Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rust Paranoia
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
Call me paranoid and/or responsible... i'm going out to Pocono Raceway this weekend for a two day DE event with PCA of NY. Unfortunately it's going to rain Sunday. I'm flat towing the car behind my Yukon.

This is the first time the car will have ever seen rain since I've owned it and i'm a little paranoid because of rust. There is some rust under the passenger side long. My car is also stripped, no rain tray, no collector by the front window and the seals are old as hell. I'm going to bring a roll of plastic sheeting for the drive back if it rains.

Drape some in the engine compartment to keep my setup dry, cover the drivers side window (since I don't have one) and I was thinking about trying to keep water off the passenger side longs.

Am I being paranoid? I know the things isn't going to rust away in a day. Really wish it didn't rain...

IPB Image

Someone tell me it's gonna be ok...
yarin
Ok problem solved.

The weather forecast changed from rain to snow at Pocono. So i'm gonna bail out Saturday after a full day of DE and head home.

The risk with DE is that its all prepaid. If the weather sucks for an entire weekend, u are out $350. I guess it all comes down to $$/thrill.
Crazyhippy
Drive it in the rain, snow, wahtever... just when you get home go through and dry the hell hole, as much of the long as possible, pretty much everything, inside outside, upside down... and it'll be fine.

It took 30 years of neglect to destroy these cars, one day of fun isn't going to hurt it.

BJH
TimT
I trailered my car for years on an open trailer.. this car also had no windows.. I just wrapped the seat with a big garbage bag when there was a threat of rain.

Ill be at Pocono this weekend instructing....we will be in the transporter in the url in my sig
highways
I'm not sure which side of the fence I'm on... yeah one day won't hurt it, but... My car has simular issues. It's in pretty good shape, but the hell hole was getting cancerous. The bad day was when the suspension console broke due to internal rust. I'm going through the whole car now, welding, patching, rust preventing every little thing I find. The problem is the really hidden little nooks and crannies. I thought I had the car pretty well sealed up a month ago ahead of some rain. But afterwards I found an enclosed box to the left of the pedal cluster was full, I mean 7 inches full of water. I still haven't figured out how the water got in there. And I wouldn't have noticed the water if I wasn't going nuts crawling around with flashlights and mirrors. Long story short- there was only a 2" diameter hole providing access into this cavity and the only way to remove the water was with an air hose. So I guess I am getting a bit paranoid- about the places that I don't know that I don't know get wet.
yarin
Thanks for the advice guys, glad to hear i'm not the only one a little paranoid about getting water into troubled areas.

At the end of the season i'm going to take my car up to Chris Foley's shop and have him take a look at what i've got.

Tim what are you driving this weekend?

I remember taking the pic on your website of that white 914 6.

My brother cancelled the hotel reservation for saturday night, we're going to leave after a full day on Saturday.

Can't wait to get back on the track again! It's going to be a cold one!
r_towle
remove all the carpets, and have some fun.

Its simple to see all the water in these cars with no carpet...shop vac it out..
I put the rain tray in for rain, and take it out for the rest of the time.
Its better than sucking loads of water into the intake.
Rich
yarin
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 13 2007, 11:13 AM) *

Its simple to see all the water in these cars with no carpet...shop vac it out..
Rich

No carpets. The only absorbant material in the entire car is the seats.

Rain tray won't fit because of the roll cage.

rmital
QUOTE(yarin @ Apr 13 2007, 11:10 AM) *

hopefully next Sunday at the MeadowLands will be a Spring day....10 day forcast shows 60 degrees. I'll check back later next week to see if your going.
yarin
QUOTE(rmital @ Apr 13 2007, 11:39 AM) *

QUOTE(yarin @ Apr 13 2007, 11:10 AM) *

hopefully next Sunday at the MeadowLands will be a Spring day....10 day forcast shows 60 degrees. I'll check back later next week to see if your going.

April 22nd... i'm there! Assuming it doesn't rain or snow. It snowed a few times this past Sunday at the meadowlands.
r_towle
QUOTE(yarin @ Apr 13 2007, 11:35 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 13 2007, 11:13 AM) *

Rich

No carpets. The only absorbant material in the entire car is the seats.

Rain tray won't fit because of the roll cage.

Just run it, it will be fine.
Really, its just water.

On the intake, devise a way to divert water that could be coming in from above, rain hats on carbs are available here for just that purpose, or for the FI, just use the stock air fliter setup, yet turn the intake hose down so it wont hold water...

Water wont harm the engine internals in small amounts, as a matter of fact it will clean the engine by becoming steam.
Large amounts is not good.

Lots of race cars run in the rain...

As far as the potential rust goes, on the under side of the long there are weep holes to allow the water to drip out.
Look for these at the seam of the underside of the long, and clean them out with a coat hanger.

I would even consider drilling a few holes 1/2 inch or larger to make sure that it drains...and you should be fine.

If you trailer it, cover the intake with a plastic bag while driving.
If you drive it, wear rubber pants, cause all the drips will be on your left leg.

Rich
TimT
I wont have my 914 or my 911...when I was teching my 914, I found my rear rotors were both cracked..and didn't have time to get replacements. And my 911 isn't ready for prime time just yet

Ill probably drive the 935 for a bit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.