Hydro pushrods are thinner.

Another thought...it may not be the valves your hearing. You might have an exhaust leak?
911quest
push rods are different aren't they?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.