Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: anyone using BBS 3pc mag center race wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
byndbad914
Anyone using these race wheels? I am considering buying the mag centers and wheel halves to make a custom set of 16x10 and 16x11.5 wheels for the beast (so I can run the small diam race slicks to lower the car more).

Anyone... anyone... Bueller...

Click to view attachment

I am concerned about any cracking issues or fatigue issues seen, or if they have been great wheels, etc...
SirAndy
hmmm, they look just like my 3-piece fikse ...
no track time yet, so can't really comment.

however, i have not heard anything negative ...
bye1.gif Andy

alpha434
Dave Harris, out here, runs them on his 8-conversion.

He's had them for ten years or so with no issues. And he runs BIG tires. Only guy I've ever met that might actually need bigger fender flares. But that's exactly what you need to hold 600 hp down with 0deg camber. Haha.
byndbad914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 11 2007, 08:41 PM) *

hmmm, they look just like my 3-piece fikse ...
no track time yet, so can't really comment.

however, i have not heard anything negative ...
bye1.gif Andy

Yeah, those Fikses are nice! I am looking at the BBS to stay 16" diam... my big concern is the mag centers. Magnesium tho' light also has weaker properties than aluminum and lower stress allowables in general, tho' I suspect those centers are an alloyed mag for sure and I dunno the props or how they cycle (fatigue).

The old cast mag stuff in the 70s of course cracked like crazy, but I suspect the new alloys and forming methods increase durability, but I fear that BBS may be assuming all racers using these will accept sacrificing longevity for weight.

They look bitchin' so that should be enough to sell me a set, right? laugh.gif
i love porsche
there was a racecar we had at my old shop that used those wheels, the centerlock version...it was a twin turbo 911...full carbon fiber body..serious race car, so im sure they are good wheels
machina
those wheels are awsome. i had BBS make me a set of 18x9 and 18x11 for my carrera S. you can call BBS motorsport, they are in GA.

i also had 3 sets of them on my WSR sport racer (13")

the centers are superlight and you can always change or replace an inner or outer rim half if you bend it or want to change offset or width.
byndbad914
QUOTE(machina @ Apr 12 2007, 09:24 PM) *

those wheels are awsome. i had BBS make me a set of 18x9 and 18x11 for my carrera S. you can call BBS motorsport, they are in GA.

i also had 3 sets of them on my WSR sport racer (13")

the centers are superlight and you can always change or replace an inner or outer rim half if you bend it or want to change offset or width.

cool, yeah I am searching around for quotes on them right now - apparently those wheels must be gold plated blink.gif biggrin.gif but I agree about the great feature that the halves can be swapped to change sizings. I am just hell-bent to be able to run those small diameter GT2 tires from Hoosier or Goodyear...

How light were your 18s? Where did you get yours from, BBS directly or a particular seller?
machina
call bill baker at BBS, (800) 422-7972

i liked the silver centers. the castings for the centers are actually kind of rough compared to the fine finish of the fikse or kinesis but the BBS is the grandad of all of them and most teams still run them. i don't remeber what the weight was on them but they were damn light, much lighter than the hollow spoke wheels from porsche.
sww914
Send them to me, I'll test them for you and provide you with a complete reliability and performance report after a couple of years.
J P Stein
I bought a set of 4 (10 X 16)of these off a guy on the Pelican a couple-3 years back.
1100 bucks.
The maker was named Monocoque....I say was as they are out of biddness.
They are light (11-12lbs) and have held up quite well.....I'm told they use BBS halves.
The halves are very soft....not for street.
I'd be leery of mag centers. I hear they are life-limited....but dunno the life.
Click to view attachment
byndbad914
Funny JP, those I the wheels I really wanted but couldn't find a set that I could modify (I would use the centers and get new halves to match the dims I want)! I dig how they look on the 914.

So the Kodiaks are on order now since Monocoque is indeed outta bidness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.