Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Grouper Sandwich in the Keys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
orthobiz
Lyle aka 73Phoenix20 and his wife met up with our family in the Florida Keys on our recent vacation. He was one of the very first people I called in my search for the perfect car and although he had recently sold his, he had tons of info, advice and contacts. I'm strictly a 914 Porsche guy, but Lyle mixes it up a bit, as evidenced by his 968 hat. A good time was had by all, great meeting another World member. Thanks, Lyle!

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Apr 14 2007, 09:25 PM) *

Lyle aka 73Phoenix20 and his wife met up with our family in the Florida Keys on our recent vacation. He was one of the very first people I called in my search for the perfect car and although he had recently sold his, he had tons of info, advice and contacts. I'm strictly a 914 Porsche guy, but Lyle mixes it up a bit, as evidenced by his 968 hat. A good time was had by all, great meeting another World member. Thanks, Lyle!

Paul

Oooh! Conch fritters! Lemmee have some - bet I can eat more!

What a great place!
Pat
ws91420
Been to the World Famous Tiki Bar yet for a rum runner
Jake Raby
My favorite place in the world!!

Go hand out at Bud and Mary's and if you want to wet a hook schedule a day on the Reef Runner....

My dad still has a World Record Dolphin (Mahi- Mahi) on the wall that was caught onboard the Reef Runner 33 years ago!

I try to get to Islamorada once/ year...
Gint
Shar and I just spent a week in Islamorada at the Chesapeake Resort. It was our second trip. I didn't realize there were teeners down there. Love going down in the winter
orthobiz
Gint: Cool. I feel a regular reunion coming on for next year!

Paul
SGB
I'm confused.

they look NORMAL.

wish I was down there.....

(meaning- if I was in the pic it wouldn't look normal)
73Phoenix20
We had the wives and Paul's family along, so we had to TRY and look normal! Great Time had by all tho!

Not usually the case, with us folks down here in the Conch Republic...

Yes, Sounds like a "Teener Meet" needs to happen down here in Paradise next Winter. And Jake, Bud and Mary's is still there, althougth IIRC, they changed hands last year... seems like most everything has down here since Wilma blew through. The Good News, tho... the Loreli and The Green Turtle have both been restored, albeit in slightly different form, but nice... and a new Brazilian Steakhouse opened up next to the Whale Harbor all you can eat buffet restaurant... rather 'spensive, but GREAT selection of grilled meats and Chimichuri... ya gotta like garlic!!!

Click to view attachment
JoeSharp
Hopefully, The Team NARP Headquarters will move to
The Keys in 2010.
Zimms
Why not schedule it around Sebring and up the 914 attendance at the PCA tent? The lone teener was Doug Waters silver /6. The race is great, and the tip of the keys are only 3-4 hours from Sebring.
Gint
QUOTE(73Phoenix20 @ Apr 14 2007, 10:34 PM) *
...and a new Brazilian Steakhouse opened up next to the Whale Harbor all you can eat buffet restaurant... rather 'spensive, but GREAT selection of grilled meats and Chimichuri... ya gotta like garlic!!!

The place we stayed in February was right next door!

For those that jave never been down to the Keys, you're missing out. Sunsets look like this every day.

Click to view attachment
blitZ
Being a Florida boy, that's my favorite spot on Earth. Best fishing beautiful water and good diving, I try to get back there as often as possible, always up for a road trip.

If only I could tow my boat with my teener? idea.gif

IPB Image
Jake Raby
My favorite restaurant was really disappointing on my last trip down there.... I don't remember the name of it, but it's the only Pink restaurant on the Isle...

The last few years we haven't been able to make it further south than Bonita Springs for some Snook fishing- time just doesn't allow more with the craziness that RAT dishes out.
73Phoenix20
Click to view attachment

Yes, indeed! And... that is just the size boat you need to do all of the "Right Stuff" down here! My other "Toy"...
73Phoenix20
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 15 2007, 08:26 AM) *

My favorite restaurant was really disappointing on my last trip down there.... I don't remember the name of it, but it's the only Pink restaurant on the Isle...

Pink... I'm trying to think of one painted that color, but the only one that comes to mind is the Outback, just north of Bud and Mary's, on the Ocean side...

And if that's the one, you're right; not much to write home about, lately.

"Lazy Days" is decent, and they are immediately to the north of Bud and Mary's marina... Of course, the Islamorada Fish Company, and the Islamorada Fish Club restaurant, but that's one of those "Member's Only" joints, and I only go as a guest! chowtime.gif

Bentley's, if you can get a table, is 3 Stars, as is Uncle's. For bigger wallet's, Ziggy's Crab Shack, and of course, Little Palm Island, but I can't say the food is all that much better. For lunch, go to the Whistlestop and get their Cheeseburger and a side of Chili Fries!

In Key Largo, it's Encore, Snapper's, Gus's at the Marriot (Best Calamari I have EVER had, and no, they don't taste like rubber bands!!!), or Buzzard's Roost, Sundowner's (best view of the Bay), or Snooks Bayside.

Been down here winters on and off since 1990, and still finding new one's!
SirAndy
QUOTE(SGB @ Apr 14 2007, 08:59 PM) *

(meaning- if I was in the pic it wouldn't look normal)

have you ever?
biggrin.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.