Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: do i have non o.e.m. springs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orange914
what thickness are stock springs? my rear springs measure 11 m.m. w/ red dabs of paint idea.gif
Andyrew
How many red dabs?

They were factory in SOME kind of 914.. but the factory spring pressures vary from like 60-110lbs..

What you can do, is take the spring out, get a tape measure, measure the length, and add weight till it compresses exactly 1 in. however much weight you added is the lbs of the spring.. Ie if it was 85 lbs you added for exactly 1 inch of decompression.. it would be an 85 lb spring....

Andrew
914Sixer
Red paint would indicate early springs. The later, better springs from the factory had 3 Green dots.
sk8kat1
didn't welt color code springs for a while?
Spoke
I have some springs from my 74 with the red paint. They measure 0.442 inch ( 11.2mm) in diameter. I guess I need to do the weight thing to measure the spring stiffness.

The left spring is 180LB, 0.479inch (12.2mm), the right is a stock spring 0.382inch (9.7mm).
orange914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 12 2007, 03:26 PM) *

I have some springs from my 74 with the red paint. They measure 0.442 inch ( 11.2mm) in diameter. I guess I need to do the weight thing to measure the spring stiffness.

The left spring is 180LB, 0.479inch (12.2mm), the right is a stock spring 0.382inch (9.7mm).

mine isnt a progressive wind like the one on the left and isnt "long" like the "stock" one on the right. (is that a rear)? confused24.gif it's wind and height are like the center and looks "newish". i wonder if its a light duty replacement?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.