Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Thread!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Pat Garvey
How were these originally finished? Gotta start somewhere!
Bleyseng
They look good gold plated biggrin.gif
jd74914
What are they?
Bleyseng
Fuel injector brackets
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 14 2007, 08:30 AM) *

Geoff,

Nope, not gold or other plated. I found these in a plastic bag in the basement - from a '73 2.0 that I "experimented" with 15 years ago. They were rusty, so I gave them a 48 hr soak in white vinegar, toothbrushed off the powdered rust & here they are. Good set of spares, but they'll startoxidizing again real fast.

Obviously, these things were "plated" or "coated" from the factory, but what with? The ones in my '72 are (grin) Simichromed to chrome appearance & I want to replace them with these, assuming I can find the right coating. Any ideas?

BTW, to others viewing this post, these are fuel injector retainers. On the back side of each should be a large rubber O-ring to prevent vacuum leaks. Why do I have them? Per my wife, I'm a packrat! To me, you can NEVER have enough spares! Today, I just recieved 2 throttle switches that I got for 99 cents each - and they test positive. Just try to find one of these! Nope, they aren't for sale - as I said, I'm a packrat, who just happens to believe that the originalo fuel injection is best for the 914/4.

Nonetheless, does anyone know how these were plated? I suspect yellow chrome.
TJB/914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 14 2007, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 14 2007, 08:30 AM) *

Geoff,

Nope, not gold or other plated. I found these in a plastic bag in the basement - from a '73 2.0 that I "experimented" with 15 years ago. They were rusty, so I gave them a 48 hr soak in white vinegar, toothbrushed off the powdered rust & here they are. Good set of spares, but they'll startoxidizing again real fast.

Obviously, these things were "plated" or "coated" from the factory, but what with? The ones in my '72 are (grin) Simichromed to chrome appearance & I want to replace them with these, assuming I can find the right coating. Any ideas?

BTW, to others viewing this post, these are fuel injector retainers. On the back side of each should be a large rubber O-ring to prevent vacuum leaks. Why do I have them? Per my wife, I'm a packrat! To me, you can NEVER have enough spares! Today, I just recieved 2 throttle switches that I got for 99 cents each - and they test positive. Just try to find one of these! Nope, they aren't for sale - as I said, I'm a packrat, who just happens to believe that the originalo fuel injection is best for the 914/4.

Nonetheless, does anyone know how these were plated? I suspect yellow chrome.

Hi Pat & others

I've been missing in action lately. Just want everyone to know I am not mad, just up to my eyeballs in work, etc. I think those F.I. retaines are zinc coated. When i had mine done that's what the plating expert told me.

Tom
davep
I had a bunch of those plated in zinc (silver) and they look pretty original. I'd have to find them to take a photo.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 18 2007, 05:44 PM) *

I had a bunch of those plated in zinc (silver) and they look pretty original. I'd have to find them to take a photo.

Thanks Dave - sorta what I remembered. You're the second to tell me that, but rather than gold plate them (NOT), I'll go with zinc.

You can never have enough spares!

Pat
Bleyseng
Yes, they were zinc plated.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.