Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Question for BMW owners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GTeener
I have a 2000 540iT with 91+K miles.

Found out this week that the awful sound I've been hearing is u-joint failure and requires the whole driveshaft to be replaced (the reasoning being, the other joints are worn too and replacing the joints would also mean balancing the driveshaft, therefore, it is more 'economical' to just replace the driveshaft with a new and balanced one).

Anyone else experienced this?
This is my 1st BMW. How common is this in these cars?
Cap'n Krusty
Common. They're NOT locally rebuildable. I have 3 good aftermarket sources, all wholesale to the trade only. PM me and I'll see what I can do for you. The Cap'n
GTeener
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 12 2007, 10:30 AM) *

Common. They're NOT locally rebuildable. I have 3 good aftermarket sources, all wholesale to the trade only. PM me and I'll see what I can do for you. The Cap'n

Thanks for the offer.

The shop doing the work already ordered the driveshaft and is working on my car. I needed new rear brakes and rotars too and had a power steering fluid leak dry.gif
jasons
Whats the sound? I have a 98 540i Sport. I want to keep my ears open for this...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 12 2007, 10:51 AM) *

Whats the sound? I have a 98 540i Sport. I want to keep my ears open for this...

Sounds like you're dragging a midget under your car, and everytime you accelerate he repeatedly whacks on your floor with a BFH ..................... The Cap'n
Kargeek
Been there - done that.

The factory u- joints are not servicable, the shaft is two piece with a center support bearning and there is a rubber glubo joint at the connection at the trans.

Some aftermarket sources replace the u-joints with serviceable zirk grease fittings.

Everything is replaced and balanced with a new/ remanufactured drive shaft.

Sounds like your center bearing support has gone bad...

I have purchased from these guys:

http://www.driveshafts.com/pages/bmw.html

DH

rick 918-S
Well mine is much older than yours. I have a 1995 525I T Auto trans. I also have 160,000 + with no issues.
jasons
I had an e46 328i that had the center bearing take a crap so I know what thats like.
GTeener
QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 12 2007, 10:51 AM) *

Mine sounded like a loose metal hubcap rattling loudly and sometime like something metallic getting plinked by a spinning fan but it only happened when I stepped on the throttle or brake.
GTeener
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 12 2007, 12:06 PM) *

Well mine is much older than yours. I have a 1995 525I T Auto trans. I also have 160,000 + with no issues.

Mine has an automatic transmission too. I think the 2000 was a 'new' re-engineered model. Guess your previous model was better dry.gif

I bought it used with 27+K miles on it and I have had lots of annoyances with this car, despite its fun driveability and added utility. My brake lights keep blowing, I was getting phantom check fog lights messages for a long time, the radiator broke, the hatch release mechanism broke and it keeps throwing codes 028, 029 & 08 I've been told these are fuel trim issues) which results in the car suddenly turning itself off.
pbanders
I have a '98 M3. My experience with BMW's is that the main mechanicals of the engine are very reliable and perform magnificently. It's the rest of the stuff that drives you insane. My car has had two tranny's and a $1K repair for the "sticky 5th" problem. EVERY BMW needs to have the entire cooling system replaced at about 75K miles due to plastic component failures and/or water pump failures. Window regulators, door locks. emissions components, SRS sensors, etc. , etc., all fail long before they should.

So, why buy them? Because they're like most other German cars, they have soul and the driving experience is unparalleled. You can buy a Lexus, Honda, Toyota, etc., you may find it rewarding, but for me, they're just not the same, though in exchange, you get a vehicle that's actually engineered for reliability.
rick 918-S
Ya why buy one? Because they don't call them the ultimate driving machine for nothing. Since I bought this one. (one of many) I replaced the front struts, the -30 deg weather killed my starter. And I made the mistake of lifting the rear gate at -30 deg and the gate shocks lost their gas charge. Otherwise I drive it. Hard. I just did a 460 mile non stop drive Sunday and returned non stop on Monday. Drive it like you stole it! driving.gif Oh BTW that was 460 miles on 16 gal of gas = 28.75 mpg at 75 to 85 MPH.
PinetreePorsche
Gotta ask (it IS a Q for BMW owners, after all):
Why DO men like BMWs?
GTeener
Why can't I have both durability and performance? Or is that an oxymoron? idea.gif

Wish I wasn't addicted to performance cars wub.gif
GTeener
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 12 2007, 04:43 PM) *

Ya why buy one? Because they don't call them the ultimate driving machine for nothing. ... I drive it Hard. I just did a 460 mile non stop drive Sunday and returned non stop on Monday. Drive it like you stole it! driving.gif Oh BTW that was 460 miles on 16 gal of gas = 28.75 mpg at 75 to 85 MPH.

I shoulda gone with the 6-cyl or did you do something to increase the fuel economy? My 8-cyl doesn't do as well, but I do have a lead foot.. driving-girl.gif
jasons
QUOTE(GTeener @ Apr 12 2007, 05:01 PM) *

Oh BTW that was 460 miles on 16 gal of gas = 28.75 mpg at 75 to 85 MPH.

I shoulda gone with the 6-cyl or did you do something to increase the fuel economy? My 8-cyl doesn't do as well, but I do have a lead foot.. driving-girl.gif

That 300hp V8 eats gas. I had a 94 525 and it probably got 10 mpg better than my 540i. However, I think I will take the V8 w00t.gif
GTeener
thumb3d.gif
QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 12 2007, 06:04 PM) *

That 300hp V8 eats gas. I had a 94 525 and it probably got 10 mpg better than my 540i. However, I think I will take the V8 w00t.gif

She's a go'er alright driving-girl.gif

Luckily since I changed companies in January, my commute is 2/3rds shorter thumb3d.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 12 2007, 05:04 PM) *

Ya the 8's suck it. The 2.5 6's are good for milage but light on off the line performance.
jasons
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 12 2007, 07:38 PM) *

Ya the 8's suck it. The 2.5 6's are good for milage but light on off the line performance.

The 2.5 6 is a great motor though.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.