Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cross country road trip in my new teener!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
My wife (being the adventurous person she is) and I are picking up a 914 in LA, and driving it back to Clinton, TN.

Tentative plans (subject to change should the wife take too much time shopping for Indian jewelry along the way)...

Leaving LA on April 19th to Phoenix, then through Albuquerque and onto Amarillo on the 20th, then home on the 21st.

If anyone along this drive would like to give us their number (in case of emergencies) we would appreciate it. Also, if anyone wants to get together on the drive, just let us know.

Our cell numbers are 727-483-0260 or 727-204-6806

Thanks!
Rob driving.gif
jim_hoyland
Let's see your new find.... popcorn[1].gif
914rrr
porschecb
You should tell us more about the car. That way we can tell you if can make the trip. (with out problems) biggrin.gif We don't need your phone number! You need ours! biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Whats your route? I 40? Lots of good folks here in Okieland.
iamchappy
Make sure it's got good tires...
914rrr
Thanks for all the responses so far! We are going I10 to I17 to I40 through to Tennesse.

Info on the 914: '76 914 2.0, still FI. PPI done, as well as serviced at Otto's in Venice. We are having a pre-trip full service done at Otto's next week before we leave. It does have new tires, brakes, master cylinder, clutch, etc. More info and pics to come when we get home!

Rob
PinetreePorsche
Wait a minute, Rob. Your profile below says you already have a '76 2.0 --what gives? Is that one all rusted out, or did you just need a vacation/shopping trip. Does she get to spend as much in Navajo-land as you did in LA?
914rrr
QUOTE(PinetreePorsche @ Apr 14 2007, 03:54 PM) *

Wait a minute, Rob. Your profile below says you already have a '76 2.0 --what gives? Is that one all rusted out, or did you just need a vacation/shopping trip. Does she get to spend as much in Navajo-land as you did in LA?

The present 76 2.0 has a title, but is a more of a donor car. It could give up some good spare parts, though. Wife saw the thread before I did. Thanks alot, LOL! slap.gif
r_towle
Rob,
Contact Greg Robbins.

He has compiled what is called the emergency contact list just for this type of trip.

It includes contact with trailers, garage space and tools as well as rides, etc...

It is all of us supporting crazy cross country drivers...
there is a link on the .club site at the top of the forum, but Greg is also a member here...

Rich
watsonrx13
Rob, congratulations .... I hope you and Nel will enjoy the ride... driving.gif driving-girl.gif

-- Rob
914rrr
Well, we hit a major snafu. After I booked the airline tix (non-refundable BTW), the hotels for the trip back , etc., the owner informs me tonight that "...Oh, by the way, I took out a small loan against the car..." and he has a lien on it!

He thought that he could just walk into his credit union with the payoff and walk out with a title. WRONG!!!! mad.gif headbang.gif alfred.gif slap.gif chair.gif

From what I can gather from the CA DMV website, we are talking about 2-3 weeks minimum for him to get a transferable title in his hands. Am I missing something and this could possibly happen in a matter of days?

Needless to say, I'm furious!!!!
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(914rrr @ Apr 14 2007, 09:00 PM) *

Well, we hit a major snafu. After I booked the airline tix (non-refundable BTW), the hotels for the trip back , etc., the owner informs me tonight that "...Oh, by the way, I took out a small loan against the car..." and he has a lien on it!

What a DICK, sorry.
914rrr
If the car wasn't so sweet, I'd tell him to FO. He's still going to get an earfull for being utterly clueless!

He even told me that the price in ad was wrong, and the price was $500 higher. Fine, I'll pay that. sheeplove.gif

Not only that, but he informed me that the receipts that were supposed to come with the car from the PO can't be found. Probably more like "I can't be bothered to look for them."
KaptKaos
QUOTE(914rrr @ Apr 14 2007, 09:14 PM) *

If the car wasn't so sweet, I'd tell him to FO. He's still going to get an earfull for being utterly clueless!

Run! Don't walk, run! This is a major league red flag.

I don't know this car, but when I hear this kind of stuff, I expect that the headaches will continue.

914rrr
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Apr 14 2007, 08:24 PM) *

QUOTE(914rrr @ Apr 14 2007, 09:14 PM) *

Run! Don't walk, run! This is a major league red flag.

I don't know this car, but when I hear this kind of stuff, I expect that the headaches will continue.

The car got a big thumb3d.gif up from the last 2 shops that worked on it and a thorough visual inspection by a member here. I can't blame the car for it's owner being an idiot!
brp914
well, I believe you've already had a ppi and had it looked at by ottos, so probably the car is alright in spite of this inconsiderate jerk. Who takes out a loan on a 914?! this guy really needs to be whacked with a 2x4, might be therapeutic for him.

I recently bought a boxster off ebay. I went out and met him. I looked over the car. We negotiated a price. We shook hands and laughed how easy it was. Fun really. I met him the next day to pay and pick it up. Honorable people make life enjoyable. Sorry you had to go through this.
Crazyhippy
I'd tell him to go pound sand over the $500, and that you want $500 off for the airline tickets/reciepts...

You had a verbal contract, and he is breaking it.

I've got a 2x4, and can travel...

BJH
73Phoenix20
Rob, does the Credit Union hold the ACTUAL paper title to the car? In Indiana, they do, and if you pay off a lien, the Credit Union simply stamps the actual title as Lien Canceled, and off you go. Have no idea how they do it in CA (land of ... well, we won't go there) but if in fact it works that way, you could still be in business (except for the $500.00 and no paperwork thing... sounds iffy there)
Will the Owner give you the phone number of the Credit Union so that you can speak with them directly? Of course, they are going to want cash or possibly a Bank Check, or probably they would take a Wire Transfer, which would probably be the safest way to do it... then you know the money goes directly to pay off the car, and you wait around for them to hand over the title....
I'm sure the CA folks can give you the straight skinny on how it works out there, but I don't see why the CA DMV ever has to get involved... you aren't going to register the car in CA... just slap a TN plate on it and drive carefully! And have your Title and a Bill Of Sale with you to prove you really bought! Don't forget to have your Ins. Company cover it for the trip... normally, if you are close to your agent, they will give you coverage with just the VIN of the car, and a binder fee to get things started.
914rrr
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Apr 14 2007, 09:56 PM) *

Rob, does the Credit Union hold the ACTUAL paper title to the car? In Indiana, they do, and if you pay off a lien, the Credit Union simply stamps the actual title as Lien Canceled, and off you go. Have no idea how they do it in CA (land of ... well, we won't go there) but if in fact it works that way, you could still be in business (except for the $500.00 and no paperwork thing... sounds iffy there)
Will the Owner give you the phone number of the Credit Union so that you can speak with them directly? Of course, they are going to want cash or possibly a Bank Check, or probably they would take a Wire Transfer, which would probably be the safest way to do it... then you know the money goes directly to pay off the car, and you wait around for them to hand over the title....
I'm sure the CA folks can give you the straight skinny on how it works out there, but I don't see why the CA DMV ever has to get involved... you aren't going to register the car in CA... just slap a TN plate on it and drive carefully! And have your Title and a Bill Of Sale with you to prove you really bought! Don't forget to have your Ins. Company cover it for the trip... normally, if you are close to your agent, they will give you coverage with just the VIN of the car, and a binder fee to get things started.

We checked out the CA DMV..and this is what we found..it seems the DMV is VERY involved. Can any CA people provide their experiences with this?

Requirements after paying off your car loan.

After you pay off your loan, the lienholder will sign the title and mail it to you. If the lienholder is in DMV’s Electronic Lien and Title Program (ELT), the title will be automatically mailed to you. The ELT is a voluntary program for lienholders that provides the lienholder with an electronic (paperless) certificate of title in lieu of a paper title.

Submit your title to DMV within 30 days to remove the lienholder's name, and DMV will issue a new title in your name. There is a transfer fee to remove or change a legal owner. (The mailing address is listed below.)
Twystd1
914rr,

That is exactly correct.

NOTE: If you or the seller (hopefully both) have Triple A...

Use their service instead of the DMV... It works fast and is less headache... (most of the time)

I have been in your exact DMV / lienholder position as a buyer.

The lien holder HAS to sign off on the title. Then it's no problem after that... Thats is really your only registration hurdle.

Clayton
73Phoenix20
Soooo.. what if the Credit Bureau is NOT in the ELT, or "paperless" system?
If they hold the paper Title, which is what you need to find out, all they have to do is "sign the title" and give it to you right then and there, OR, have them mail it to you in TN, and have the owner give you a Bill Of Sale to travel with.

If they ARE using the ELT system, it sounds a bit more complicated... sounds to me like a way for CA DMV to collect more money! The final question is, can you trust the Seller to go thru the "hoops" to get you a title, after you pay off and pick up the car... Is there any extra money on the table that you could "hold back" as sort of an escrow, until you receive clear title?
KaptKaos
You guys are missing the point.

You assume that the guy that wants an additional $500 and "forgot to mention" that there is a lein on the car, will pay off said lein and see the title process through from start to finish.

What happens if he skates town, and takes the car? You have no title, no money and you will have to try and sue him from TN.

If you want this specific car, make him pay off the loan and make the transaction when he has the title in hand.

You're a big boy, I am sure you will sort this out. Sorry if this was pedantic. I'll shut up now. I hope it all goes well.
sww914
I'd still go for it, but I'd go to the credit union with him and make sure that he pays off the lien, and I'd tell him to eat stromberg.gif on the extra $500.00.
Tell him take it or leave it, and you'll sue for the lost travel expenses if he doesn't take it. Tell him your stepfather/brother-in-law/uncle whatever is a lawyer (in CA) and he'll work for free for you.
914rrr
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Apr 14 2007, 11:34 PM) *

You guys are missing the point.

You assume that the guy that wants an additional $500 and "forgot to mention" that there is a lein on the car, will pay off said lein and see the title process through from start to finish.

What happens if he skates town, and takes the car? You have no title, no money and you will have to try and sue him from TN.

If you want this specific car, make him pay off the loan and make the transaction when he has the title in hand.

You're a big boy, I am sure you will sort this out. Sorry if this was pedantic. I'll shut up now. I hope it all goes well.

"make him pay off the loan and make the transaction when he has the title in hand.".....that is exactly what we did. We can't fly in, then pay off the car. Even if the credit union holds the paper title, he still has to go through the CA DMV (as I am understanding it) to get a title in his name. so we are making him pay if off first, get the title in his name, fax us a copy of it, THEN we will come get the car.

We planned on coming in, paying for the car, and driving away.
914rrr
QUOTE(Twystd1 @ Apr 14 2007, 10:50 PM) *

914rr,

That is exactly correct.

NOTE: If you or the seller (hopefully both) have Triple A...

Use their service instead of the DMV... It works fast and is less headache... (most of the time)

I have been in your exact DMV / lienholder position as a buyer.

The lien holder HAS to sign off on the title. Then it's no problem after that... Thats is really your only registration hurdle.

Clayton

I will look into the AAA deal. I am a member and will call them to find out how they work this.

How was using AAA better than not using AAA? How much faster was it?

DBCooper
In California AAA has an arrangement with the DMV to do paperwork in their own offices. Neat, clean and fast.

I think you're making this more complicated than it really is. The $500 was not a good sign, but not necessarily a deal-killer. Call his credit union, confirm they have the paper copy of the pink on site or can get it there, and then set up an appointment with them together with the seller to meet to transfer the pink. The loan officer should be able to sign it then and there when the balance is paid.. No big deal and that's all you need to resolve that. Get the seller's signature on the pink releasing interest at the same time and it's done. You have ten days or two weeks or something to transfer the title into your name, which you can do after you get back to your state. If you go a few days past that while you're traveling it shouldn't be a problem, out of state troopers won't know or care what the deadline is, and you'll have a bill of sale to explain things anyway. Your insurance company will provide insurance for some period (check with them) from when you buy a car until you notify them.

The bigger question, I think, is whether your seller is flaky. Not a good feeling, but you know that some people are simply not very together. Not necessarily bad people, just disorganized. May or may not be the case, I don't know. I'd list the promises made and what you expect and ask him to confirm before you travel. A contract in other words. Tell him the tickets are non-refundable (although you'll actually get a credit coupon) and tell him you'll need compensation if this doesn't work out, so he's going to be responsible for those things you listed. Telling him you'll sue is an empty threat and will just provoke an immediate bail (if that's what you want) or at least very defensive behaviour which will probably sink the deal anyway. A threat of small claims court action in your home state? That's no threat at all.

If the car's worth it just organize things. As long as the seller's not actually a thief you should be able to get it done.
Joe Ricard
When I got my car I had a VERY close personal friend do the transaction for me. I sent the owner 500 bucks to seal the deal and get everything in order.

I sent my friend the balance and he picked up the car and the signed clear title. The title was mailed to me I did the transfer of ownership. I flew out to get the car with Mississippi plates and a title in my name.
Fairly un-eventfull transaction. But having a trustworthymiddle man helps allot.
914rrr
Thanks for all the info. I am going to wait until he gets his title, then I will proceed with the deal. No title, no deal. Easy...and less stress.

Twystd1
The seller will almost for sure do it your way...

And I will tell you why.

NO MATTER WHOM HE SELLS THIS CAR TO.

He will have to do the same document trail. And he knows it... or he is a thief.

If you think about it.... In a way... You have the upper hand. If you play your cards correctly.

Clayton
LvSteveH
I know California has it's own set of ever changing rules, but it doesn't make sense that he'd have to re-title it after the lien is released. Once the bank signs off on the title and releases it, and he also signs off releasing his interest in it, it's a clean, fully negotiable title. You should be able to take that to your local DMV without issue. Some states require a separate bill of sale, others do not.

Most banks have a procedure for releasing the title at the time payment is rendered for transactions like yours. Mine requires cash or wire transfer, then they will hand you the title, same day.

It sounds like the $500 in question was part of the negotiated selling price, and the objection was that he wanted $500 more than the advertised price if I'm understanding correctly. I've agreed to pay more than the asking price to take a car off the market. It sucks, but it beats losing the car to a local buyer, especially if you really want it.

I've bought some very nice cars from some VERY flaky people. I'm sure it will all work out if you stick with it.
scruz914
QUOTE(LvSteveH @ Apr 17 2007, 01:03 AM) *

Once the bank signs off on the title and releases it, and he also signs off releasing his interest in it, it's a clean, fully negotiable title. You should be able to take that to your local DMV without issue. Some states require a separate bill of sale, others do not.

Most banks have a procedure for releasing the title at the time payment is rendered for transactions like yours. Mine requires cash or wire transfer, then they will hand you the title, same day.

That is how I did it as a seller (not of a 914). Buyer and I went to the bank, buyer gave them the money, bank signed the pink slip to release their title and I signed it releasing my interest. The buyer drove away in the car with the pink slip signed over to him, all within 30 min. I suggest you write your own bill of sale stating what you want to have on it and get the seller to sign it.

Good luck. Hope it works out for you.

-Jeff
jasons
QUOTE(914rrr @ Apr 15 2007, 07:35 AM) *

Thanks for all the info. I am going to wait until he gets his title, then I will proceed with the deal. No title, no deal. Easy...and less stress.

Definitely the right choice. I'm jumping in here a little late, and I didn't read the whole thread but let me tell you my experience.

I bought a 912E on ebay. Seller tells me he drove the car daily and put about 16k on it since he got it. And, its good to drive from San Diego to Phoenix. Tells me he is selling it to buy a boxster. I feel good, the car is a driver, he is a Porsche guy. Calls me the day before I'm supposed to fly, "Oh I just realized Porsche Odometers read six digits. The mileage isn't 128k, its 280k." I don't care about the mileage, as long as the car is solid, I'm still a buyer. Now he tells me, "I'm selling it to buy a van for work". I'm wondering, what about the Boxster, my Bullshit radar is pinging. But, I trust myself to know whether I want the car upon inspection. I can always fly home. I get to San Diego and he picks me up, we go to a parking lot to complete the deal. I notice the car hasn't been registered in like 4 years, and he told me he's put 16k on it in the last couple years? So, I ask to see the title. Its not even in his name. Its signed over to someone, but not him. Now in AZ, I could never transfer a title like that. No chance, its not worth the paper its printed on here. I flew home. If I ever buy an out of state car again, I will put much more "due diligence" into the deal.

You did the right thing to walk away. Read this story about the guy who bought the M3. Its a total F'n nightmare.

BMW E30 M3 Part 1

BMW E30 M3 Part 2

ConeDodger
QUOTE(914rrr @ Apr 14 2007, 11:09 PM) *

QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Apr 14 2007, 09:56 PM) *

We checked out the CA DMV..and this is what we found..it seems the DMV is VERY involved. Can any CA people provide their experiences with this?

Requirements after paying off your car loan.

After you pay off your loan, the lienholder will sign the title and mail it to you. If the lienholder is in DMV’s Electronic Lien and Title Program (ELT), the title will be automatically mailed to you. The ELT is a voluntary program for lienholders that provides the lienholder with an electronic (paperless) certificate of title in lieu of a paper title.

Submit your title to DMV within 30 days to remove the lienholder's name, and DMV will issue a new title in your name. There is a transfer fee to remove or change a legal owner. (The mailing address is listed below.)

Since living in California the last 12 years, I have found that the DMV only makes mistakes about half the time. This usually involves renewals. I have five titled vehicles and each year they make a mistake and send me back a check for a renewal they cannot figure out what to do with even though the vehicle is referenced in the memo on the check. I have a check for $193.00 sitting on my desk right now. It says BMW Motorcycle and the license number right on the memo. Wrote March 23, got it back yesterday.
You should be able to just purchase the car with a bill of sale but go to the credit union with the guy... Stand there while he pays it off. Identify yourself as the buyer.
jasons
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Apr 17 2007, 08:51 AM) *

You should be able to just purchase the car with a bill of sale but go to the credit union with the guy... Stand there while he pays it off. Identify yourself as the buyer.

I know I've been able to do exactly this here in AZ. I bought a flip car from a co-worker and we went to the credit union and we got the title notorized and a lien release letter at the same time.

You should also find out what your state requires on an out of state title. On out of state titles here, they want to inspect the car and title to make sure there is no tampering. This isn't some kind of road worthtiness inspection, just a VIN inspection.

What bothers me about your deal, is what you are finding out after the deal was made. Thats not right. "Danger Will Robinson"
burton73
Rob,

The credit union has the pink slip. (The ownership paper (You need to find out what office has that paper. If you lucky it is at one office and you can go there with the guy and pay him/them and they will sine it off and he will sine it and give it to you and you are done. The only problem or question of your trusting him comes if it is at an office that is not in this town and is say 100 miles away. You would then need to get them to sign off the lean in front of you and get it notarized in there office of make papers up showing that the loan has been paid off by him and you are taking possession of the car and get it notarized in there office with all parties there. They would send it to you later. You would have possession of the car and the notarized bill of sale and the car in you possession as proof. This is done all the time as cars are sold to people when people still owe money on them. Call and ask. If they do not have it at the local office they can overnight it to the local office. It is the 17th. so you have time.

If you are lucky the office where he got the loan has the pink and you are done.

Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.