Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canton fuel filter
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
spunone
I have a fuel filter before my pump and going to have another in the engine bay. Can I run it after the Regulator or should it be in front or does it matter ??
machina
QUOTE(spunone @ Apr 13 2007, 01:20 PM) *

I have a fuel filter before my pump and going to have another in the engine bay. Can I run it after the Regulator or should it be in front or does it matter ??

i have a canton up front with the fuel cel before the pump and another canton in the engine bay before the regulator.
spunone
Ok but can I have the filter after the regulator??? or will it screw with the pressure?
machina
QUOTE(spunone @ Apr 13 2007, 01:24 PM) *

Ok but can I have the filter after the regulator??? or will it screw with the pressure?

i don't think the cantons are restrictive unless they got really clogged for some reason.
spunone
I kind of have the same set up in the engine area cept my Regs where your filter is and my filter is where your reg is. clap56.gif
spunone
Heh David I noticed your throttle is mounted from the back Hows that work for you ??
machina
QUOTE(spunone @ Apr 13 2007, 01:32 PM) *

Heh David I noticed your throttle is mounted from the back Hows that work for you ??

cleans up the front of the motor and the large radius curve on the cable is very smooth. i made this bracket that attaches to the case.
spunone
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif anyone else wanna chime in here
spunone
Ok I promise last icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif headbang.gif
Matt Meyer
I'll pipe in with no practical experince with Canton.

The whole point to the fuel regulator is to control the pressure at the jet or injector so it should be as close to said jet/injector as possible ensuring consistant fuel flow.

At the same flow rate the differential pressure will increase across your fuel filter as it loads. The differential pressure can be maintained constant by lowering the flow.

If you place the regulator before the filter it will ensure the pressure into the filter is constant. The pressure after the filter is relatively constant. So as the filter loads your fuel flow rate will decrease.
spunone
Thanks Matt make sense looks like it's time to re plumb headbang.gif
spunone
But wait I thought the cleanest fuel to the carbs in case a diaphram take a dump in the regulator carbs are still good to go.Also why do people plumb the small inline filters before the carbs after the REG ? JUST THINKIN OUT LOUD LOL headbang.gif
Twystd1
Paul... You can go either way on my opinion. The Canton filters won't restrict flow... PERIOD. You can't run enough fuel through YOUR engine to impact flow from a Canton filter.

I also don't think the filter will filter any better or worse with 2.5 - 3.5 LBS of fuel pressure or 50Lbs of fuel pressure. I can't see where that could make any difference.

If you are going to run the filter after the regulator.

I suggest you put the fuel pressure gauge AFTER the filter and before the carb in your case. NOT on the regulator. If you want the most accurate readings. At least do it this way through break in....
I am not worried about the filter restricting anything. It's the fittings and hose you might have to deal with as far as volume/pressure differentials.

If it looks good after testing... then throw the gauge back on the regulator... DONE.!!

Typically I would do it like the other posters above. Filter before the pump and one before the regulator.

I just don't see the harm in your setup. I.E. Filter, pump, regulator, filter, carbs..... For your engine.

This is my opinion anyway......

Fuggit.... Giterdone.....

Clayton
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.