Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Name These Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bigkensteele
Quick story of origin. My cousin bought an old Beetle cab a few years back that had been converted to Porsche 5 lug. The fronts were a disc kit, and the rears were drilled drums. However, these rear brakes came with the car, and he gave them to me. He has no idea what kind of car they came from, and neither do I.

- Bolt spacing is same as Porsche 5 lug
- Calipers are ATE, 3.75" spacing, single piston, no PN found
- Hubs are 12 spline stamped Germany SHW 477 501 605
- Backing plates are stampted with a similar 477 xxx xxx number
- Parking brake assembly similar to 911 inside disc
- Spacing on 4 mount holes is 3.5" diagonal
- Discs are vented, 11 3/8 (290mm)

Given the design of the caliper, these appear to be old, like sixties old.

Pics:
bigkensteele
I know:

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

I am still trying to get decent pics that are small enough to attach.
bigkensteele
Pics as promised.
boxstr
Appear to be BMW brakes/calipers.
CCLIN914NATION
Eric_Shea
Porsche 924 hub and backing plates. Probably a 924 or 944 (or even 911) rotor, hard to tell.
Eric_Shea
Single piston floating calipers would be 80's not 60's BTW... I would guess Rabbit or some other varient. I've never seen single piston BMW calipers so I'll defer to Craig on that one.
911quest
[They are not Rabbit brakes I'am think they are possible the old Audi "RING brakes" they used in the early to mid 80's but like most beetle disc brakes they are a mixed match of Brazialian and Mexican parts off of god know's what
bigkensteele
I should have mentioned that none of the parts have a logo on them. I have owned VWs, BMWs, Porsches and an Audi, and as I recall parts on all of these cars had a logo or emblem stamped somewhere.

A couple of years ago, I called a few dealerships to see if they could back-reference the part numbers, and they couldn't. However, the VW, Porsche, and (I think BMW) guys all said that a 477 part number did not sound familiar. Don't recall if I called Mercedes, but again, I would assume that they would stamp most of their parts with the logo at least.

I think that VW is out, because I can't think of any VW that would have had rear vented discs with rotors that large.

Not sure who else shared the same lug spacing as Porsche, but my old Audi A4 looked a lot tighter than Porsche spacing.

Thanks for all replies,
Ken
Eric_Shea
924's have the 477.501.xxx sequence. So again, probably 924/early 944 stuff. Most 924's were 4-bolt with drum rears (477.501.615A) but some were the 5-lug. That's my guess.
Matt Romanowski
Try Toyota....

I think all the 924 have 4 lug. Only the 924S is five lug. 924S calipers are 944 part numbers and early 924 parts are also 944 part numbers. The lines / wheel cyclinders are 477 numbers.
JWest
davep
r_towle
Seeing as the 944 independant rear suspension tube, bars, plates, and arms are all the same parts as a super beetle, I would vote that those are from a 944, and should bolt right on pretty easy.

The entire suspension from the super beetle rear was copied for the 944.
I am sure some dimensions on the brakes are different, but the tubes, trailing arms, and control arms are a simple bolt on switch.

Rich
bigkensteele
James, thanks for the link. Looking at the parts diagram, it would seem that these are indeed 944 brakes. That makes you, Eric and Dave the winners, or biggest nerds, depending on how you want to look at it.

NOW, the real question. Has anyone ever used 944 rears on a 914 to get the vented rotor and floating caliper???
r_towle
I think its possible, but not so easy.

If you decide to sell them, I would buy the setup for another project (SB) that I have.

Rich
Tobra
looks to me like it is embossed Germany BMW

If it is a Super Beetle, I would almost guarantee they are 944 brakes without even looking at them.
davep
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 13 2007, 06:54 AM) *

NOW, the real question. Has anyone ever used 944 rears on a 914 to get the vented rotor and floating caliper???

Why? The vented brake setup that Eric and I sell is simple, easy, uses mostly stock components and pretty much bolts right up. It even keeps the stock parking brake.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 13 2007, 07:43 AM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 13 2007, 06:54 AM) *

Why? The vented brake setup that Eric and I sell is simple, easy, uses mostly stock components and pretty much bolts right up. It even keeps the stock parking brake.

How thick are the hub spaces in the kits (how much closer will my tire be to my fender lip)? Looks like about 1/4". Does this require longer studs? Would it be feasible to machine the same amount off the caliper mounting tabs?
Eric_Shea
5mm or "basically" 1/4".

You mentioned getting hubs, I have 45 and 50mm studs in stock.

You can easily pull your fenders out "by hand" 1/4". Machining the caliper mounting tabs would not be my first choice...
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 13 2007, 09:24 AM) *

5mm or "basically" 1/4".

You mentioned getting hubs, I have 45 and 50mm studs in stock.

You can easily pull your fenders out "by hand" 1/4". Machining the caliper mounting tabs would not be my first choice...

The reason I ask is that I have a lot of room in my fenders with 205/50/15s on my 5.5"s. I am hoping that I will be able to go with 15x7s without too much fender work. Don't know if 5mm will make that much difference in the end.

Of course I could try to find 5 other people who want flares...

Thanks, Eric. You will be getting some of my money soon.

Ken
type47
QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Apr 13 2007, 04:50 AM) *

Try Toyota....

I think all the 924 have 4 lug. Only the 924S is five lug. 924S calipers are 944 part numbers and early 924 parts are also 944 part numbers. The lines / wheel cyclinders are 477 numbers.

924 turbo had 5 lugs.
914forme
944 parts Direct bolt on to a beatle rear arm.

"Single piston floating calipers would be 80's not 60's BTW... I would guess Rabbit or some other varient. I've never seen single piston BMW calipers so I'll defer to Craig on that one."

E36 M3 has single piston front brakes BTW.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.