Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Yeller
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dobbs
Can anyone can identify these yellow springs for me?

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(dobbs @ Apr 12 2007, 06:14 PM) *

Can anyone can identify these yellow springs for me?

don't know about the springs, but the shocks look like KYB ...

throw 'em as far as you can, preferably in the general direction of someone you don't like.
beerchug.gif Andy
914Sixer
My 100 lb springs are orange. Andy is right about the KYB shocks. You should be able to vibrate your teeth on every tar strip in the road.
rjames
There are worse shocks than KYBs. Ok, not by much... but either way he wasn't asking for commentary on 'em...

How about a welcome.png instead? beer.gif

dobbs
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 12 2007, 10:34 PM) *

There are worse shocks than KYBs. Ok, not by much... but either way he wasn't asking for commentary on 'em...

How about a welcome.png instead? beer.gif

SHE was just asking about the springs.

thanks for the welcome biggrin.gif

tabby
SirAndy
QUOTE(dobbs @ Apr 12 2007, 07:42 PM) *

SHE was just asking about the springs.

thanks for the welcome biggrin.gif

tabby

sorry about that ...
i've been fighting a nasty cold for the last two days and didn't look at the post count.

so here it is, late, but not too late ... welcome.png

still dunno about the springs tho, so back to my chicken soup it is ...
chowtime.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
it could be A N Y spring as far as we know. if it is labeled as to what its springrate it... then you have a few choiced if you want to find out.

you can pull em, and stack weight on em till they deflect em 1". (measured in lbs per inch springrate)

there are also springrate calcs. count the coils, measure the diameter and plug into a formula.
r_towle
my yellow springs are what was sold to me as 180lb weltmeister springs.

these are now 6 years old and they are what PP was selling at the time.

Rich
dobbs
Thanks! I was trying to find out what the springrate was. The KYBs have to come out anyway.
skline
Rich is right, they are most likely 180 pounders, all of the ones I have seen that were yellow, were 180's. Welcome to the club
gregrobbins
I thought you ment the real Old Yeller. biggrin.gif
messix
cool another greasey girl. [ment as a good thing] beerchug.gif

you join the ranks of jenny, racer girl, gwen [aka gteener] and turtle girl.

oh not to forget my dream girl...... shelby aka "flat out"
PinetreePorsche
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Apr 13 2007, 11:49 PM) *

I thought you ment the real Old Yeller. biggrin.gif

OK, Greg--you gotta tell us (or that portion who don't know you well) what that yellow thing is--not a 914, unless the exh. header assembly is a fake.
messix
back in the sixties that car that was built in a garage from spare parts beat up on the big boys in sport car racing
EdwardBlume
OMG - Its chitty chitty bang bang !! j/k biggrin.gif
Howard
Heh! Managed to beat the Ferraris, Porsches, Maser's and Jags. 455ci Buick. One ugly car. These were taken the week before WCC 05 at Paramount ranch. Google Max Balchowsky (sp).

And welcome.png

jimtab
Yup, built by Max and his Wife...very successful racing...everyone said it shouldn't work but it did....and to paraphrase...Ugly is as ugly does....
gregrobbins
50s, not 60s. He was a damn good driver and also got some hot shoes like Carroll Shelby and Dan Gurney to run it from time to time. A lot of the body work was made from signs, business and road, that he welded and hammered into shape. Everything about it looks wrong, but it was fast and won a lot of races.

There were reports that Buick sent him "test" motors for the car. But most of the parts came from junk yards and part cars.

What's it got to do with 914s. Nothing. It was called Ol Yeller like the title of this post.

If you want to know more about this interesting car, check out this LINK.
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment...and a #2 and #3 at the Monterey Historics.
Marty
SLITS
Ultimate KOOL ................ "It couldn't be done, but they did it anyway"

Now, set the "wayback" machine for "The Red Barron". biggrin.gif
drewvw
one of my dad's buddies had one when I was growing up in new york. I remember seeing it a few times and then he sold it to somebody else.

I am pretty sure it was VII, based on its history in the area and from what i remember. The pic is from Tam's Old Race Car Site, watkins glen 1963.
dobbs
uh guys.....I only wanted to know about the springs....

biggrin.gif

neat looking car though.

tabby
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.