Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steel Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
Are stock 914 steel wheels good for autocrossing, and can anyone tell be the widest tire I can put on the rims. I would like to start autocrossing next season. I know weight is an issue but I can't autocross with my Rivera’s. Thanks Mike
r_towle
stock steel wheels a fine for autocross.
The wont crack like aluminum.

they do weigh more...but that will not bother you in your first season.

You can also (from Jbugs) get steel wheels that are wider than stock, and for a pretty decent price.

Stock steel is 5.5 inches wide.

Rich
xperu
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 13 2007, 04:57 PM) *

stock steel wheels a fine for autocross.
The wont crack like aluminum.

they do weigh more...but that will not bother you in your first season.

You can also (from Jbugs) get steel wheels that are wider than stock, and for a pretty decent price.

Stock steel is 5.5 inches wide.

Rich

Thanks Rich, thanks a lot I'll start looking. Mike
Chris Pincetich
Next season???! Why not next weekend? beerchug.gif
Seriously, show up with an old beater 914 1.7 and be amazed that you are turning times as fast as the soccer mom in the new Boxter S and faster than the lawyer in the polished 928. A 205/50 tire should fit on the rim, but might rub a little on the car. I've been happy wiht my 195/50s, even though it makes for 4k rpm on the freeway.
Tobra
Go drive it.

I took mine out to an autocross right after I got it, beat a GT3 on the first day I drove on a course.

It is what they were made for...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.