Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Exhaust Nut
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
In taking off the bolts on my heat exchanger, one bolt (you all know the one) has been tough to get to. Is there a special tool?

Should I grind down a 13MM socket?

Any ideas.
SGB
The stud has probably been replaced and didn't line up right (most of my exhaust studs have some conflict with the pipe or the head). Have you tried hammeing the socket on? I've used a big screwdriver to make room enough to jam the socket in with some persuasion.
rhodyguy
try a 1/4" drive socket in the appropriate size. usually, the thinner wall of the 1/4 socket will squeeze in. sometimes requiring a bit of persuasion. gentle tapping on an extension helps.

k
EdwardBlume
Thanks.

The pipes are stock from the factory and it shows. I used a 1/4 inch drive too. Its just tight between the tin.

I think the tool I need is me getting better position under the car without Ginting myself.
TheCabinetmaker
remove the other three nuts on that header and tap the header a few times with a hammer ( I said "tap"). It should be loose enough to pry it over a smidge with a large screwdriver.

Disclaimer: I bear no responsibility for broken pipes due to not knowing the difference between a tap and large blow biggrin.gif
shaggy
i dont know if you have the copper exhaust nuts that i have but i use a 12mm.

for that hard one i used the 12mm shallow with a u joint and a 4'' extension.

hope that helps
-jim
Twystd1
Double copper colored nuts from aircooled.net for me.

And I put Milk of Magnesia on ALL my exhaust studs and/or bolts.

MOM = high temp anti seize.

The best part is... if you snap an exhaust stud... And you want to throw up.... You have the remedy in your tool box. Dual purpose stuff....!!!!!!

Clayton
Joe Ricard
Yea 12mm works gooder.
Friends don't let friends run stock pipes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.