Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Me & the car both survived a DE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SGB
....practice.

Thats what it really is all about. I don't think there are any 914 drivers that are unaware of the car's dynamic behavior. We just need to experience it over and over untill it is intuitive.

My instructer had a 2 liter- and he towed it with a Cayenne!

And it was raining. And my carb linkage went floooey in mid run.

But I got it back together- damn wimpy set screw on the throttle arm. hex bar connection (that may be another thread)- and rebalanced in the rain. Enough so that I passed a few folks,a GTI and a couple of 911s even. - but I think one had a mechanical problem....

The track was ideal for 914's. Tight 1-1/3 mile 10 turns with 3 straights, one sweeping mildly banked turn, a decreasing radius, an increasing radius, a nice little kink- 3rd and 4th gear only for me. If the rain had not become worse, I believe I could have caught 5th for a sec at the end of the fastest straight where I was just almost at 90 before braking.

I did rev pretty hard in my four track sessions, but I don't think I used the brakes to the best advantage. I haven't checked the wear yet but I really wasn't too hard on 'em. I didn't use much oil, but a valve cover vent line popped off in the last session so I converted some to cosmoline that way.

It was quite a buzz. Now I need a LOT MORE practice.... driving.gif
Jake Raby
Scott, You'll learn real quick to use DOUBLE set screws on those hex arms and to set them in red loctite, tightened as much as humanly possible.
SGB
a few pictures. The last one is the left rear tire after the 160 mi return trip. What is left of my collection of organic material. .. I got this just outside the turn at the end of the second straight after my fastest exit from the turn at the end of the first straight. Prolly not good to combine fastest time with biggest downpour...
SGB
blurry
SGB
my instructor's
SGB
others
SGB
maybe I should get this remounted...
SGB
more...
SGB
before the rain
Crazyhippy
Re-mounted is good cheap piece of mind (and will stop the slow leaks)

Track time is like crack... Welcome to junkies annon. End up w/ some really strange track marks too (They look like tire imprints huh.gif)
SGB
lemme see if I can get a vein up....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.