Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how about Kodiak and CCW wheels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
byndbad914
Does anyone have much experience with Kodiak or CCW wheels? They too offer wheels in the dims I want (the BBS post I put out earlier)... the CCWs were heavier (around 18#-20# he said) whereas the same size Kodiak was much lighter (12#-14#) according to their quote. Both are priced essentially the same so $ isn't the driver in the choice, longevity is.

If the Kodiaks are as good as or better than CCWs I will most certainly take the lighter wheel... but anyone's experiences are appreciated.
Solo914
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Apr 13 2007, 03:07 PM) *

Does anyone have much experience with Kodiak or CCW wheels? They too offer wheels in the dims I want (the BBS post I put out earlier)... the CCWs were heavier (around 18#-20# he said) whereas the same size Kodiak was much lighter (12#-14#) according to their quote. Both are priced essentially the same so $ isn't the driver in the choice, longevity is.

If the Kodiaks are as good as or better than CCWs I will most certainly take the lighter wheel... but anyone's experiences are appreciated.

I had a couple friends buy some Kodiaks, there were couple of issues with the actual build time(they took alot longer then predicted) and one of them had an issue with them building 2 of the wheels to the wrong offset. All in all, they were happy and they are very high quality, but you may have to deal with a longer wait or some other issue.

Kyle
Aaron Cox
CCW wheels look bitchin smile.gif

alot of guys over at Pelican have run CCW wheels.
JPB
Rod a local east coaster has Kodiac wheels and they look bitching with his flat black 914 and flares. I was thingking of getting some after seeing them for real. beer.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(JPB @ Apr 29 2007, 06:16 PM) *

Rod a local east coaster has Kodiac wheels and they look bitching with his flat black 914 and flares. I was thingking of getting some after seeing them for real. beer.gif

Nice, I just ordered mine a couple days ago with the black center. 6-8wks to ship so no instant gratification of any sort with that one! I have long studs on order and need to get some slicks on the way... I think it will look bitchin' on the semi-flat 914 with polished rim halves - I like just a few "chrome" accents with semi-flat to break it up so I am looking forward to having them on the car.
jhadler
Kodiak makes some really nice wheels, but they have delivery problems right now. I know of a couple people who ordered MONTHS ago, and have yet to get anything. And I also know of someone who wound up with fitment issues after recieving his wheels (not built to spec). It was for a DSR, so spacers and stuff were not an option, really messed with the begining of his season.

If CCW or Fikse are the same price, I might think of going with them. CCW makes some really great wheels.

-Josh2
byndbad914
QUOTE(jhadler @ Apr 30 2007, 10:40 AM) *

Kodiak makes some really nice wheels, but they have delivery problems right now. I know of a couple people who ordered MONTHS ago, and have yet to get anything. And I also know of someone who wound up with fitment issues after recieving his wheels (not built to spec). It was for a DSR, so spacers and stuff were not an option, really messed with the begining of his season.

If CCW or Fikse are the same price, I might think of going with them. CCW makes some really great wheels.

-Josh2

Thanks for the heads-up Josh. Fortunately I don't have to have the wheels, just want the wheels so I have some time to deal with stuff. Hopefully they don't F up the specs tho', that would suck to have to do the whole send back/reship thing from a PITA standpoint.

Fikses are at least $1K more. The CCWs were same price but 5lbs heavier per wheel apparently so I went with Kodiak for that reason. I have a lot of sprung weight on the car (that I will be taking off some of over time and $$) but really want to keep unsprung weight down if at all possible.

Fingers crossed....
jhadler
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Apr 30 2007, 11:31 AM) *

Thanks for the heads-up Josh. Fortunately I don't have to have the wheels, just want the wheels so I have some time to deal with stuff. Hopefully they don't F up the specs tho', that would suck to have to do the whole send back/reship thing from a PITA standpoint.

Yeah, that would suck. I hope that doesn't happen.

Fikses are at least $1K more. The CCWs were same price but 5lbs heavier per wheel apparently so I went with Kodiak for that reason. I have a lot of sprung weight on the car (that I will be taking off some of over time and $$) but really want to keep unsprung weight down if at all possible.

Fingers crossed....

Well, just remember, lighter often tends to be more fragile.... Offs at Pueblo can ding a rim half...

I have a set of rediculously light Keizers (9 lbs per wheel, 15x8), but probably won't be taking them to the big track, they're for autox. Untill the budget opens up (in about 20 years... dry.gif ), I'll be running the Diamond racing wheels at the big track.

-Josh2
JPB
QUOTE(byndbad914 @ Apr 30 2007, 01:25 AM) *

QUOTE(JPB @ Apr 29 2007, 06:16 PM) *

Nice, I just ordered mine a couple days ago with the black center. 6-8wks to ship so no instant gratification of any sort with that one! I have long studs on order and need to get some slicks on the way... I think it will look bitchin' on the semi-flat 914 with polished rim halves - I like just a few "chrome" accents with semi-flat to break it up so I am looking forward to having them on the car.

Freekin sweet! You have to post some pics of that bro. That is like the toughest combo around. beer.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(JPB @ May 20 2007, 05:08 AM) *

Freekin sweet! You have to post some pics of that bro. That is like the toughest combo around. beer.gif

I will get some pics and post when they show up. I just spoke to Kodiak to see if I could still widen the rears and they assured me they are so booked up they haven't started mine dry.gif or biggrin.gif I am not sure - it gives me a chance to make up my mind on rear width but dammit, I want 'em laugh.gif

I have a track day on the calendar the 31st and I plan to beat the living stromberg.gif out of the car to be sure whether I have more of a plow or loose car with the current setup to better determine if I want more rear tire (if it is plowing, more rear tire won't help for instance).

It was sorta neutral the last track day but I had barely gotten the new combo all warmed up when the distributor electronics tanked, so I need to get a good track day and see where I stand. I changed the wheels to 11.5" width from 11" just in case they get started (bigger will help hold the V8 power) but the gal implied I probably have a good chance of changing it back even a week from now.

I don't need 'em and was warned they could be awhile, so I am not too worried and should appreciate the extra time to make up my mind, right? w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.