Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 Restoration Work--Who and How Much?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
2pointOH
Hi all--just took delivery of an incredible 914-6 this past week. Previous owner has babied and taken care of the car the last 20 years. Previous multiple Parade Concours Best of Class winner. Need a few things addressed to bring her back to Concours level and would like recommendations on a one stop shop (or person with shop willing to work with me to do the work) near Columbus, Ohio. I would love to learn how to do this work but don't have the facility, tools and expereince to do it right. Here's what I looking to do:

1) rechrome back bumper
2) touch up small paint cracks on rear valence
3) repair minor paint bubbles and respray on rear trunk lid
4) strip, seal and restore mufflers/heat exchangers to original primer gray look
5) paint rear shocks to match original glossy gray look (correct??)
6) strip and recontact cement basketweave coming loose on dash panels (easy right??)
7) freshen up all guage faces to new (unless this deters from value or concours--they have a slight yellow cast to them)
8) clean up and respray wheel wells to body color (correct?)
9) clean up engine bay and top end of motor and housing (need to pull engine to do this or not??)

Let me know your thoughts on expected costs and trustworthy shops here. I'll shoot some pix this weekend when the weather is better!!!

Thanks--John
Gint
I don't have much experience with P-car shops in Ohio, but let be be the first to say congratulations.

And...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

911quest
John welcome and congrats all of the things on the list you could accomplish by yourself very minor things you will have farm out some of the work like the chrome and the sandblasting of the muffler but you could accomplish all of this in a small garage.

Best of luck
rwjames
John,

Congratulations on you new Six. Sounds like you have a few detailing jobs to do, but it will be worth it in the end.

Did this 914-6 come from Colorado?

Rich
2pointOH
QUOTE(rwjames @ Apr 12 2007, 07:24 PM) *

John,

Congratulations on you new Six. Sounds like you have a few detailing jobs to do, but it will be worth it in the end.

Rich

Rich--yes it did come from Colorado--Ouray to be exact. Dave Olson was the previous owner of the car. He was kind enough to trailer the car out to me on his way to Florida this past Tuesday. Really an amazing car. If I can move ahead on a few small details the car looks essentially brand new.

Do you know Dave or the car??

John
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

John :

Autobahn Garage
642 Rockwell Ave Bld #2
Findlay Ohio 45840
Phone 419-957-7210
Owner Tab Tanner
E-mail carmantab@yahoo.com

He is a great ,reasonable ,knows Porsche frontwards and back. I have used him for my 914, for4yrs. he just does Porsche,BMW,Mercedes Benz,Audi.
He can handle everthing you listed. Dave slap.gif
2pointOH
QUOTE(BarberDave @ Apr 13 2007, 02:43 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

John :

Autobahn Garage
642 Rockwell Ave Bld #2
Findlay Ohio 45840
Phone 419-957-7210
Owner Tab Tanner
E-mail carmantab@yahoo.com

He is a great ,reasonable ,knows Porsche frontwards and back. I have used him for my 914, for4yrs. he just does Porsche,BMW,Mercedes Benz,Audi.
He can handle everthing you listed. Dave slap.gif

Thanks for the lead Dave!!

John
rwjames
QUOTE(2pointOH @ Apr 12 2007, 11:42 PM) *

QUOTE(rwjames @ Apr 12 2007, 07:24 PM) *

John,

Rich

Rich--yes it did come from Colorado--Ouray to be exact. Dave Olson was the previous owner of the car. He was kind enough to trailer the car out to me on his way to Florida this past Tuesday. Really an amazing car. If I can move ahead on a few small details the car looks essentially brand new.

Do you know Dave or the car??

John

John,

I was trying to get out to Colorado to look at the car and couldn't make it happen. When it didn't meet reserve, I was talking with Dave and you finally purchased the car before I could work out the details. He said he could have delivered on his way to FL so that worked out great for you.

I was also considering buying his LE car, but decided I need to keep searching for a nice six. I would love to have the LE, but just don't have the space right now and I need to buy a six while I can still afford it.

From what I could tell, it looks like you got a nice six. Enjoy it and post some pictures when you get a chance.

Rich

jfort
I second Tab Tanner in Findlay, Ohio
vanaman
your name sounds familiar.

i know auto assets in powell does work on porsche's
The owner even has 2 realy nice ones in his collection.

if you ever need help im availvalble. but i might require a ride. smile.gif

steve
2pointOH
QUOTE(vanaman @ Apr 13 2007, 05:50 PM) *

your name sounds familiar.

i know auto assets in powell does work on porsche's
The owner even has 2 realy nice ones in his collection.

if you ever need help im availvalble. but i might require a ride. smile.gif

steve

Thanks Steve--do you have your own shop?

John
vanaman
naw im a newbie to the auto indusry. i just work at NTB.

steve
2pointOH
QUOTE(Gint @ Apr 12 2007, 07:09 PM) *

I don't have much experience with P-car shops in Ohio, but let be be the first to say congratulations.

And...

Here's a batch of pix from the previous owner before I clean her up and make a couple of small repairs. Let me know your thoughts and feelings on value (please don't ask what I paid!! I was high bidder on eBay at $26,500 and pretty far away from the reserve). More pix to follow......

Enjoy!!

John
2pointOH
QUOTE(2pointOH @ Apr 15 2007, 10:23 AM) *

And...

Here's a batch of pix from the previous owner before I clean her up and make a couple of small repairs. Let me know your thoughts and feelings on value (please don't ask what I paid!! I was high bidder on eBay at $26,500 and pretty far away from the reserve). More pix to follow......

Enjoy!!

John

More pix for you...John

2pointOH
QUOTE(2pointOH @ Apr 15 2007, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(2pointOH @ Apr 15 2007, 10:23 AM) *

And...

Enjoy!!

John

More pix for you...John

And a few more......John
vanaman
wow. that looks absolutely perfect.

steve
bd1308
Replace those fuses, theyre probably original
Justinp71
Nice... aktion035.gif
rwjames
It looks like a beautiful car and not many in that condition for sale. His reserve was about $2K higher than I was willing to go and I was reluctant to buy a car sight unseen, but it looks like you got a nice one. It sounds like it was really in the condition he claimed.

Nice buy! I'm jealous!

Thanks for the photo's.

Rich

aktion035.gif
autohausdolby
That looks lovely!
tanner
Just an update guy's,
I picked the 914/6 up today around 1:30pm and trailerd it back to my shop Autobahn Garage in Findlay Ohio. John is a very nice person, It was great to meet him face to face and talk about the direction that he want's the project to go. As if you cannot tell in the pictures this is one NICE 914/6!!! It needs a few things but it's 30 plus years old, they all need a little work now and then. That beenig said I plan to start the project in the next few days and give John a list of the things I think need to be looked at and repaired or replaced to make this car all it can be.

If there is anyone in the area that would like to stop by and have a look (but not touch) chair.gif at Very nice 914/6 do so. I will keep you guy's updated as I move foward on it. Oh I forgot to mention Autobahn Garage is located at 642 rockwell ave in Findlay Ohio 419-957-7210 call me or just stop by. John's pride and joy is setting next to a dozen or so Porsches in the shop.

Tab Tanner wavey.gif
2pointOH
QUOTE(tanner @ Apr 17 2007, 09:20 PM) *

Just an update guy's,
I picked the 914/6 up today around 1:30pm and trailerd it back to my shop Autobahn Garage in Findlay Ohio. John is a very nice person, It was great to meet him face to face and talk about the direction that he want's the project to go. As if you cannot tell in the pictures this is one NICE 914/6!!! It needs a few things but it's 30 plus years old, they all need a little work now and then. That beenig said I plan to start the project in the next few days and give John a list of the things I think need to be looked at and repaired or replaced to make this car all it can be.

If there is anyone in the area that would like to stop by and have a look (but not touch) chair.gif at Very nice 914/6 do so. I will keep you guy's updated as I move foward on it. Oh I forgot to mention Autobahn Garage is located at 642 rockwell ave in Findlay Ohio 419-957-7210 call me or just stop by. John's pride and joy is setting next to a dozen or so Porsches in the shop.

Tab Tanner wavey.gif

Thanks for the kind words Tab. Please feel free to provide access to any Teeners that need reference on a 6. Looking forward to starting on a few priority projects with you!!

JG
2pointOH
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(2pointOH @ Apr 20 2007, 05:58 AM) *

QUOTE(tanner @ Apr 17 2007, 09:20 PM) *

Just an update guy's,

Tab Tanner wavey.gif

Thanks for the kind words Tab. Please feel free to provide access to any Teeners that need reference on a 6. Looking forward to starting on a few priority projects with you!!

JG

Looking to get Tab's outline and estimate's in the next day or so then we will target a few small projects so I can drive the car some time in May. I'll ask him to document before/progress/after shots and post on this site.

Also getting the '76 2.0 back on the road this weekend after getting the rear wheel straightened out--great ride and handling with the Forgeline 17's (running Toyo Proxes 205/40R 17's on them) but one good chuck hole or curb and it's another $100-250 to straighten out the wheel and often replacing the tire!!!

Here's what the 4 looks like when she's not sick!!

Enjoy!!

JG

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.